Thinking Outside the Box...

Old August 5th 05, 01:52 AM
john smith

Default Thinking Outside the Box...

Jay was lamenting the lack of small vendors on the AirVenture grounds
this year.

Here is an idea for the enterprising owner of the shopping center which
formerly was home to WalMart and PigglyWiggly...

Why not rent booth space in those empty stores to small vendors at a
reasonable rate?

It sure beats having empty square footage with no tenants.
Allow vendors to have evening hours. This would increase traffic by
providing a place for people to go after the airshow while they are
waiting for traffic to thin out.
Old August 5th 05, 02:01 AM
Matt Whiting

john smith wrote:

Jay was lamenting the lack of small vendors on the AirVenture grounds
this year.

Here is an idea for the enterprising owner of the shopping center which
formerly was home to WalMart and PigglyWiggly...

Why not rent booth space in those empty stores to small vendors at a
reasonable rate?

It sure beats having empty square footage with no tenants.
Allow vendors to have evening hours. This would increase traffic by
providing a place for people to go after the airshow while they are
waiting for traffic to thin out.

You mean a Wal-Mart actually went OUT of business? That's a new one...

Matt
Old August 5th 05, 02:06 AM
john smith

Matt Whiting wrote:
You mean a Wal-Mart actually went OUT of business? That's a new one...

No, two years ago they built a superduperstore two miles north on the
west side of the highway.
Old August 5th 05, 02:14 AM
Matt Whiting

john smith wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

You mean a Wal-Mart actually went OUT of business? That's a new one...

No, two years ago they built a superduperstore two miles north on the
west side of the highway.

Should have known! :-(

Matt
Old August 5th 05, 02:14 AM
Dave S

Walmart left Hearne, Texas over 10 years ago.. I dont think they've been
back.. Its been about that long since I had a reason to drive through
there in any event.

Dave

Old August 5th 05, 04:01 AM
Jay Honeck

Here is an idea for the enterprising owner of the shopping center which
formerly was home to WalMart and PigglyWiggly...

Why not rent booth space in those empty stores to small vendors at a
reasonable rate?

Hmmm. The small malls around here do that sort of thing with "crafters" two
or three times a year, allowing them to set up their booths, selling their
goofy lawn ornaments and lace thingies in exchange for a small fee.

It could work, with the proper advertising -- but I'll bet EAA would squash
it quickly.

Or, perhaps, they would respond by coming up with a "Fly Market, Jr" for
really small vendors?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 5th 05, 05:26 AM
Blanche

Jay Honeck wrote:
Here is an idea for the enterprising owner of the shopping center which
formerly was home to WalMart and PigglyWiggly...

Why not rent booth space in those empty stores to small vendors at a
reasonable rate?

Hmmm. The small malls around here do that sort of thing with "crafters" two
or three times a year, allowing them to set up their booths, selling their
goofy lawn ornaments and lace thingies in exchange for a small fee.

It could work, with the proper advertising -- but I'll bet EAA would squash
it quickly.

Since the shopping center is not on EAA grounds, why would they be
involved at all? Unless it's the classic case of the 900 pound
gorilla.

Old August 5th 05, 12:08 PM
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:

Here is an idea for the enterprising owner of the shopping center which
formerly was home to WalMart and PigglyWiggly...

Why not rent booth space in those empty stores to small vendors at a
reasonable rate?

Hmmm. The small malls around here do that sort of thing with "crafters" two
or three times a year, allowing them to set up their booths, selling their
goofy lawn ornaments and lace thingies in exchange for a small fee.

It could work, with the proper advertising -- but I'll bet EAA would squash
it quickly.

Or, perhaps, they would respond by coming up with a "Fly Market, Jr" for
really small vendors?

Either way, problem solved ... right?

Matt
Old August 5th 05, 01:01 PM
Denny

umm yup.... AIRVENTURE is THE gorilla in Oshkosh... It brings in
hundreds of thousands of dollars to the local businesses and to the tax
base, every year... My experience in the world of business is that the
gorilla will go whine to the local politicos and your your little
adventure in capitalism will be sorrounded by zoning inspectors with
ticket books just smoking, Wisconsin Use tax collection, health and
safety inspectors, and a very polite policeman who will say, "Oh you
don't have a permit for special use, oh and you don't have a license to
do business in Oshkosh, oh and you don't have a license to do business
in Wisconsin? Oh Well, just put your hands behind your back and recite
after me... You have the right to remain silent,,, Anything you say
can and WILL be used against you . . . "

Of course, I could be wrong, but I doubt it...

denny

Old August 5th 05, 07:18 PM
John T

Not a bad idea...if they keep the flea market junk dealers out.