Tent Buying Guide (long, print it out)

Old August 4th 05, 10:23 PM
john smith

("Mike Rapoport" wrote)
The bugs will get you at OSH if you use a tarp!

Montblack wrote:
Not one mosquito this year, not any last year either - and I'm a
mosquito magnet.
There were an inordinate number of crickets this year. They were all
over my campsite, which was ok because they were being quiet ...and, you
know, all that good luck stuff. I was in a cornfield campground 2 miles
south of the ultralights.

Reminds me of the old joke about the guy to took the innocent young
thing to the drive in and parked in the back row. As the are sitting
there watching the beginning of the movie, the lass comments, "Oh,
listen to all the crickets!"
To which her date replies, "Them's not crickets, honey. They's zippers."
Old August 5th 05, 04:32 AM
Morgans

"Montblack" wrote

Not one mosquito this year, not any last year either - and I'm a mosquito
magnet.

There were an inordinate number of crickets this year. They were all over

my
campsite, which was ok because they were being quiet ...and, you know, all
that good luck stuff. I was in a cornfield campground 2 miles south of the
ultralights.

Ants were my problem, this year. They even figured out how to climb my
power strip cord, into my van.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 5th 05, 05:19 PM
Flyingmonk

John wrote, "Personally, I have been experimenting with
light/ultra-light camping
using just a 10x12 siltarp and a piece of 6'x8' TYVEK. "

Reminds me of my younger years playing camping in the woods near our
house, we used trashbags cut open and tape.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Old August 5th 05, 05:40 PM
john smith

Flyingmonk wrote:
Reminds me of my younger years playing camping in the woods near our
house, we used trashbags cut open and tape.

I sort of do that now.
In my survival bag I carry two of the heavy-duty 55-gal (body) trash bags.
They can be used as sleeping bags, tarps or bivy sacks, or ponchos.
Plus any other use you may require.
Old August 5th 05, 06:12 PM
Flyingmonk

They do come in handy.

Pirep: Garmin GPSMAP 296 versus 295. (very long) Jon Woellhaf Piloting 12 September 4th 04 11:55 PM
Naval Air Refueling Needs Deferred in Air Force Tanker Plan Henry J Cobb Military Aviation 47 May 22nd 04 03:36 AM
SWRFI Pirep.. (long) Dave S Home Built 20 May 21st 04 03:02 PM
SWRFI Pirep.. (long) Dave S Piloting 19 May 21st 04 03:02 PM
How I got to Oshkosh (long) Doug Owning 2 August 18th 03 12:05 AM