RAIM?

Old May 30th 04, 01:33 PM
Roy Smith

Default RAIM?

I've been doing most of my GPS flying with a CNX-80, which doesn't seem
to suffer from loss of RAIM. Last night I was flying with a GX-60, and
got a RAIM warning when commencing an approach.

The GX-60 manual isn't real illuminating on what you're supposed to do
at this point. Presumably, "continue the approach as if nothing
happened" would not be smart (although, being VFR, that's exactly what
we did last night).

So, what do you do? Ask ATC to hold someplace in the hopes the RAIM
warning goes away as the satellites shuffle around? If so, how long
would you expect this would take? Does the controller know enough about
GPS to understand what I mean if I tell him "I've got a RAIM alert"?
Old May 30th 04, 02:22 PM
Matt Whiting

Roy Smith wrote:
I've been doing most of my GPS flying with a CNX-80, which doesn't seem
to suffer from loss of RAIM. Last night I was flying with a GX-60, and
got a RAIM warning when commencing an approach.

The GX-60 manual isn't real illuminating on what you're supposed to do
at this point. Presumably, "continue the approach as if nothing
happened" would not be smart (although, being VFR, that's exactly what
we did last night).

So, what do you do? Ask ATC to hold someplace in the hopes the RAIM
warning goes away as the satellites shuffle around? If so, how long
would you expect this would take? Does the controller know enough about
GPS to understand what I mean if I tell him "I've got a RAIM alert"?

He's probably ask you why you were worried that it was raining? :-)

Seriously, good question, and I haven't seen this addressed yet in
anything I've read. Must be in the fine print somewhere though.

Matt

Old May 30th 04, 02:45 PM
Teacherjh

Last night I was flying with a GX-60, and
got a RAIM warning when commencing an approach.

The GX-60 manual isn't real illuminating on what you're supposed to do
at this point.

Switch to your backup navigation system, which you've been using all along.
This is one of the reasons why GPS is not authorized as a sole navigation means
(you need to have a backup)

Jose

Old May 30th 04, 03:44 PM
Mick Ruthven

You have no in-panel backup for a GPS approach not based on a VOR or some
other navaid. And that's authorized. If the RAIM warning persists you'd have
to treat it as navigation-equipment failure and discontinue the approach and
of course tell ATC. If the missed approach fix is also a GPS-only waypoint,
you'll need vectors to it. If you're not in radar coverage you've got
another problem; you have to know what a safe course of action is
considering the terrain.

Old May 30th 04, 07:48 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
"Bob Gardner" wrote:

Look to the AIM, not the manual. 1-1-20(j)(3) makes it clear.

Thanks for the reference (although, it looks like it's really 1-1-19,
not 1-1-20, at least in the version I've got). While that does clear
things up a bit, it still leaves one with a bit of head-scratching to do.

The immediate action is clear; continue to fly the approach track, but
do not descend to the MDA, and execute the missed when you reach the
MAWP.

But what then? It says I should contact ATC as soon as practical, but
what do I tell them? Presumably, I start with the obvious, "New York,
3875T, missed approach", but what do I want to do after that? If I just
get vectors back for another shot, is it likely that the condition which
caused the RAIM alert will have resolved itself by then?

Is there a standard phrasology for telling the controller you had a RAIM
alert? It seems like there should be some compact way to say, "I had a
problem with my GPS equipment, but don't worry, it'll fix itself in a
little while".
Old May 30th 04, 08:39 PM
Bob Gardner

Tracking those section and subsections makes my head ache, but 1-1-19 is
clearly labeled "Doppler Radar" in my 2004 FAR/AIM. In any event, a section
titled "Receiver Autonomous Integrity Monitoring," in subsection (3), tells
the reader that if a RAIM/status annunciation occurs prior to the final
approach waypoint, the approach should not be completed since GPS may no
longer provide the required accuracy." Subsection (4) says: "If the receiver
does not sequence into the approach mode or a RAIM failure/status
annunciation occurs prior to the FAWP the pilot should not descend to MDA
but should proceed to the missed approach waypoint (MAWP) via the FAWP,
perform a missed approach, and contact ATC as soon as practicable."

With the exception of telling us how to pronounce fiver and niner and how to
report altitudes, the AIM is not big on pilot phraseology, as you know. ATCH
tells controllers exactly what to say, with little wiggle room, but pilots
have no similar publication to refer to...and I suspect that that situation
will not change.

Bob Gardner

Old May 30th 04, 09:13 PM
Teacherjh

It says I should contact ATC as soon as practical, but
what do I tell them?

Tell them you've had a GPS RAIM alert. You should decide what you want to do,
and tell them what it is. "Request the NDB 23 approach" "Request hold at
ALBEE for four minutes, then another GPS approach" "Request two all beef
patties, special sauce...."

Jose

Old May 31st 04, 12:10 AM
Stan Gosnell

Roy Smith wrote in
:

The GX-60 manual isn't real illuminating on what you're
supposed to do at this point. Presumably, "continue the
approach as if nothing happened" would not be smart
(although, being VFR, that's exactly what we did last
night).

So, what do you do? Ask ATC to hold someplace in the hopes
the RAIM warning goes away as the satellites shuffle
around? If so, how long would you expect this would take?
Does the controller know enough about GPS to understand
what I mean if I tell him "I've got a RAIM alert"?

Depends. You do need to tell ATC about it, and they should know
exactly what you're talking about. You can hold, get vectors to
start the approach over, or whatever you want. RAIM warnings
usually go away within a few minutes - I seldom see them last 5
minutes.

--
Regards,

Stan
Old May 31st 04, 12:54 AM
Roy Smith

Stan Gosnell me@work wrote:
RAIM warnings usually go away within a few minutes - I seldom see
them last 5 minutes.

That's the piece of information I was looking for. Thanks!