Approaching Deep Stall

Old September 5th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Fred the Red Shirt

Default Approaching Deep Stall

For a while I have been wondering why there seem to be no
airplanes with a low wing and a high tail. Say for instance
with a fuselage and epenage like the Zodiac 701, but with
a low wing instead of the high wing. Then I read about deep
stall, as illustrated he

http://www.answers.com/topic/deep-stall-png

Here deep stall is defined as a condition in which the
main wing is stalled and the stabilizer is enveloped
in the turbulent wake of the stalled wing so that
the pilot has lost pitch control and thus cannot lower
the nose to recover. For certain airframe geometries,
(such as the illustration above) that condition can
occur even if the aircraft is within the proper CG limits.

My question regards the orientation that immediately
precedes the deep stall. If the angle of attack at stall
is exactly the same as the angle that puts the stabilizer
in the shadow of the wing, that will precipitate a deep
stall, right?

What if the wing stalls at a lower AOA? Would the
stabilizer then drop into the wake?

ISTM that if the AOA that stalls the wing is higher than
the AOA that puts the stabilizer in the wake of the wing
then that aircraft is immune to this sort of deep stall,
so long as it is flying within the CG limits, right?

--

FF

Old September 5th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
El Maximo

"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in message
oups.com...
For a while I have been wondering why there seem to be no
airplanes with a low wing and a high tail.

Like This?

http://www.kesnat.com/DSC06717.JPG

ISTM .....

ISTM????

Old September 5th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Fred the Red Shirt

On Sep 5, 6:39 pm, "El Maximo" wrote:
"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

For a while I have been wondering why there seem to be no
airplanes with a low wing and a high tail.
[rest of description deleted by EM]

Like This?

http://www.kesnat.com/DSC06717.JPG

Not quite. I was thinking of a conventional tail with the fin
and rudder extending above the stabilizer, rather than a
T-tail with the stabilizer perched on top of the fin.

That is why I described it as being like a Zodiac 701, but
with the wing dropped down to a low-wing position.

ISTM .....

ISTM????

It Seems To Me.

--

FF

Old September 5th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cjcampbell

On Sep 5, 11:29 am, Fred the Red Shirt
wrote:
For a while I have been wondering why there seem to be no
airplanes with a low wing and a high tail.

Duchess and Seminole come to mind.

Old September 5th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian[_1_]

On Sep 5, 12:45 pm, Fred the Red Shirt
wrote:
On Sep 5, 6:39 pm, "El Maximo" wrote:

"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

For a while I have been wondering why there seem to be no
airplanes with a low wing and a high tail.
[rest of description deleted by EM]

Like This?

http://www.kesnat.com/DSC06717.JPG

Not quite. I was thinking of a conventional tail with the fin
and rudder extending above the stabilizer, rather than a
T-tail with the stabilizer perched on top of the fin.

That is why I described it as being like a Zodiac 701, but
with the wing dropped down to a low-wing position.

ISTM .....

ISTM????

It Seems To Me.

--

FF

Commander 112 is sort of like this if I understand what you
describing.

http://www.commander.org/

Biran

Old September 5th 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

wrote:
For a while I have been wondering why there seem to be no
airplanes with a low wing and a high tail.

Tomahawk.

Old September 5th 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Tuite

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 21:18:53 -0700, Airbus wrote:

In article . com,
says...

wrote:
For a while I have been wondering why there seem to be no
airplanes with a low wing and a high tail.

Duchess and Seminole come to mind.

Not to mention the DC-9 and MDxx variants
or the KingAir200

And the Lockheed military transports.

AFIK, the only plane that had a problem with it ws the BAC 111, That
was Braniff 250 in August of 1966. But that was a case of a severe
T-storm ripping the tail off.

Don
Old September 6th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

http://tinyurl.com/2oefh6

Old September 6th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
[email protected][_1_]

wrote:
For a while I have been wondering why there seem to be no
airplanes with a low wing and a high tail.

Duchess and Seminole come to mind.

doesn't have to be a "high tail". ever heard of the Cheyenne II's
stability augmentation system? didn't really do a whole lot for
controllability, primarily made it feel like there was airflow over
the elevator when there wasn't much...

one has to be exploring the edges of the envelope, but other PA31's
are able to place the tail into "bad" air also.

TC
Old September 6th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul kgyy

An early model of the experimental Velocity developed this problem
during testing - ended up pancaking into a canal, iirc. Pilot
suffered back injuries but survived.

Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ Bill Darden Home Built 0 May 28th 07 11:57 AM
ILS approaching help Syucomm Simulators 8 December 13th 06 09:58 PM
deep hole Randall Robertson Simulators 9 April 22nd 04 07:51 PM
German AUV "Deep C" robert arndt Military Aviation 0 November 25th 03 04:07 PM
Approaching BFM... Craig Prouse Piloting 5 September 26th 03 04:50 AM