A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Microsoft Surface 4 as Laptop Replacement for Soaring Pilots?

Old May 8th 16, 12:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Microsoft Surface 4 as Laptop Replacement for Soaring Pilots?

For the record there is a considerable difference between the surface book and the surface pro "x". I have heard complaints about the pro in the past but as it was a fairly new product was not surprised. Now they are on the 4th edition, Surface Pro 4. I would have hoped the initial growing pains were solved. Perhaps not. The surface book is, unlike the Pro, a high end and very powerful machine. The pro is something between a laptop and microsofts answer to an iPad. I imagine your airline tried to load it up with some fairly intensive software and the Surface Pro 3 (can be bought with several speed processors, etc) was overwhelmed. But for occasional, light, simple native Windows applications such as SeeYou or SN10 utilities it is still probably OK. For the record I am not a Windows or Microsoft fan...
Old May 9th 16, 06:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade
external usenet poster

Yes, there is a HUGE difference between the Surface and the Surface Pro line. And there is also a huge jump in the first three generations of the Surface Pro line. I have a Pro 3 at home and a Pro 4 at work. The Pro 3 is decent for casual use. A mid-level or high end Surface Pro 4 can replace your home computer for most things (just hook up an external monitor or two, a mouse & keyboard, and you're good to go). And the keyboard-cover and pen for the Pro 4 are vastly better than the Pro 3 units.

The Surface Book is Microsoft's answer to the MacBook Pro and iPad Pro all in a "single" device. I don't totally get it myself; but my MacBook Pro is getting old so we'll see what I buy next. Haven't been as impressed with Apple in the last 2-3 years as I was durIng their tremendous run from 2006-2014.

--Noel

Old May 9th 16, 09:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Ruskin[_2_]
external usenet poster

I've just come back from five weeks' gliding with a Surface Pro 4 as my main computer. I think it's great. Runs See You, can download from loggers, edit waypoint files and so on. Runs LXSim and Styler. Has all my data and tools from my main PC. Also acts as an entertainment system - plug it into a TV and run Netflix, iPlayer etc.

I have an iPad which I read the papers on - but I wouldn't use it for any of the gliding stuff.

Paul