Oudie to Cambridge

Old March 11th 15, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HGXC[_3_]

Default Oudie to Cambridge

On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 10:57:06 PM UTC-4, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

I wonder, is there any chance that you have the pin order backwards. Pin 1
is on the right when connecting to the back of the male connector. It is on
the left when looking at the pins. Make sure you use a magnifying glass and
get the light angle right so you can read the raised pin number markings.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

"HGXC" wrote in message

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 5:17:11 PM UTC-5, vontresc wrote:
On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 4:06:35 PM UTC-6, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

I show the connections for the RJ45 to DB-9m adapter for use with a
GPS-NAV
and Oudie he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/seeyo...pter-RJ45-DB9m

Make sure you set the Oudie to comm port 4 and 4800 baud.

The SeeYou Mobile software can receive GPS and pressure altitude data
from
the GPS-NAV. I don't think it can receive vario or airspeed data sent
through from an L-NAV.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
____________________________________

"HGXC" wrote in message

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 12:56:42 PM UTC-5, vontresc wrote:
HGXC wrote:
Anyone using an Oudie connected to a Cambridge GPS model 20? I have
few questions.

Dennis

Yes mine is hooked up to a model 20 and s-nav.

What do you need to know?

Pete

Perhaps we can private email...

But in general I am setting up the DB9 serial connect so the Oudie can
talk
to the Cambridge

I would like to see a photo of the pin set up on the male serial that
plugs
into the Cambridge. Also if you are only using 3 pins (Sending
Receiving
and Ground) what do you do with the rest of the wires? Does the plug
only
show 3 pins?

Also how can i tell of the oudie is taking GPS from the cambridge? My
glider
is in storage but i can plug my cambridge in to power it up and I can
take
the three pins and insert them into the Cambridge and plug the mini usb
into
the Oudie. When i do that it is saying it lost GPS signal and is going
internal GPS so i am confused.

Thanks ...obviously I don't do electronics well.

Dennis

Paul is spot on. I still have the original Oudie cable that had a DB9
connector instead of the RJ45. That original cable will plug rught into
the DB9 on the back of the Model 20. Thena all you need to do is to
connect the power connectors to the ships power and you are done.

If you have the newer version with the RJ45 then follow Paul's
instructions to wire it up.

To test it you can go to the serial terminal mode under settings/hardware.
Should be 4800baud 8N1

Peter

Peter all...its a bit frustrating as i still get a warning that I lost my
primary GPS signal and going to back up. When i go to hardware i get the
reading 4800 baud N 8 1. Its charging right from my 12 volt. I have tripled
checked my red black and orange pins. Now i haven't clicked them in the
converter yet i am just sticking the pins individually into the 2,3,and5
sockets.
Any other set up stuff i could be missing?

Dennis

"Make sure you use a magnifying glass and
get the light angle right so you can read the raised pin number markings."

BINGO! I didn't take into consideration that I must be blind - I was off in the pin settings everything looks to be working now.

Thanks!

Dennis

Old April 17th 16, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi, just bought oudie 2 and would like it to talk with Cambridge 302 (and 303). Anybody have suggestions on how to connect the oudie to the 302 so i can also use the 5V from the 302? Standard cable has its own 12V cable and cant give the 5V.
Many thanks!
Thijs Paré
Old April 17th 16, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You can buy pre-made cable and converter box for this from Cumulus-Soaring.com. Look for their item Oudie-PS5a. $95.00. I happen to have one of these that I no longer need and would consider selling it for a reasonable offer.
https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/godd...m#Oudie-PS5a-1

Robert

Old April 17th 16, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 11:49:58 AM UTC-7, wrote:
You can buy pre-made cable and converter box for this from Cumulus-Soaring.com. Look for their item Oudie-PS5a. $95.00. I happen to have one of these that I no longer need and would consider selling it for a reasonable offer.
https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/godd...m#Oudie-PS5a-1

Robert

On Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 1:38:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi, just bought oudie 2 and would like it to talk with Cambridge 302 (and 303). Anybody have suggestions on how to connect the oudie to the 302 so i can also use the 5V from the 302? Standard cable has its own 12V cable and cant give the 5V.
Many thanks!
Thijs Paré

The cable can also be purchase on the Craggy Aero site $75

http://www.craggyaero.com/oudie.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old April 17th 16, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 12:09:29 PM UTC-7, Richard wrote:
[...]

Sorry just sold out

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old April 17th 16, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks Robert, thats exactly what i am looking for. Has to be shipped to the netherlands though.

Gr Thijs
Old April 18th 16, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

One of the cables that comes with the
Oudie will connect to your 12V bus
(preferably through a fuse), convert to 5V
and connect to the Cambridge.

Check the Naviter manuals and user
forum

Old April 19th 16, 07:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

For those of you who are handy with a soldering iron and are on a shoe string budget like myself, eBay is a great source for electronic circuitry.

You can purchase TTL to RS232 converter boards on eBay.
They use the MAX3232 chip and you can purchase five of them for less than $2.
e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-Mini-RS...-/131700206049

For 12V to 5V high efficiency, switched mode, voltage converters you can use the LM2596. Ten of them costs less than $4.
e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LM2596-DC-DC...-/130729707683

I'm not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Paying up to $100 for a cable which costs less than $10 to manufacture is crazy.
Old April 19th 16, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 11:22:57 PM UTC-7, Surge wrote:
For those of you who are handy with a soldering iron and are on a shoe string budget like myself, eBay is a great source for electronic circuitry.

You can purchase TTL to RS232 converter boards on eBay.
They use the MAX3232 chip and you can purchase five of them for less than $2.
e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-Mini-RS...-/131700206049

For 12V to 5V high efficiency, switched mode, voltage converters you can use the LM2596. Ten of them costs less than $4.
e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LM2596-DC-DC...-/130729707683

I'm not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Paying up to $100 for a cable which costs less than $10 to manufacture is crazy.

Surge,

Thanks for the links. Do you have any hands on experience with the electrical noise level of the voltage converters? I've tried cheap boards in the past and they broke the squelch on the radio.

Craig
Old May 4th 16, 08:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
xcnick

This is more of a software question. Can I tell Seeyou to make it's own IGC file even though it is connected to the 302?

The 302 has the date problem and the Oudie's GPS is intermittent. So I need it connected for a GPS source, but it doesn't make it's own file when connected. It will download the 302's file but it says 1996.

Oudie 5.19 Bug Lauren Soaring 3 June 4th 14 06:57 PM
WTB: 57mm Cambridge Vario/FS: 80mm Cambridge Vario ufmechanic Soaring 0 March 24th 09 05:31 PM
Cambridge 302 & PDA -- Value of adding Cambridge 303? V1 Soaring 5 July 31st 07 03:51 AM
Cambridge 302/Cambridge 3UTIQ255 utility/ WinPilot/iPAQ 4155 Nathan Whelchel Soaring 4 July 5th 04 11:22 PM