New Student Advice

Old March 29th 16, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Reuben Bakker

Default New Student Advice

Thank you everyone for your advice and encouragement! Bob, I found this group by simply searching for a sailplane forum (which there don't seem to be too many out there, surprisingly...)

Bermuda High has several 2-33's and that's probably what I'll be learning in, until I solo and can fly some of the single seaters. They do have a duo discus as well which I'd love to learn to fly, but I don't mind flying the bigger slower trainers to start.

I would definitely love to have my own sailplane someday. I've heard a lot about the 1-26, and I believe Bermuda High has at least one of those as well. That's one thing that has really drawn me to gliding - it's a lot more accessible (financially) than just about any other type of aviation - and it will build nicely for my power ratings, etc in the future.

I went ahead and downloaded condor - already had a logitech 3d joystick. I've put in several hours on it already - what a great sim. Being able to spend a good deal of time practicing being on tow, flying the pattern, and even finding thermals has been a lot of fun, and I'm sure will help when it comes time for the real thing.

I have also learned about the fluidity of scheduling already - the first day I went to check out the field they had cancelled everything because of a very bad weather forecast - it turned out to be beautiful. The next weekend the forecast looked good and I was supposed to have my first lesson, but I woke up to dense fog that really never lifted. Still had a good day at the field though - helped install a tow hook on a Cessna 185 they recently acquired. Bermuda High is actually hosting the 18m nationals this year (in May), so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what that is all about!

Thanks again and I'm sure I'll be a frequent visitor with more questions!
Old March 29th 16, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 10:01:37 AM UTC-4, Reuben Bakker wrote:
[...]

Fly as regularly as possible.
Bermuda High is a great place to learn- they have been at it a long time.
People that show up on the flyable but not great soaring days have the place and instructors to themselves.
People that pitch in commonly go the the front of the line.
Have fun
UH
Old April 1st 16, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 10:28:21 AM UTC-4, Reuben Bakker wrote:
I'm beginning my soaring journey...

Reuben, none of the respondents have warned you about a big
problem you'll face: Airsickness.

Fortunately, there's an easy remedy available.

To one glass of orange juice, add:
- 3 ground jalapeno peppers, hotter the better
- 2 ground garlic cloves
Some RAS posters also add a dash of horse-radish,
but that's not strictly necessary.

Drink one of these about 15 minutes before flight,
and you'll be all set!

Enjoy your journey,
Best Regards, Dave

Old April 1st 16, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Friday, April 1, 2016 at 11:09:57 AM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Sounds like an April fool's joke
On Friday, April 1, 2016 at 6:37:48 AM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 10:28:21 AM UTC-4, Reuben Bakker wrote:
I'm beginning my soaring journey...

Reuben, none of the respondents have warned you about a big
problem you'll face: Airsickness.

Fortunately, there's an easy remedy available.

To one glass of orange juice, add:
- 3 ground jalapeno peppers, hotter the better
- 2 ground garlic cloves
Some RAS posters also add a dash of horse-radish,
but that's not strictly necessary.

Drink one of these about 15 minutes before flight,
and you'll be all set!

Enjoy your journey,
Best Regards, Dave

Or...... it may make you sick BEFORE the flight, thus not much of an issue DURING the flight.

As someone that has had to deal with airsickness my whole flying life (I have to "re-acclimate" every spring), I can sympathize.
Old April 2nd 16, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 7:28:21 AM UTC-7, Reuben Bakker wrote:
I'm beginning my soaring journey. Have visited the gliderport twice (Bermuda High Soaring in Jefferson, South Carolina). Supposed to go up this Saturday for the first time if the weather cooperates.

I did ground school and a few hours in a 172 about 6 years ago, and I've been up in a glider once about 15 years ago. I'm 35 now. Aviation has always been a passion of mine but life has kept me busy and I haven't been able to fulfill my dreams... Hoping to change that now. Goal is to get my glider license and become the best pilot I can be, continuing on to powered planes and hopefully a commercial rating (and beyond). The more I learn about gliders though the more I can see sticking with it long term, as well as the many benefits of learning to fly via this route.

Just wanted to say hi, and if you have any advice or things you wish you had known when you were starting out, let me know!

Besides getting Condor, buy a copy of Tom Knauff's book "Glider Flight Training Manual" and study it cover to cover. Also, join the SSA (www.ssa.org). Finally, hang out at the airport and get to know the local pilots; I am sure they would be happy to give you pointers. You might even be able to snag a flight in someone's two place.

Good luck and great flying!

Tom
Old April 5th 16, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZZ

Excellent advice, Vaughn.
Paul
ZZ
Old April 6th 16, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RickL

Let me strongly second using Condor to accelerate your training. If you do go this route it is worth getting rudder pedals though - much better for training the feet. Scott Manley has an excellent course outline and lessons on www.glidercfi.com. After taking a flight lesson you can go home and try to reproduce the flight on Condor.

On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 11:06:48 AM UTC-4, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 5:28:21 PM UTC+3, Reuben Bakker wrote:
Just wanted to say hi, and if you have any advice or things you wish you had known when you were starting out, let me know!

If they'll let you, do your training in the Duo Discus, not the 2-33. In reality, it's not any harder to fly, and it's far more representative of other gliders you'll fly later. If you learn in the 2-33 then you'll have a big conversion process later.

Even if it costs more per hour, your training flights will be a lot longer on average, so you'll spend less on the tow plane.

For about the last ten years my club has done all training in DG1000, which is the direct competitor to the Duo Discus. The DG has a sprung undercarriage which makes it more tolerant of bad student landings, but there's very little difference other than that. (we also use the DG in 18m wingspan configuration vs the fixed 20m for the Duo, but that's not a huge deal) Before the DG, we used late 70's Grob Twin Astirs, which are also a big heavy fiberglass glider.

Get a copy of Condor Soaring simulator and use it with a gaming joystick such as Thrustmaster Top Gun Fox 2 Pro or Logitech Extreme 3D. Set the twist to be rudder, the throttle lever on the base as airbrakes, and a pair of buttons on the top of the stick under your thumb as elevator trim up/down. I also like to make left and right on the hat be "glance" left and right.

This sim can vastly decrease the amount of expensive air time needed to understand from basic concepts of the aerotow, flght and landing right up to cross country flying. Spend some early time with an experienced glider pilot to guide you into good habits.

Unfortunately this program is Windows only, but it runs fine in virtual machines such as the free VMWare Player (I use this), and I believe also in CodeWeavers CrossOver.

Old April 7th 16, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Reuben Bakker

Thanks for all the advice so far! (I think I'll pass on that drink though, blech!)

I've been having a great time with condor and I'm reading my books. Unfortunately the last two attempts at scheduling a first lesson have been foiled by bad weather. I'm on the schedule for Saturday so hopefully the weather will finally cooperate!
Old May 3rd 16, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Reuben Bakker

On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 9:23:47 PM UTC-4, Reuben Bakker wrote:
Thanks for all the advice so far! (I think I'll pass on that drink though, blech!)

I've been having a great time with condor and I'm reading my books. Unfortunately the last two attempts at scheduling a first lesson have been foiled by bad weather. I'm on the schedule for Saturday so hopefully the weather will finally cooperate!

2 full days of lessons under my belt and loving every minute of it. Can't wait to solo! Still have a ways to go though...

New Student Tim[_6_] Piloting 0 October 30th 07 07:09 PM
CFI in IMC with Student Roy Page Owning 36 December 14th 05 07:43 PM
Student Pilot needs advice on buying 172 Cessna mcannon Owning 2 September 5th 05 03:43 PM
Student Seeking XC Advice Jay Beckman Piloting 5 August 13th 04 03:52 AM
Student as PIC in IMC? Geo. Anderson Instrument Flight Rules 40 May 29th 04 05:09 PM