A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

XC Skies out of business?

Old May 2nd 16, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike
external usenet poster

Default XC Skies out of business?

I have received several reports from soaring pilots that XC Skies is not renewing subscriptions, even after payments have been made. Attempts to contact the company by e-mail have been fruitless.

The web site appears to be up and functioning, but has not been updated since 2010. Is Xc SKies finally dead or in the final stages of a death spiral?

Mike
Old May 2nd 16, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

In February I successfully signed up for the service and paid my fee. I love it.

On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 6:48:23 AM UTC-7, Mike the Strike wrote:
I have received several reports from soaring pilots that XC Skies is not renewing subscriptions, even after payments have been made. Attempts to contact the company by e-mail have been fruitless.

The web site appears to be up and functioning, but has not been updated since 2010. Is Xc SKies finally dead or in the final stages of a death spiral?

Mike

Old May 2nd 16, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I renewed my Subscription in April without any problems.
Works fine for me as it has since 2009. Every once in a while there is the odd hiccup that always seems to get worked out.

Old May 2nd 16, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 11:17:25 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I renewed my Subscription in April without any problems.
Works fine for me as it has since 2009. Every once in a while there is the odd hiccup that always seems to get worked out.

I renewed XC Skies in late April with no problems. I waited, to assess TopMeteo/SeeYou on the SSA Convention free trial, but we haven't had great soaring in Canada (still a bit of snow on the ground, put together the club's single-seaters on the past weekend), and I find it hard to spend $100USD/$130CAD on a product I haven't had a chance to try and fly; 30 April is a bit early for the Great White North. Perhaps next year..

XC Skies is working well (NAM in the NE).

Dan
2D
Old May 2nd 16, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 6:48:23 AM UTC-7, Mike the Strike wrote:

Mike

It's one of the last topics posted on the useless XCSkies Forum. Nobody posts there any more.
Perhaps subscriptions are the only thing that are updated.
As a rule its a great product* but with no improvement shown in ages.
Jim

*Except for the New South Wales forecasts. Has the same stripe of rubbish since the GFS changed a couple of years ago.
Old May 2nd 16, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 11:56:01 AM UTC-4, Dan Daly wrote:

XC Skies is working well (NAM in the NE).

Too funny! I've been complaining to the 2 or 3 people who will actually listen to me that NAM is completely fubar this year. Surface temps 15 deg low, clouds a complete crap shoot (forecast bases if any always low, but not nearly as low as -15 deg error would suggest), top of lift always low (but not nearly as low as -15 deg error would suggest), winds and surface sun more or less okay.

best,
Evan Ludeman
Old May 3rd 16, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I paid for renewal 4/13 and the subscription lapsed 4/26. Still no word from the accounts or info email address about why they haven't updated my subscription. It appears the web site has no keeper and a live person to fix issues. I've paid since 2009. I'm in the process of getting the charged reversed by visa as no response from Xc skies is not acceptable.
Joe Kutschka
Old May 6th 16, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Well after numerous attempts to contact xc skies through email at the accounts and info adresses with no response, I emailed Chris Galli at the university of Utah yesterday. It appears he is the owner of the xc skies business. I received no response from him yet however my xc skies account was finally reinstated this morning. That makes 24 days to update an account. Very poor business practices! If you have issues also you can email him at since the web site contact addresses are not responsive.
Joe kutschka
Old May 7th 16, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6X
external usenet poster

Joe:

Can you please confirm Chris full email address.

Thank you.
Old May 7th 16, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gen Shib
external usenet poster

Do they still use Google Maps as background? They have been violating Google Maps's TOS for long time. Maybe Google finally decided to shut it down.