cold weather flying

Old May 2nd 16, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

Default cold weather flying

Hi all,

My thread is either 8 months too late, or three months too early depending on how you look at it.

I'm looking for opinions on gear for cold weather flying, and high altitude flying, particularly as it relates to footwear. I'm trying to find a pair of boots which are warm and insulated, but also relatively low profile because i'm looking for rudder clearance. does anyone know of a good brand or specific boot?

thanks dudes.

-Andy

Old May 2nd 16, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Finally a subject I have knowledge of

I found that the best is the inside boot liner of my ski boots. I never get very cold skiing and thought "let me try them" they worked excellent.

I had though of trying heaters ... but what happens if they get too hot or..... I can not reach my feet at all in my Pegase. I flew Mt Washington and got really high - 50+ below zero - was never totally frozen. I use them now for all winter flying.

WH1

Old May 3rd 16, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/t...e-evo-wp-boots

For the last 4 years or so, I've been flying with this style of motorcycle boot(see link above)

Surprisingly warm...and fairly small "footprint" to fit the small area available in glass gliders....thin enough sole to "feel"...comfortable...

you can always add heat packs, or electric insoles?

Cookie

Old May 3rd 16, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dan as for a parachute landing the footware is probably the least of your concerns a good ways behind getting out eithout being struck and getting that chute opened. LOL
Old May 3rd 16, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 7:31:44 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
How will ski boot liners perform in a parachute landing?

Not as good as steel tipped construction boots would be, but at least as good as the sneakers I wear in warmer weather and way better than pilots that fly bare foot or in sandals

I just found them the best solution I have tried so far - so I was just sharing................ ya know

WH1

Old May 3rd 16, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 8:53:17 AM UTC-4, ND wrote:
[...]

Not only the boots are important; change to dry socks just before take-off, and it is a good idea to spray your feet with antiperspirant. Evaporating moisture really cools the feet.
Also, on Arctic Survival, one theme was always, "If your feet get cold, wear a bigger hat" - since you're losing the heat up top. You don't win awards for style, but a wool watch cap lined with Thinsulate really keeps your feet warm.
For boots in the Lake Placid Wave, I use BEARPAW Men's Dream 8" Shearling Boot,Hickory. I've used them 3 years, and they're holding up well (I only wear them to fly). You have to order one size larger than you normally wear. I only put them on just before T/O, change socks, etc. They fit well under the rudder pedal loops on the SZD-55 (nice in rotor).
Dan
2D
Old May 3rd 16, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

What about this..

if you have a heated option, try a pair of booties OVER your shoes. I have two different overshoes for cycling. One is just rain protection, the other is insulated.

When it's really cold out. I'll wear my regular shoes, then stick a toe warmer on the OUTSIDE of the toe of the shoe, then cover with the insulated bootie. Works for the bike. I'm gonna try it in the glider.

May help to get warmth, without bulk. With size 13s... I need all the room in the nosecone I can get!

JP