Best new feature at OSH

Old August 9th 05, 01:20 AM
Jim Smith

Default Best new feature at OSH

My nomination for best improvement at Airventure this year? The Orion
trucks driving around the North 40 selling ice! God bless 'em!
Old August 9th 05, 04:50 AM
Jay Honeck

My nomination for best improvement at Airventure this year? The Orion
trucks driving around the North 40 selling ice! God bless 'em!

That *was* a wonderful idea! We took advantage of that service a couple of
times.

Still, I think the new Goodwill store selling used bikes for $10 bucks
apiece (and then taking them back at the end of the week, in exchange for a
$10 tax write-off receipt) has to take the "Best New Feature" award this
year.

Those bikes saved my feet, cost practically nothing, and absolutely
revolutionized the OSH experience for us.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 9th 05, 10:56 PM
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:

My nomination for best improvement at Airventure this year? The Orion
trucks driving around the North 40 selling ice! God bless 'em!

That *was* a wonderful idea! We took advantage of that service a couple of
times.

Still, I think the new Goodwill store selling used bikes for $10 bucks
apiece (and then taking them back at the end of the week, in exchange for a
$10 tax write-off receipt) has to take the "Best New Feature" award this
year.

Those bikes saved my feet, cost practically nothing, and absolutely
revolutionized the OSH experience for us.

So free has now become practically nothing? :-) Sorry, Jay, just
couldn't resist!

Matt
Old August 10th 05, 02:42 AM
Darrel Toepfer

Anybody able to report on the sale of the Lake amphib line auction?

This was also a "new feature at OSH"...
Old August 10th 05, 03:59 AM
Travis Marlatte

The auction ended with no bids and no sale. The auctioneer started in the
multi-digit millions and worked his way down to 3 million before calling it
quits.

I haven't heard what has happened since. It seemed to me that the control of
the sale remained in the hands of the auction house even after the official
auction. They certainly continued to work the few capable bidders after they
ended the auction. The auctioneer made a prediction that he would have the
company sold within a few days "gaaraauuntteeeeed."

There was a couple of weird things during that auction.

1) For those of you who didn't see the announcements, you had to put up a
$100,000USD deposit to be eligible to bid. So, the interested parties were
certainly known to the auctioneers and yet they used spotters to work the
crowd as if anyone could chime in.

2) They started the auction and then took a long break. The reason was
because someone needed to make a few phone calls. I'm sorry, what?! No bids
had been placed so it wasn't like someone had to figure out if they could
afford to go up another million. Perhaps someone realized that the bidding
was going to start lower than they ever dreamed and suddenly realized that
they could own it after all. However, if you hadn't done your homework and
weren't prepared with the deposit, it seems a little late.

3) They had a one-man band playing during all the lulls. Pretty annoying.
They introduced him as coming from Las Vegas. I suspect that they took away
his musicians license there - OK that might have been a cheap shot but I
thought it was a waste of electricity. On the other hand, he was able to
provide a mic when the built-in one didn't work.

All in all, a pretty entertaining hour - but then I'm a Lake owner.
---------------------------------
Travis

Old August 10th 05, 05:06 AM
Darrel Toepfer

Travis Marlatte wrote:

Anybody able to report on the sale of the Lake amphib line auction?

All in all, a pretty entertaining hour - but then I'm a Lake owner.

I just have Lake envy, I'm usually a day late on the good deals. Thanks
for the report...

Was the "one-man band" perhaps Zzzzoom?
Old August 10th 05, 04:22 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Travis Marlatte" wrote in message
nk.net...

2) They started the auction and then took a long break. The reason was
because someone needed to make a few phone calls. I'm sorry, what?! No
bids had been placed so it wasn't like someone had to figure out if they
could afford to go up another million. Perhaps someone realized that the
bidding was going to start lower than they ever dreamed and suddenly
realized that they could own it after all. However, if you hadn't done
your homework and weren't prepared with the deposit, it seems a little
late.

I wasn't there and I don't remember where I heard it but during that break
the auction houses people were talking to the folks that had placed the
deposits trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

It seems the bidding started high because that is where the auction house
had told those that placed deposits said it was going to start. The auction
house then freaked when it dropped to 3mil and no one bid.