Cessnas 172 variants (K, L, M, N, P...)

Old July 24th 03, 09:07 PM
Paul Young

Default Cessnas 172 variants (K, L, M, N, P...)

Hello all...

I keep seeing the different letter variants for C-172 airplanes (e.g.,
Cessna 172L, Cessna 172N) but I have no idea how different is which
variant from each other... Is there any website or other resource where
I can find specs for each of the Cessna 172 variants...? Any info
greatly appreciated...!

Paul

*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com ***
Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.
Old July 24th 03, 09:38 PM
Ross Richardson

If you find one let me know. I have a C-172F. I even contacted Cessna
engineering with a request on a comparison of the F model with another
model. All they would say is that data is for FAA use only. They could
not release it to me. You can get information from Clarke's book on
Cessnas.

Old July 24th 03, 09:40 PM

On 24-Jul-2003, Paul Young wrote:

I keep seeing the different letter variants for C-172 airplanes (e.g.,
Cessna 172L, Cessna 172N) but I have no idea how different is which
variant from each other... Is there any website or other resource where
I can find specs for each of the Cessna 172 variants...? Any info
greatly appreciated...!

The letter suffixes relate to certification changes associated with
significant airframe and/or engine changes or refinements. For example,
when Cessna performed an aerodynamic cleanup resulting in improved cruise
performance with the 1974 model year, the model designation for
certification purposes went from 172L to 172M. I'm sure that there is a
good reference which identifies, for each suffix, the model years and the
airframe/engine changes involved.

-Elliott Drucker
Old July 24th 03, 10:02 PM
Ron Natalie

"Ross Richardson" wrote in message ...
If you find one let me know. I have a C-172F. I even contacted Cessna
engineering with a request on a comparison of the F model with another
model. All they would say is that data is for FAA use only. They could
not release it to me. You can get information from Clarke's book on
Cessnas.

MODEL YEAR CHANGES
172 1956 37 gallons usable fuel, Cont. O-300-A,B 145 HP, 2200 lbs gross
172A 1959 Swept tail, O-300-C,D
172B 1960 First Skyhawk, Slightly wider CG limits, 2 39 gallons
172C 1961 2250 gross, 36 gal
172D 1962 Ominvision rear window, 2300 gross
172E 1963
172F 1964
172G 1965 (different spinner), 38 gal
172H 1966
172I 1967 Lycoming O-320-E2D 150 HP
172K 1968
172L 1970
172M 1972
172N 1976 O-320-H2AD 160 HP, 40 gal
172P 1980 O-320-D2J, 2400 lbs gross, 30 degree max flap
172Q 1982 Cutlass, O-360-A4N, 180 HP, 2550 gross, 50 gal

172R 1996 IO-360-L2A, 160 HP, 2450 gross, 53 gal
172S 1998 Skyhawk SP, IO-360-L2A, 180 HP, 2550 gross

Old July 24th 03, 10:28 PM
David Megginson

"Ron Natalie" writes:

172I 1967 Lycoming O-320-E2D 150 HP

This is a biggie -- the Continental engine, while much loved by its
owners, has six cylinders (= higher overhaul costs), a shorter TBO (I
think), and a strong tendency to carb icing.

172M 1972
172N 1976 O-320-H2AD 160 HP, 40 gal

Between the M and the N, if I recall correctly, the ASI changes from
mph to knots.

172P 1980 O-320-D2J, 2400 lbs gross, 30 degree max flap

I did most of my training in this one -- it's a great plane.

172R 1996 IO-360-L2A, 160 HP, 2450 gross, 53 gal

The handling changes significantly with this one -- the wing seems to
have a different shape, giving a more heavy, solid (or, if you prefer,
less responsive) feel to the controls, more like a Cherokee. The fuel
injection has a big effect on startup and operating procedures, and
the lower maximum RPM (2400) and higher soundproofing make it a very
quiet, smooth plane. It also tends to have much newer avionics, of
course.

The downside is that while the 172P is a three-person plane with four
seats, all the extra weight makes the 172R a two-person plane with
four seats -- our flying club had to upgrade its 172R to 180HP to be
able to carry three adults in the plane.

And, of course, there are all the fuel drains.

172S 1998 Skyhawk SP, IO-360-L2A, 180 HP, 2550 gross

I've never flown this one, but it should do better for lifting.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, , http://www.megginson.com/
Old July 24th 03, 10:51 PM
JDupre5762

I have a C-172F. I even contacted Cessna
engineering with a request on a comparison of the F model with another
model. All they would say is that data is for FAA use only. They could
not release it to me.

Airlife's General Aviation says the 172F is an E model with minor changes and
the G is an F with minor changes. I suppose I you could find the changes with
a few hours spent in the parts books I would think minor changes means a
differen shape to some of the knobs or plastic. This was back in the day when
Wichita marketed a lot like Detroit. You had to have a "new" model every year.

John Dupre'
Old July 26th 03, 12:40 AM
John Galban

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message om...

MODEL YEAR CHANGES
172 1956 37 gallons usable fuel, Cont. O-300-A,B 145 HP, 2200 lbs gross
172A 1959 Swept tail, O-300-C,D

snip

Great list Ron! For those keeping score, be advised that the
"Year" column on Ron's list is the actual year that the modification
was made. The Model Year of the change is one higher. For example,
the swept tail was introduced on the '60 172A, the 150 hp Lycoming
appeared on the '68 172I and the 160 hp H2AD engine showed up on the
'77 172N.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)