Foreign Aircraft N-Numbers

Old December 18th 03, 03:31 AM
Randy L.

Default Foreign Aircraft N-Numbers

I am a relatively new VFR pilot, and when I'm not flying a Cessna 172, I
like to practice flying using Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004. I recently
downloaded & installed on FS2004 a very nice French single engine
all-composite general aviation aircraft called an APM20 Lionceau (Lion cub).
This is just a great VFR aircraft, and I really love flying this virtual
aircraft on my PC. I would like to repaint it and give it a new call sign
and US-format N number. It already has a European ID number on the rear
fuselage and the top & bottom of the starboard wing. The ID number for this
aircraft is F-GRRF but I would like to put a US-format N-number on it like
N3456RL.
I would like this virtual airplane to be as close to real life as
possible, so here is my question: If someone from the US buys a foreign
general aviation aircraft that already has a foreign-format identification
already painted on it, then brings it to the US, does that person have to
have it licensed by the US FAA, and have a US-format N-number painted on the
fuselage? Does the foreign identification number have to be removed? Can
both numbers be displayed? I hope someone knows what the proper procedure is
& can fill me in. Thanks in advamce.

Randy L.

--

Those who expect life to be "fair" are doomed to a life of disappointment.

Old December 18th 03, 07:54 AM
Patrick Mayer

Hi,

if you register your aircraft in the U.S., it can be stationed outside - in
France, for example. As there's just one registration allowed (and the
aircraft has to be clearly identifiable), you have to remove both the
registration and the flag and replace it with stars and stripes and the
correct N-number.

Patrick

Old December 18th 03, 08:21 AM
Larry Fransson

On 2003-12-17 23:54:03 -0800, "Patrick Mayer" said:

you have to remove both the
registration and the flag and replace it with stars and stripes and the
correct N-number.

The flag is not required.

Old December 18th 03, 05:47 PM
Eclipsme

here is my question: If someone from the US buys a foreign
general aviation aircraft that already has a foreign-format identification
already painted on it, then brings it to the US, does that person have to
have it licensed by the US FAA, and have a US-format N-number painted on

the
fuselage?

No. The aircraft can be registered anywhere, as long as you maintain it
according to the country of registration's laws. There may be time limits on
the importation of foreign registered aircraft in the US. I don't know.

Does the foreign identification number have to be removed?

Only if you register it in the US.

Can
both numbers be displayed?

No. The plane must only display the registration numbers of the country it
is registered in, and it may only be registered in one country.

JMO
Harvey

Old December 19th 03, 03:03 AM
Randy L.

"Eclipsme" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thanks to all of you for the info, I really appreciate the help. Have a very
merry Christmas!

Randy L.

Old December 30th 03, 03:08 PM
vincent p. norris

How did the United States ever draw "N" as a registration
number prefix, anyway?

It was reported here, a couple of years ago, that the
U.S.representatives to the international conference that assigned
those letters were Naval officers, so they thought "N" would be
appropriate.

vince norris
Old December 30th 03, 11:34 PM
Geoff Miller

How did the United States ever draw "N" as a registration
number prefix, anyway? You'd think it would be "U" for
"United States," or "A" for "America."

Related question: How did Northwest Airlines get "US" as a
registration number suffix? It seems more likely that if
any carrier would've gotten the letters that stood for the
name of the country, it would've been Pan Am (had they not
gone for "PA," of course).

Geoff

--
"While everyone was delighted that P.J. had finally spoken
his first words, 'Give me back my zweiback, cock-gobbler'
Old December 31st 03, 02:30 AM
Ron Natalie

"Geoff Miller" wrote in message ...

How did the United States ever draw "N" as a registration
number prefix, anyway? You'd think it would be "U" for
"United States," or "A" for "America."

In Radio callsigns the US got half the A's, the K's, the W's and the N's.
The A and N are for Army and Navy. I have no idea how we settled
on K and W.

Related question: How did Northwest Airlines get "US" as a
registration number suffix?

The suffixes aren't assigned to a particular airline. The airline requests
them when the register the aircraft. Most likely NWA acquired those
particular planes from US Air. You see lots of Continental livery with
xxxPE numbers from the old People Express day.

Old December 31st 03, 02:43 AM
Robert Moore

"Ron Natalie" wrote
Most likely NWA acquired those particular planes from US Air.

Nope! Northwest was using the US suffix on its first B-720s
back in 1961, long before US Air came into exsistance. Of
course US Air never owned B-720s either.

Bob Moore
Old January 24th 04, 12:51 AM
Geoff Miller

Earlier I asked:

: Related question: How did Northwest Airlines get "US" as a
: registration number suffix?

Ron Natalie replies:

The suffixes aren't assigned to a particular airline.
The airline requests them when the register the aircraft.
Most likely NWA acquired those particular planes from US
Air. You see lots of Continental livery with xxxPE
numbers from the old People Express day.

I could've phrased that better: Why did Northwest *request*
the "US" suffix? "PA," "U," "AA," etc., are easy to
understand. But you'd think that Northwest would've gone
with "NW." Maybe they were hoping to edge Pan Am aside
as the pre-eminent U.S. flag carrier eventually.

I first noticed the "US" suffix on Northwest airplanes
(707s, 720s, 727s) in 1971, maybe six months before the
D.B. Cooper hijacking, and since then I've seen lots of
old pictures from the Fifties and early Sixties of DC6s/
7s, Stratocruisers, and Electras in Northwest livery with
registrations ending in "US." It predates USAir by a long
time.

Geoff

--
"I'm going to fly 'till I die!" -- Jessica Dubroff