Boyington's natural metal corsair?

Old March 30th 04, 03:18 PM
Jim McCartan

I know damned well that the USN and USMC took Gavabutu and Levu-Vana
islands during WWII

Wasn't that the same campaign whose outcome was decided by the surface
action off Cape Titan?

--
Mike Kanze
(Whose arm muscles stay large from occasional femur-tugging.)

Thanks, in part, to Commander Eddington's heroic one-way scout mission.

AND Admiral Torre's brilliance.
Old April 1st 04, 05:58 PM
MDinzey

I must have missed that one. It must have taken place about the same
time we hit the Supply Depots at Daquiri. We came in low, under their
Radar...

Poor Goerge Zipp...
The guy thinks he's Ethel Merman.
Old April 2nd 04, 07:33 AM
fudog50

great question posed by hoodoo, and real interesting history stuff.

all the responses went off on tangents and never really addresed the
original question. Which means nobody that read it knows.

It is interesting enough to me to do some research, (not just a google
search). Anyone point me in the right direction? What was the name of
boyington's book you are referring to? and what particular history
channel did you hear this from?

thanks in advance for any info...

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 05:19:04 -0500, "John Keeney"
wrote:

"Krztalizer" wrote in message
Agree, OJ - it might have been an
off-hand comment, inconsequential in terms of the thrust of the
entire show.] Neither, probably, did the producers, or the
History Channel. All they could do was present the interview as
a FWIW and let the viewer make their own call.

I've seen RAF veterans recall how they witnessed "rocket flak" roaring

around
the skies over Berlin in 1944, similar statements about encounters with Me

163s
_at night_. When these guys were young and going through terrifying

ordeals,
they saw something that left an indelible imprint, however, it was not

what
they thought. But after 6 decades of their minds trying to sort out what

it
was, its sometimes impossible (and unkind) to successfully convince the

witness
that their memory has failed them.

When I looked at the photos my niece's husband brought back from
Iraq, he had the pictures labeled. One showed three C-17s at some
airport he was making a supply run to labeled as C-5s. As it was a
recent thing, with photos, it was quite easy to correct the identification.
Trying to do the same thing forty years from now working from memory...

Old April 2nd 04, 08:05 AM
Krztalizer

great question posed by hoodoo, and real interesting history stuff.

all the responses went off on tangents and never really addresed the
original question.

I noticed that yours didn't either. Ok, I'll try to address it - in going
through approximately forty cartons of personal copies of all the company
papers of a vice president of Chance Vought through the war years, I did not
find any mention of an unpainted machine being sent to a field unit. Further,
stripping the paint off a bird in the salty, dusty or muddy conditions of the
Solomons would not make much sense. Proving something like this didn't happen
is difficult, but nothing in all those files about Corsair production mentioned
an all-metal ship going out to a wartime unit. That narrows it down to a
"squadron job", but I haven't heard any "Black Sheep" veteran bring up at a
reunion or museum symposium. Anythings possible, but without a photo its just
a guess.

If you find out anything about the aircraft in question, either a date, Buno.,
or other details, there are people on this newsgroup that would know amplifying
info. I'd love to see it.

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR

Its always better to lose AN engine, than THE engine.

Old April 2nd 04, 09:38 PM
fudog50

Hey Gordon,

You noticed I didn't address the question? I think I addressed it
rather well, thank you. I didn't provide an answer, because
admittingly I don't know the answer.

Quite different than your statement, " I noticed that yours didn't
either ". At least I stayed on topic.

Thanks for providing the info, very interesting. I'm going to P'Cola
next month and will do some digging at the museum. I was a volunteer
tour guide there in 98-00, I'll look through the archives there in the
library, and talk to some of the old-timers.

They have a display upstairs of a pacific island marine air facility.
Very cool, complete with a corsair, jeep, and a coupla huts, (ops,
little bar, sleeping quarters, etc.)

"keep em flyin!"

Old April 3rd 04, 05:05 AM
Elmshoot

Foodog,
A good family friend still drives the bus out to the flight line he has been
SIQ for a while but his name is Paul Siverly great guy and Naval Aviator. Any
way I'm a retired naval aviator with 949 traps and a lifetime model builder and
flier. I'm doing a PBM and I'm looking for some interesting color schemes for
my PBM. I do not want the dark blue so the best I can do is the Pannama cannel
color scheme as white and grey on top. I know the -1 version had avery
actractive yellow wing one but I am looking at the -3 to -5 version any help
would be appriciated and i will buy you a Cubi special at the bar.
Sparky

Old April 9th 04, 04:06 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
fudog50 wrote:

great question posed by hoodoo, and real interesting history stuff.

all the responses went off on tangents and never really addresed the
original question. Which means nobody that read it knows.

It is interesting enough to me to do some research, (not just a google
search). Anyone point me in the right direction? What was the name of
boyington's book you are referring to? and what particular history
channel did you hear this from?

thanks in advance for any info...

His book was "Baa, Baa, Blach Sheep," published about 1959 or 1960. I
read his book then, but do not recall his mentioning having a bare-metal
Corsair. IMHO, Boyington would have mentioned it if he had done so.