SOUNDS OF seaplanes

Old December 19th 03, 07:34 PM

Default SOUNDS OF seaplanes

greetings

i don't know a lot about aviation but sure someone here does

so the question is

why do seaplane motors sound heavier? and more distinctive
than their land based counterparts?

live near water and i can tell by the sound if it has floats or wheels

must be a reason for this

thanks

bill
Old December 29th 03, 12:30 AM
Mike O'Malley

wrote in message
greetings

i don't know a lot about aviation but sure someone here does

so the question is

why do seaplane motors sound heavier? and more distinctive
than their land based counterparts?

live near water and i can tell by the sound if it has floats or wheels

must be a reason for this

Generally, seaplanes will be fitted with larger diameter propellers than
their land counterparts. This translates to higher prop tip speeds, some
approaching supersonic. Higher speed at the tips relates to more noise.

--
Mike O'Malley

Old December 29th 03, 04:42 AM
Vern

"Mike O'Malley" wrote in
:

Generally, seaplanes will be fitted with larger diameter propellers than
their land counterparts. This translates to higher prop tip speeds, some
approaching supersonic. Higher speed at the tips relates to more noise.

--
Mike O'Malley

Is there a trade-off somewhere else in the perfomance envelope that makes
the larger prop less desireable on the land based versions?
Old December 29th 03, 08:24 AM
Scott Skylane

Vern wrote:
"Mike O'Malley" wrote in
:

Generally, seaplanes will be fitted with larger diameter propellers than
their land counterparts. This translates to higher prop tip speeds, some
approaching supersonic. Higher speed at the tips relates to more noise.

--
Mike O'Malley

Is there a trade-off somewhere else in the perfomance envelope that makes
the larger prop less desireable on the land based versions?

Yes, ground clearance (esp. with deflated nose strut and/or tire).

Old December 30th 03, 06:27 AM
Vern

Scott Skylane wrote in
:

Is there a trade-off somewhere else in the perfomance envelope that
makes the larger prop less desireable on the land based versions?

Yes, ground clearance (esp. with deflated nose strut and/or tire).

Hee hee...why is it always the obvious one's that stump me?!
Old December 30th 03, 02:51 PM
QDurham

Yes, ground clearance (esp. with deflated nose strut and/or tire).

Hee hee...why is it always the obvious one's that stump me?!

Perhaps because this isn't necessarily correct. Prop blade impact with water
is every bit as damaging to the prop as asphalt -- if not worse. I bet
seaplanes sound different from landplanes (if indeed they do) because of the
sound reflectivity of water vs asphalt/concrete/whatever.

Quent

Old December 31st 03, 01:35 AM
Mike O'Malley

"Vern" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Is there a trade-off somewhere else in the perfomance envelope that makes
the larger prop less desireable on the land based versions?

This is just an assumption, but my educated guess would be that a larger
diameter propeller will create more static thrust, at the expense of cruise
seed. This is my experience flying a a 150hp Super Cub that went from a
standard 74" climb prop to an 84" seaplane prop (made it easier to hand prop
as well) The sea plane has more drag to overcome because of the floats in
the water versus wheels on the ground. Seaplanes have already sacrificed
speed for utility, what's a little more.

FWIW, some land planes DO have larger seaplane props, mainly aircraft that
need better shortfield performance. Bush planes, and banner tow aircraft
come to mind. Cruise speed is less of an issue, second to short field
performance, or extra thrust. The Super Cub lost about 5 knots off the top
end in cruise, but required 150 rpm less to pull the same banner, and had a
much shorter prop.

Old December 31st 03, 12:42 PM
Vern

"Mike O'Malley" wrote in
:

[...]

Very good points...thanks for enlightening. I've only ever flown the land
based buggers myself.

Old January 25th 04, 11:20 PM
PJ Hunt

Because 'real' seaplane motors are round.

a beaver pilot.