Best Option for Private Pilot to Multi Commercial Instrument Ratings

Old December 11th 04, 06:13 PM
Hudson Valley Amusement

Default Best Option for Private Pilot to Multi Commercial Instrument Ratings

I am currently a ASEL private pilot and would like to get to Multi Commercial
Instument ASAP. I can dedicate full time to this and would like your opinions
on the best way to go about it.

There seem to be 2 schools of thought -
1- get my instrument and commercial in a Single Engine, then get my multi add
ons.
2- Get my multi first, then work on instrument and commercial in the multi.

I can understand the pro's and cons to both. Option 1 allows me to work on one
thing at a time since I am already comfortable in a single engine, however it
might be detrimental b/c I won't have any appreciatable multi time when I am
done. This will lead to problems with insurance rates if I am insurable at
all.
Option 2 on the other hand will be a more expensive option, and will require
learning a few new things at the same time, but will also build 150 or so hrs
in the multi when I have my ratings which will certainly help insurance
companies.

Additional info - I am currently at about 185 hrs. I am not looking to go to
the airlines, but rather I am looking to fly a Cessna 421 for my company.

Any suggestions?
thanks,
Mark
Old December 11th 04, 07:21 PM
John R. Copeland

"Hudson Valley Amusement" wrote in message =
I am currently a ASEL private pilot and would like to get to Multi =

Commercial
Instument ASAP. I can dedicate full time to this and would like your =

opinions
on the best way to go about it.=20
=20
There seem to be 2 schools of thought -
1- get my instrument and commercial in a Single Engine, then get my =

multi add
ons. =20
[...]

company. =20
=20
Any suggestions?
thanks,
Mark

Instrument, Commercial, then Multi-Engine should be easiest.
You'll be challenged enough transitioning to the 421.
You wouldn't welcome the hassles of the other ratings at the same time.

Old December 11th 04, 11:28 PM
Michelle P

Mark,
While you may be qualified in the FAA's eye's. The companies insurance
company will want you to have 500 hrs multi before they let you loose in
a twin for hire.
Michelle

Old December 11th 04, 11:33 PM
Bob Gardner

Solo time is required for the commercial certificate, and there is no way in
the world that an insurance company will cover you in a twin without
hundreds of hours of twin time. Bad idea financially. Get the certificate
and rating in a single, then go for the MEL. Expect to be disappointed when
your company tells their insurer that they want to put you on their policy.
A 421 is a VERY demanding airplane (one of the few I have lost an engine in)
and a hangar queen.

Bob Gardner

Old December 12th 04, 03:37 PM
Frank Ch. Eigler

"Bob Gardner" writes:

Solo time is required for the commercial certificate, and there is
no way in the world that an insurance company will cover you in a
twin without hundreds of hours of twin time. [...]

This is simply not correct. Insurance will be of course more
expensive than for a c172, but on the smaller twins and private use,
is indeed available. Through a Canadian broker, Lloyd's started
covering me with just 70 hours on type (pa23-250). I gather from
other posts that, despite speculation of the cognoscenti, the actual
USA situation is not much worse.

- FChE
Old December 12th 04, 07:44 PM
C Kingsbury

"Frank Ch. Eigler" wrote in message

"Bob Gardner" writes:

Solo time is required for the commercial certificate, and there is
no way in the world that an insurance company will cover you in a
twin without hundreds of hours of twin time. [...]

This is simply not correct. Insurance will be of course more
expensive than for a c172, but on the smaller twins and private use,
is indeed available. Through a Canadian broker, Lloyd's started
covering me with just 70 hours on type (pa23-250). I gather from
other posts that, despite speculation of the cognoscenti, the actual
USA situation is not much worse.

A 421 has more in common with a B-17 than it does with an Aztec. Think of it
as a twin turboprop without any of the systems automation. The major
attraction is that you can buy a lot of performance for pretty short money
up front, particularly a year or so back when the wing spar AD was hanging
over everyone's head. But you'll probably pay it all back out in operating
costs eventually. At least if you buy a Cheyenne or MU-2 you get the comfort
of turbine reliability, all the more so considering how little you want to
lose an engine in a 421.

-cwk.

Old December 12th 04, 08:02 PM
C Kingsbury

"Hudson Valley Amusement" wrote in message
I am currently a ASEL private pilot and would like to get to Multi

Commercial
Instument ASAP. I can dedicate full time to this and would like your

opinions
on the best way to go about it.

One-third of the instrument rating is learning attitude flying- how to fly
S&L, make turns, climbs, and descents accurate by reference to instruments
only. This should be mastered in a slow, simple airplane first. Two-thirds
of it is learning procedures, which are basically independent of the
airplane, but will again be easier to master in a slower airplane until you
get thehang of it, which may take a good 15-20 hours or more. The commercial
ticket doesn't really require you to master any dramatically new skills, so
you might as well train for it in a twin if you can afford it.

Personally, I think the best thing to do in your case would be to head to
Fla. or Ariz. and knock your ratings out in minimum time and money, and then
come back and find yourself a good instructor-pilot to fly with you the
first 100 hours or so and really educate you. The insurance company likely
won't cut you loose anytime soon anyway so you might as well get used to it.

-cwk.

Old December 13th 04, 04:37 AM

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:02:14 GMT, "C Kingsbury"
wrote:

One-third of the instrument rating is learning attitude flying- how to fly
S&L, make turns, climbs, and descents accurate by reference to instruments
only

13-14 hours to learn how to atttitude fly?

Either you got a slow student or a bad instructor, in my opinion.

Old December 13th 04, 04:49 PM
Roy Smith

One-third of the instrument rating is learning attitude flying- how to fly
S&L, make turns, climbs, and descents accurate by reference to instruments
only

13-14 hours to learn how to atttitude fly?

Either you got a slow student or a bad instructor, in my opinion.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "learn how to attitude fly".
It's one thing to keep it straight and level for short periods of time
while concentrating hard. It another thing to hold heading and
altitude to tight tolerances and execute climbs, descents, and turns
for hours on end with almost no thought given to it, so you can devote
you entire attention to procedures. Add in silly maneuvers like steep
turns and more important stuff like partial panel and unusual attitude
recoveries, and it's a lot of work.

Once you got that stuff down cold, flying approaches is easy. My
instrument training had me doing approaches almost from day one. As a
result, I was strugging to keep up with the airplane and spent a lot
of time getting frustrated because I wasn't making any progress.