AirVenture 2004 NOTAM now available

Old May 20th 04, 12:57 PM
Jay Honeck

Hopefully I'll get to sleep in my Ercoupe this year...
;-)

Cool!

Maybe we should fly in as a flight of three (Brian and Christine are coming
in their Warrior, I think), so that we can camp close to each other?

How fast can the Ercoupe go?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 20th 04, 02:37 PM
G. Burkhart

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Maybe we should fly in as a flight of three (Brian and Christine are

coming
in their Warrior, I think), so that we can camp close to each other?

How fast can the Ercoupe go?
--

Not very fast -- maybe I should leave now... ;-)

Lately it has been cruising about 95-100mph so you'll have to give me a head
start. I'll have to see if I'm up to flying into OSH...

-Greg

Old May 20th 04, 02:52 PM
Jay Honeck

How fast can the Ercoupe go?
Lately it has been cruising about 95-100mph so you'll have to give me a

head
start. I'll have to see if I'm up to flying into OSH...

Well, you'll have no troubles hitting that 80 knot target speed... :-)

Being "up to" flying into OSH. If you can maintain 80 knots (and it
sounds like the Ercoupe basically cruises a bit faster than that), all you
really have to do is:

1) Follow the NOTAM'd procedure, which is rock simple ("Follow the railroad
tracks to the water tower...")
2) Maintain spacing on the guy ahead of you

The arrival procedure is designed to be flown by relatively inexperienced
G.A. pilots. Thousands of pilots have flown into OSH without incident.
You can, too.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 20th 04, 04:25 PM
EDR

In article Ew2rc.28544$gr.2589550@attbi_s52, G. Burkhart
wrote:

How fast can the Ercoupe go?

Not very fast -- maybe I should leave now... ;-)

Which engine?
Old May 20th 04, 07:20 PM
Jack Allison

Hopefully I'll get to sleep in my Ercoupe this year...

Hey, we slept a few hours in the 172 last year...was the only thing really
water proof during the late night downpour one evening. I don't know
Greg...Miata or Ercoupe...tough choice on which I'd rather sleep in. No
brainer on which one I'd rather take to OSH.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

Old May 22nd 04, 10:28 PM
Paul Sengupta

"G. Burkhart" wrote in message
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Maybe we should fly in as a flight of three (Brian and Christine are

coming
in their Warrior, I think), so that we can camp close to each other?

How fast can the Ercoupe go?
--

Not very fast -- maybe I should leave now... ;-)

Lately it has been cruising about 95-100mph so you'll have to give me a

head
start. I'll have to see if I'm up to flying into OSH...

Just about the correct side of the power curve for you to fly
in formation Jay?

Paul

Old May 23rd 04, 01:48 PM
Jay Honeck

Just about the correct side of the power curve for you to fly
in formation Jay?

I don't know. I have a hard time flying as a flight of two with our old
Warrior (you met the new owner, Brian). I have to be flying at 20 inches
and 2000 RPM, and he has to be balls to the wall.

To fly formation with the Ercoupe would mean flying about 86 knots. I
suppose it could work out, but I'm not sure how well?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 23rd 04, 03:27 PM
Newps

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

To fly formation with the Ercoupe would mean flying about 86 knots. I
suppose it could work out, but I'm not sure how well?

You're kidding right? I fly loose formations with Cubs all the time. We
indicate about 90 mph. Put some flaps down and you should be able to fly at
pretty much any speed he can.

Old May 23rd 04, 06:15 PM
EDR

In article , Newps
wrote:

To fly formation with the Ercoupe would mean flying about 86 knots. I
suppose it could work out, but I'm not sure how well?

You're kidding right? I fly loose formations with Cubs all the time. We
indicate about 90 mph. Put some flaps down and you should be able to fly at
pretty much any speed he can.

Guys!!!!!
Formation flying is not one of those "do-it-yourself" instruction
things.
Formation flying with the same type (similar) aircraft is one thing,
formation flying with different (dissimilar) aircraft is asking for
trouble.
The pilot of the lead aircraft has to know how to lead, the wingmen
have to know how to stack, hold position and not get sucked into the
aircraft they are guiding on.
Old May 23rd 04, 06:20 PM
Newps

"EDR" wrote in message
In article , Newps
wrote:

To fly formation with the Ercoupe would mean flying about 86 knots.

suppose it could work out, but I'm not sure how well?

You're kidding right? I fly loose formations with Cubs all the time.

We
indicate about 90 mph. Put some flaps down and you should be able to

fly at
pretty much any speed he can.

Guys!!!!!
Formation flying is not one of those "do-it-yourself" instruction
things.
Formation flying with the same type (similar) aircraft is one thing,
formation flying with different (dissimilar) aircraft is asking for
trouble.
The pilot of the lead aircraft has to know how to lead, the wingmen
have to know how to stack, hold position and not get sucked into the
aircraft they are guiding on.

We're not talking about wingtip to wingtip here. We're talking about
anything from about 200 feet apart to a half mile.