PW-2 Gapa

Old March 10th 04, 11:11 AM
Carl Buehler

Default PW-2 Gapa

Hello,

One of our clubs members just bought a PW-2 Gapa.
He is one of our clubs (TBSS-Tampa Bay Soaring Society) CFI-G's.
Weather did not permit soaring last week. But we are hoping to get the Gapa
soaring this weekend.

Any of the Pilots on R.A.S have any stick time in the PW-2 Gapa?
We would like to hear your comments on this primary glider.

Carl
Old March 10th 04, 11:46 AM
Mark James Boyd

In article ,
Carl Buehler wrote:
Hello,

One of our clubs members just bought a PW-2 Gapa.
He is one of our clubs (TBSS-Tampa Bay Soaring Society) CFI-G's.
Weather did not permit soaring last week. But we are hoping to get the Gapa
soaring this weekend.

Any of the Pilots on R.A.S have any stick time in the PW-2 Gapa?
We would like to hear your comments on this primary glider.

Carl

We have one at Avenal. There's a "instructor's description"
at www.soaravenal.com, under "aircraft".

I thought it was a hoot to fly! Closest thing to a hang glider you're gonna
get and still be a glider, I suppose. I'd imagine you could slope
launch it easy with wing runners.

Since it doesn't have sides to the cockpit, you gotta have
some big hairy huevos to fly it. Also, I found that two
sets of eye protection were better (after my goggles leaked
one time on tow).

It's ridiculously easy to assemble/disassemble. And it doesn't
penetrate at all, but thermals better than a 1-26 in tight because
of the super low stall speed. Landings and stalls are just
a cinch.

The tow pilot should really give a discount because it is so light
I'd love to see some pilots get their Silver altitude in it. That'd
be something to see in Soaring magazine :P

I hope he lets others fly it "like the village bicycle." Ours is
$7 a flight...
--

------------+
Mark Boyd
Old March 10th 04, 02:05 PM
Stewart Kissel

Check with an Avenal, Ca member, I believe M.J.B. is
one. The Soar Avenal site has images of their PW-2.

Old March 11th 04, 10:53 PM
Carl Buehler

Thanks Guy's,

I appreciate your comments.

Carl

Old March 14th 04, 05:33 AM
Carl Buehler

We rigged and flew the PW-2d today, it
was a blast. flights were short but had a great time.
Isn't that what soaring is all about. :-)

Did not take long to get the hang of it, But there was a tendency
to fly it faster than you should. It takes quite a bit more aliron
and rudder imput than say a Let L-13 or 1-26. It is quite a breathtaking
view looking right beside your leg to the ground from 3000 AGL!

I did one flight, Bruce who owns the Gapa and is one of our clubs
CFI-G's did two flights. And Gino who is a club member and IA did
one flight.

I was happy with my takeoff and landing. Just have to work on the
speed control a bit more with the Gapa. But I found it to be an amazing
little primary glider, and fun to fly.

Carl Buehler
Old March 14th 04, 08:02 PM
Mark James Boyd

In article ,
Carl Buehler wrote:
We rigged and flew the PW-2d today, it
was a blast. flights were short but had a great time.
Isn't that what soaring is all about. :-)

Did not take long to get the hang of it, But there was a tendency
to fly it faster than you should. It takes quite a bit more aliron
and rudder imput than say a Let L-13 or 1-26. It is quite a breathtaking
view looking right beside your leg to the ground from 3000 AGL!

I did one flight, Bruce who owns the Gapa and is one of our clubs
CFI-G's did two flights. And Gino who is a club member and IA did
one flight.

I was happy with my takeoff and landing. Just have to work on the
speed control a bit more with the Gapa. But I found it to be an amazing
little primary glider, and fun to fly.

Kinda like a hang glider or ultralight, very exposed. If you have
any buddies who do HG or ultralights, the PW-2 seems like a great
primary glider for them.

They are really cheap and easy, so I hope you can get a lot of different
folks in it. FUN, FUN, FUN!!!
--

Mark Boyd