Edelweiss - Spin recovery procedures

Old March 10th 04, 12:32 PM
Uri Saovray

Default Edelweiss - Spin recovery procedures

After hearing some hair-raising storied of difficult spin recovery on
the Siren C30S Edelweiss, I would like to ask this forum:
Does anyone have the official (or otherwise) procedure for exiting a
spin in this aircraft.
Just a hint: with the V tail and mixer, full rudder with stick forward
is not an option.
Best regards,
Uri Savoray
..................\.../..................
...................\./...................
...----------------(o)-----------------..
....................u....................
Old March 10th 04, 04:10 PM
JJ Sinclair

Hi Uri,
I believe the generally accepted spin recovery is to put the stick forward (not
full forward) and apply opposite rudder.

BTW, you may run into trouble in slipping a V-tail. I remember the accident
report on an Austria that came across the fence in a full slip. One side of the
V-tail, stalled, which reduced the down load on the tail AND she pitched right
into the ground.
Bummer,

JJ Sinclair
Old March 10th 04, 10:26 PM
Finbar

Does anyone have the official (or otherwise) procedure for exiting a
spin in this aircraft.
Just a hint: with the V tail and mixer, full rudder with stick forward
is not an option.

I know nothing about this specific aircraft, but I recently came
across a note on spin recovery technique that was a little different
to what I've read elsewhe (can be found in
http://www.seqair.com/FlightTest/Fli...tTestGuide.pdf)

"Release the stick, engine cut to idle, and push full rudder with
whichever foot is getting most resistance from the rudder pedal. This
will be opposite rudder, even if you are in an inverted spin. When
you let go of the stick, it will go of its own accord to the correct
position: back and in-spin for a normal erect spin.

This method has been promoted by aerobatic instructor Gene Beggs, to
the point that everyone calls it the 'Beggs method.' With the
exception of a few aircraft, the Beggs method has been proven to be
the safest and best method for recovering from unintentional spins of
all types: erect, inverted, and flat."

(As you can see, the reference is for powered aircraft, which of
course have much shorter wings.)

What's striking to me is that this method (and another method, the
Muller method) assume that until the spin stops the stick should be
held BACK. What I've seen before was
opposite-rudder-then-stick-forward, but this method clearly calls for
opposite-rudder-with-stick-back.

Apparently you don't need to be able to apply opposite rudder and down
elevator: full opposite rudder, and whatever stick back you can get
seems to be what they recommend. (Presumably the stick is eased
forward during the diving exit from the spin to limit g in the
pullout.)

I'd love to hear comments on this from more practiced spin-ers!
Old March 11th 04, 04:15 AM
Finbar

Maybe it's me, but I think someone has misunderstood something here. Are
you sure the method is not referring to inverted spins only?

I have spun almost every aircraft I have flown, glider or powered. I
haven't tried too many recoveries with the stick back. All the 1-26's I
have flown would respond to opposite rudder even with the stick full
back. However, unless the stick is moved forward soon after rotation
stops, you might find yourself immediately in a spin again.

Both my 301 Libelles required some stick forward to regain rudder
effectiveness.

The document I'm referring to was written for test pilots, and I'm
reading between the lines that it's understood the stick would not be
held back once the rotation stopped. In fact, the method cited
suggests letting go of the stick, rather than holding it back.

There's more detail in that document, to the effect that if the stick
is moved forward while the aircraft is still rotating, it can
accelerate the spin and make matters worse. Also, on most power
aircraft the elevator blankets the rudder when held down: not an issue
for modern sailplanes.

Take a look at the reference yourself: it's a PDF, and the section on
spins starts on page 24.

What struck you is what struck me: no reference to moving the stick
forward at all, and if you let go, then as long as the aircraft is
spinning the stick will actually float back.
Old March 14th 04, 10:59 AM
Uri Saovray

Thanks guys for the replies.
The advice I received is obviously good, but I would love to have an
official or at least tested (on an edelweiss) answer, as I would not
like to experiment with this myself.
BTW, the Edelweiss in question completed it's test flight on Friday,
after seven years being hung up in the hangar. This makes (again) two
flying C30S's in Israel.
Best regards,
Uri

Old March 15th 04, 01:41 AM
Denis

Uri Saovray wrote:

Thanks guys for the replies.
The advice I received is obviously good, but I would love to have an
official or at least tested (on an edelweiss) answer, as I would not
like to experiment with this myself.

Hi Uri,

Try on http://www.planeur.net, as C30 is (was ?) common in France

I'd guess the procedure is full opposite rudder without any back or
forward rudder (which would prevent applying full rudder on most V-tailers)

--
Denis

R. Parce que ça rompt le cours normal de la conversation !!!
Q. Pourquoi ne faut-il pas répondre au-dessus de la question ?

Parachute fails to save SR-22 Capt.Doug Piloting 72 February 10th 05 06:14 AM
SR22 Spin Recovery gwengler Piloting 9 September 24th 04 07:31 AM
Cessna 150 Price Outlook Charles Talleyrand Owning 80 October 16th 03 02:18 PM