Older Pilots and Safety

Old May 15th 04, 07:07 PM
Bob Johnson

Default Older Pilots and Safety

There's a good discussion of this subject in the current issue of
"Flying" magazine written by the editor-in-chief, Richard L. Collins.
This monthly is of course chiefly aimed at General Aviation (read power)
pilots but there are several points Collins makes that could profitably
be extracted for our benefit. By the way, Collins, holder of a current
instrument flying ticket, has just turned seventy years young himself,
so he writes with a wonderful perspective.

The first thing that comes to everyone's mind is of course memory. It's
our short-term memory that has been proven to deteriorate earliest
(Where did I put my coffee cup, car keys, you know the drill), but
Collins feels that checklists can be of benefit in handling most
problems in this department. This is particularly true when considered
in conjunction with the next big concern, concentration.

Collins believes older pilot's concentration has a tendency to
self-regulate if not improve. This has to do with the old truism that
16-yr olds know that they are going to live forever, while 70-yr olds
know that they aren't. Consequently the older you get, the more careful
you become. As Collins puts it, older pilots seem to instinctively know
that what they are doing can hurt them. Think climbing a ladder. Or not
using a checklist.

Gantenbrink gave a perfect example of this when he related the incident
of his deciding not to follow Holighaus through the pass. A good
conservative idea also suggested by Gantenbrink is to consciously stay
out of gaggles, especially when you're not a contestant.

Collins relates NTSB data showing about 125,000 active GA pilots in the
50-59 age bracket, which seems to be the group reponsible for the most
accidents, "even though they are outnumbered by pilots in the 30 to 39
and 40 to 49 age groups." There are about 50,000 pilots in the 60-69 age
bracket, and only around 25,000 in the 70 and older group. "The over-70
age group seems to have the greater incidence per capita than any other,
based on the number of pilots and the number of accidents." For whatever
reason, the evidence shows GA pilots decide to opt out of the program in
the greatest numbers between the ages of 60 and 69.

These population groups may tend to be somewhat skewed toward greater
age numbers in the older glider pilot ranks because our piloting tasks
may appear to be less demanding together with the lack of younger folks
in the pipeline, but that is only my speculation. If that this analysis
is correct however, the following
discussion about declining abilities could be even more important for us
than it might be for a GA typical pilot.

The final overall consideration is the sure knowledge that aging is not
a linear process. Reflexes, memory, agility, and vision can all be
monitored for accelerating deterioration.

The things we do reflexively include lower the nose below the horizon
on a winch line break, turn into the wind on an airtow line
break over the fence, pick up a stalled low wing with outside rudder,
clear before turning, unload the elevator the instant our mount decides
to dump its nose on its own, turn away from the ridge ---- what else can
we include here? I don't know if that little knee hammer picks this up
on
the annual physical or not. Maybe some medical person can fill us in
here.

On the memory front, Collins reminds us that if, when in your ship, you
ever wonder where you are, you're in the wrong place. It's called
situational awareness and a safe pilot can't do without it.

For the entire pilot population the third item, agility, pretty
much takes care of itself. If you can't get into your ship, and
especially if you can't get out (on the ground, let alone in the air)
you already
know what you have to do.

And the last item, vision, can be regulary evaluated at the eye
clinic. Macular degeneration and cataracts can show up faster than you
might think. Collins says, "Many of us choose to have our eyes tested
annually."

Bob Johnson
Old May 15th 04, 11:59 PM
Raphael Warshaw

While Mr. Collins is correct that there's little to be found on
effects of aging beyond 63 in the aeromedical literature, there's
quite a bit available elsewhere. The normal (expected) values for
many medical tests take age into account; most measures of human
performance do the same.

An interesting discussion of some the issues, along with some
references, can be found at:

http://cyberg.wits.ac.za/cyberg/sess.../age3/age3.pdf

There's no question that there's considerable individual variation in
the effects of aging. Research using tests which measure choice
reaction-time and vigilance (concentration and response over time)
suggests that both decline with age while simple reaction time and
reflex are much more resistent. If correct, this suggests that the
reflex hammer isn't sensitive enough.

For visual performance, contrast sensitivity and intactness of visual
fields appear to be important factors. These can be evaluated by
standard tests. If your eye doctor has the capability, ask to have a
Visual Fields test(Perimetry) performed as part of your eye exam.

Raphael Warshaw
Claremont, CA
Old May 16th 04, 01:57 AM
Dusty

Older pilots is a relative term. No doubt teenagers can beat anyone older in
video games because of their superior reaction time. Does that mean you
should stop flying if you are over 20!

Old May 16th 04, 02:19 AM
Vaughn

"Dusty" wrote in message
. com...
Older pilots is a relative term. No doubt teenagers can beat anyone older in
video games because of their superior reaction time. Does that mean you
should stop flying if you are over 20!

I don't know about others here, but at 20 I hadn't even started flying yet,
couldn't afford it. Elderism has its benefits.

Vaughn

(No, you won't find "elderism" in your dictionary, I just made it up)

Old May 17th 04, 02:01 AM
Nyal Williams

At 01:36 16 May 2004, Vaughn wrote:

'Dusty' wrote in message
.com...
Older pilots is a relative term. No doubt teenagers
can beat anyone older in
video games because of their superior reaction time.
Does that mean you
should stop flying if you are over 20!

I don't know about others here, but at 20 I hadn't
even started flying yet,
couldn't afford it. Elderism has its benefits.

Vaughn

(No, you won't find 'elderism' in your dictionary,
I just made it up)

There were two presentations on the subject of geezer
glider guiders given at the convention in Dayton two
years ago. One of them was by a doctor from Rochester,
MN, who I believe had some connection with the Mayo
Clinic (not real sure on this last point). It should
be worthwhile to hunt up that person and learn his
ideas.

Old May 21st 04, 01:08 AM
Jim Kellett

"Bob Johnson" wrote in message
There's a good discussion of this subject in the current issue of
"Flying" magazine written by the editor-in-chief, Richard L. Collins.. . .

I'm 68, been flying ca. 40 years, and have a strong vested interest in this
dialog. A couple of years ago, I attempted to start an informal local
"elder statesmen" group which would meet, socialize, and - as the mood
permitted - talk about how we've variously managing the evening of our
flying lives. No one under 60 allowed gr and what gets said there stays
there. My premise was that open dialog among peers would encourage better
self-management of how to fly as long as possible . . . but safely.

After a year of thoroughly underwhelming responses to the idea, I moved on.
I still think it's a good idea. I know I watch my own performance far more
critically than most others do, which is easy because no one knows better
than me how I USED to perform! gr

Jim Kellett
Resident Curmudgeon