A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

What ever happened to the "Wings over Sweden" project?

Old January 21st 15, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default What ever happened to the "Wings over Sweden" project?

Looks like they got around $50,000USD from 180 backers in 2013 and I haven't seen any updates since early 2014. Did someone use kickstarter to get themselves a new glider with the money or did this project ever produce anything? Still in production?

Bruno - B4
Old January 22nd 15, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Even though I had a strong suspicion that this project would go nowhere, having known about Mario Hütten and his lofty ideas about establishing a sort-of Formula 1 in the sky with him being the gliding world's Bernie Ecclestone, I still backed the project with £35 - mostly because the Swedish juniors really believed in it and I felt bad for being such an old fart with negative attitude. I already owned a copy of "Sailplane Grand Prix in the Andes" but thought that in the event that this will not fly then at least I got another copy to sell on eBay or give away in the family.
Well, the project got fully funded, I received my copy of "Sailplane Grand Prix in the Andes" and that was it - complete silence. No answers to any attempts of making contact. Mario Hütten got invited to a regional gliding conference in southern Sweden, on which he had the stomach to tell everyone that even though they got all the money they asked for they still decided to not pursue the project further because it was too little. Really. The explanation was that the project got funded by glider pilots (surprise!?) and that they decided there to be too little public interest for the project. Therefore not even the promised promo was produced - nothing.
That means that we got cheated because everyone got really into this for the promo to be produced - the other gimmicks were never of any greater interest.
Old January 22nd 15, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I am just sorry about the people having spent so much more than £35...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-over-sweden-0
Old January 22nd 15, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH "WINGS OVER SWEDEN":

Two glider pilots took it on themselves to finance, film, cut and market a seemingly similar film called "Sveriges flygande talanger" ("Sweden's flying talents"):
http://iof2.idrottonline.se/SvenskaF...tsextendedcut/

Again, this is not to be confused with "Wings over Sweden". Peter and Liisa Marin financed this all by themselves and managed to sell it (at a significant loss, I heart) to Swedish television for public broadcasting.

A DVD of the film (extended 1 hour version with English subtitles) can be bought in the shop of the Swedish Soaring Federation (see link above).

The only connection this one has with Mario Hytten's "Wings over Sweden" is that Hytten tried to make the Junior pilots sign exclusive contracts with his project and threatened with litigation (as I heart).
Old January 22nd 15, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 11:54:11 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Mario Hütten got invited to a regional gliding conference in southern Sweden, on which he had the stomach to tell everyone that even though they got all the money they asked for they still decided to not pursue the project further because it was too little. Really.

Anthony McQuiggan is credited with creating the project on the kickstarter page.
Old January 22nd 15, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

So - um - where did the money go I wonder?
Old January 22nd 15, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, 22 January 2015 18:12:56 UTC+1, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 11:54:11 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Mario Hütten got invited to a regional gliding conference in southern Sweden, on which he had the stomach to tell everyone that even though they got all the money they asked for they still decided to not pursue the project further because it was too little. Really.

Anthony McQuiggan is credited with creating the project on the kickstarter page.

Yes and I have not heart anything from him about this, either.
Old January 22nd 15, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, 22 January 2015 18:34:25 UTC+1, wrote:
So - um - where did the money go I wonder?

I don't know, perhaps the money got utilized in this wannabe-F1 ventu
http://www.skyraceworldcup.com/sky-blog/
Old January 22nd 15, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

Surely a subject that a certain would want to weigh in on.

Old January 22nd 15, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 4:19:17 PM UTC-6, Tango Eight wrote:
Surely a subject that a certain would want to weigh in on.

Tphill is busy talking to Mario, ALOT.