A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Glider UV covers on W&W?

Old January 21st 14, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terence Wilson[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Glider UV covers on W&W?

Hello all,

We're thinking of purchasing UV covers for our Ventus B from Wings & Wheels

http://wingsandwheels.com/canopy_cov...ds_contest.htm

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has purchased these covers. How was the quality?

TIA,

Terence
Old January 21st 14, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)
external usenet poster

Terence,

If you are talking about the Kerry glider covers (low price, Chinese made), they are of shockingly good quality. I purchased a set for my Lak17a (15/18) last season. Before then, I had a set of Jaxida covers which came with the glider. Unfortunately, they were already in the process of partially disintegrating (after very little use unfortunately, about 8 years old). The coating on the outside of the covers is literally flaking off in mass. Any contact with them produces a heavy snowfall of particles which gets all over everything. So each day when I removed the covers from the wing I had to completely clean the wing of this dust. Ridiculous. I gave these Jaxidia covers to my dad who will rarely need them...

Based on the quality I saw in the Lak 17 Kerry covers I have just purchased a set for an ASG-29 (which also has a set of partially disintegrating Jaxidia covers) that I now fly. I literally ordered them last evening!

As with boat covers, glider covers have a simple useful life. They are not going to last forever. The material breaks down in the heat of the trailer and of course in normal use. To pay 3-4k for Jaxidia is simply ridiculous when the Kerry covers (China) are literally 1/4 to 1/5th the price for virtually the same product. As I understand it, Jaxidia covers were or perhaps still are manufactured in China.

Figuring a 10 year useful life, the Kerry's cost about $75 a year. The Jaxidia's cost between $300 and $400 per year. It's a no brainer.

Jaxidia had a nice run but I'm not sure that they will be able to justify that kind of margin moving forward. Clearly they made a fortune up until now. So I have little remorse for their current situation.

Sean
F2

On Monday, January 20, 2014 10:57:20 PM UTC-5, Terence Wilson wrote:
Hello all,

We're thinking of purchasing UV covers for our Ventus B from Wings & Wheels

http://wingsandwheels.com/canopy_cov...ds_contest.htm

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has purchased these covers. How was the quality?

TIA,

Terence

Old January 22nd 14, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 1:38:09 PM UTC-5, Sean F (F2) wrote:
Terence,

If you are talking about the Kerry glider covers (low price, Chinese made), they are of shockingly good quality.

I bought a set of these late last fall from Eastern Sailplane and they look like they are very well made. No idea how they fit or stand up to the elements yet. Ask me in a few years :-)
Old January 23rd 14, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom K (TK)
external usenet poster

I just bought a set of covers for my ASG-29 from Eastern Sailplane and they are very good quality at a very reasonable price. ($775)