Selling on Ebay

Old May 28th 04, 12:49 PM
Jay Honeck

If you really think it's important to keep a room clear for someone who
thinks they'll be allergic to a dog that was in the room before them, keep

room or two as "no smoking, no dogs". Putting dog owners in smoking rooms
is dumb.

If I had 200 suites, that might be possible, Pete. I have 27 -- of which
only 10 are "theme suites" thus far. (3 more are in the works...)

Then insist on a suitable deposit. As a dog owner, I can tell you that

we'd
happily put down a $1000 refundable damage deposit

That's pretty funny! Many of our guests are stretching to make the $99.95
theme suite rate. If I were to ask for a $1000 deposit, that would be the
same as posting a sign out front that says "No Pets Allowed".

Worse, pet damage doesn't manifest itself while the guest is still around.
Kitty pee becomes noticeable about a week after the guest is gone -- far too
late to charge them for damage.

The majority of our guests with pets fully understand the risk I'm taking
allowing pets in our suites, and are simply happy we allow them at all.
With many thousands of dollars tied up in each theme suite, I would be a
fool to put my investment at such a needless risk.

As we continue the transition to all-theme suites, eventually both smoking
*and* pets will go away. Both groups represent an incredible risk -- just
ask any insurance company.

I had thought that on our next trip that takes us through Iowa, we'd stop

by
Alexis Park Inn, but since you have a "pet owner equals smoker" policy, I
can assure you we'll steer clear.

We'll miss you. :-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 28th 04, 01:39 PM
David Megginson

Peter Duniho wrote:

Just as you for some reason don't seem to understand why pet owners don't
want to be lumped in the same category. A handful of pet allergy suffers
will swear up and down pets are just as bad as cigarette smoke, but there
are thousands of hotels across the country that know different, and we've
stayed at over a hundred of them.

I'm with Peter on this one. I hope to stay at Jay's hotel some day if I'm
in that part of the continent, but obviously not if I have my dog along and
have to stay in a smoking room -- it's just not worth the screaming headache
I'll end up.

All the best,

David
Old May 28th 04, 01:51 PM
Rosspilot

I think it's unfortunate that innkeepers group "pets" into the same catagory as
if they are all the same.

You wouldn't even know my dog had been in your finest suite. He's immaculate,
well-behaved, and would never damage anything.
He's probably a better guest and more considerate than 75% of your human
guests.
I also would happily put $1000 down to cover any possible damages . . . as I
have 100% confidence in him.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old May 28th 04, 02:13 PM
Jay Honeck

I also would happily put $1000 down to cover any possible damages . . .
as I
have 100% confidence in him.

Okay -- new rule, just for you guys:

Any pilot willing to put down a $1000 deposit can stay in our theme suites
with their dogs. (Sorry, cats are absolutely verboten -- too many people
are violently allergic to them, including me.)

He's probably a better guest and more considerate than 75% of your human
guests.

I've found that most dogs are better than 75% of the people in the world!
:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 28th 04, 02:23 PM
David Megginson

Jay Honeck wrote:

I've found that most dogs are better than 75% of the people in the world!
:-)

A couple of years ago I saw a sign on the door of a popular toy store here
in Ottawa saying that dogs were welcome inside. I asked the staff about it:
they said that they'd never forbidden dogs, but most people assumed they
were allowed and tied them outside in the sun, so they put up the sign.

I asked if they had any problems: they said that they'd had children make
noise, urinate on the floor, and bite people, but that they'd never had a
problem with the dogs.

All the best,

David
Old May 28th 04, 03:00 PM
Rosspilot

I've found that most dogs are better than 75% of the people in the world!
:-)

I've always known that you are "my kind of people", Jay . . .
http://skyviewpictures.com/html/harley.html

www.Rosspilot.com

Old May 28th 04, 03:47 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

For example, I'm amazed what some people use our towels for -- you'd swear
they were checking their oil with them.

You mean we're not supposed to do that?

but NOTHING will remove cat dander or urine.

Can't help with the dander problem, but here's something to try on the urine. Contact
your local Avon rep and pick up a bottle of their cheapest perfume. The stuff I used
to use came in big red glass bottles. After making your best attempt at cleaning the
urine up, apply some of that.

Some would claim that the cure is worse than the disease, but at least the smell of
the perfume eventually goes away. Can't hurt to try it.

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
Old May 28th 04, 03:52 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

Any pilot willing to put down a $1000 deposit can stay in our theme suites
with their dogs. (Sorry, cats are absolutely verboten -- too many people
are violently allergic to them, including me.)

Well, keep one room free of that. I'm violently allergic to dogs.

Old May 28th 04, 05:11 PM
Jay Honeck

But you'll remember, dear, the point of the story was that the kid
kidnapped
was so rotten, the crooks eventually paid a tidy sum to be rid of him. I

can
testify that Jay's boy is pleasant enough that he'd require special

training to
take part in such a scam...though he'd be smart enough to see the fun in

doing
it!

Yeah, he's smart enough to be a real danger to us all... ;-)

But he DID do his first touch & go last night. Well, I took over at about
20 feet AGL, but he would have lived, IMHO, had I let him land.

Whether we could have used the plane again, well, that's another question...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 28th 04, 05:12 PM
Jay Honeck

Any pilot willing to put down a $1000 deposit can stay in our theme
suites
with their dogs. (Sorry, cats are absolutely verboten -- too many

people
are violently allergic to them, including me.)

Well, keep one room free of that. I'm violently allergic to dogs.

Augh! There's just no winning...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA