IGC announces the 11-meter class

Old April 1st 16, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default IGC announces the 11-meter class

Just in from the IGC!
The long-rumoured 11-meter class has been introduced.
From the IGC:

....Extrapolating from the amazing success of the PW-5 and
subsequent 13.5 meter class, we now introduce the 11-meter class.
Benefits include:

- More classes mean more competitions and growth for our sport.

- Smaller glider size and weight will further reduce cost,
as clearly the cost of design, engineering, certification, and
support will be drastically less for smaller gliders. Also,
manufacturing of small gliders will be far less complicated,
and possible in standard-length garages.

- Technology advances will provide 11-meter gliders with better
performance than current monstrous spans.

- Shorter and easier retrieves will make this a favorite among
crews! And crews will get more practice, improving the social
aspects of gliding.

- Smaller size brings greater maneuverability, so pilots
will not have to suffer with the handling difficulties now
considered routine with 18-meter and larger gliders.

- Smaller and lighter gliders are more easily assembled by
aging glider pilots (especially those using walkers).

Bids are now being accepted for the first 11-meter world championships,
to be held in 2017.

For further details, visit the IGC Web site.
Old April 1st 16, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Dave Nadler wrote on 4/1/2016 6:58 AM:
Just in from the IGC!
The long-rumoured 11-meter class has been introduced.
From the IGC:

- Smaller and lighter gliders are more easily assembled by
aging glider pilots (especially those using walkers).

Bids are now being accepted for the first 11-meter world championships,
to be held in 2017.

As the owner of an 11 meter motorglider (with the short tips), I'm
pleased to know I'll have a class to fly it in. As an aging glider pilot
who still owns an 18 m motorglider, I can tell you that bad boy is
getting heavier and more awkward every year, though once in the air,
it's fabulous!

email me)

Old April 1st 16, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

Thanks Dave. This really is an exciting announcement! I congratulate the IGC in their bold move here today.

The first 11 meter class manufacturer has submitted the following video for our review.

Clearly, this new 11 m design concept possesses an entirely new level of control system harmony. Of course, the entirely new airfoil (of course) was developed over years of painstaking analysis of relevant flight data. This has resulted in a entirely new glider concept which really surpasses all current designs in cost, weight, complexity, cockpit comfort and of course, performance! Especially significant breakthroughs have been made in the area of pilot/crash safety.

This new 11m class design can even be towed by a small RC cub or perhaps even a large, well trained bird...

Impressive!

Behold and enjoy,

http://youtu.be/EyKslmoLKns
Old April 1st 16, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

On Friday, April 1, 2016 at 7:53:53 AM UTC-7, Sean wrote:
[...]

Kudos to the IGC for promoting a more environmentally sensitive competition class. The shorter span will surely lead to lower losses in the insect population which is magnified down the entire food chain. Well done.

7Q
Old April 4th 16, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

On Friday, April 1, 2016 at 6:58:58 AM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
Just in from the IGC!
The long-rumoured 11-meter class has been introduced.
From the IGC:

...Extrapolating from the amazing success of the PW-5 and
subsequent 13.5 meter class, we now introduce the 11-meter class.
Benefits include:

Second manufacturing design is just in.
The Leftus.

Design priority was given to
recycling from used equipment.
left hand thermalling only for mid-air reduction.
simpler owner-pilot training for only half the maneuvers.

Along with the fore-mentioned IGC criteria.

_________________
|______ ______|
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
) (
/ \
| |
/ \________________________________________
| \
| ________________________________________/
| /
\ /
\ /
\ _ /

"Leftus in the Dust"

Thanks, Dave.

Cindy B

Old April 7th 16, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Damon

How does one pull out of flying straight ahead acrobatic manuever. .
Old April 8th 16, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

I holding out for the 5 m class for my next purchase - those things will be little rockets.

13.5 Meter class Gerry Simpson Soaring 2 December 11th 15 03:47 PM
IGC Decision on 13.5 meter class - Yes or No? Tim[_2_] Soaring 19 March 11th 10 06:38 AM
[USA] What do you think of the 13.5 Meter Class? R S Soaring 17 January 30th 10 02:33 AM
[USA] What do you think of the 20 Meter 2 Seat Class? R S Soaring 24 January 29th 10 01:38 PM
National Aviation Hall of Fame Announces Class of 2005 Mergatroide Aviation Marketplace 0 January 18th 05 07:35 AM