"Ground cushion"

Old February 26th 08, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Default "Ground cushion"

"gatt" wrote in message

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
. ..

I have found that in the early stages of discussion, ground cushion puts a
useful picture into the student's mind...we can get into downwash later.

I like that explanation. He also made a reference to watching a seagull
glide over calm water, and flare to land.

Granted, I suppose there are readers who might never have seen a seagull
over water (?) but physics aside it's a clear, memorable representation of
the general idea.

That is certainly an opportunity that more people don't have; but for those
who do, pelicans are far easier to watch sinply because they are larger and
spend more of their time gliding close to the shore line.

Of course, without some prior knowledge, it's also easy to be tricked--and I
suspect that they were the most likely source of both anhedral and wing
warping for the Wright Flier.

Peter

Old February 26th 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

I cured students of landing flat (or on the nosewheel) by taking them to
Lake Union to watch floatplanes land. I get really riled up when instructors
get too pedantic in explaining things to students.

Bob Gardner

"gatt" wrote in message

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
. ..

I have found that in the early stages of discussion, ground cushion puts a
useful picture into the student's mind...we can get into downwash later.

I like that explanation. He also made a reference to watching a seagull
glide over calm water, and flare to land.

Granted, I suppose there are readers who might never have seen a seagull
over water (?) but physics aside it's a clear, memorable representation of
the general idea.

...which reminds me of photo series in the Jepp Instrument/Commercial
textbook showing a wayward seagull who forgot to lower his landing gear.
The book indicates that even natural born aviators do it on occasion,
which is why checklists are important. Won't forget that one either.

-c