New Shiny! Toy

Old March 3rd 04, 01:26 AM
Dave Buckles

Default New Shiny! Toy

It occurs to me that I've somehow managed to avoid actually posting the
details of my recent purchase. Some of you may have noticed (from some
of my other posts) that I just picked up a new toy. She's a 1993 Socata
TB9 Tampico (pictures are available on my company website,
http://www.flight-instruction.com/images/n30391/, and my personal site,
http://www.barefootclown.net/aerial/). Please be nice to the personal
site, it's hosted on a cable modem.
I am particularly amused by a few of those pictures, most notably the
one at
http://www.flight-instruction.com/im...screenshot.png.
Yes, I bought this airplane on eBay. I've discussed my experience with
that over on r.a.o. in a couple of threads, but I'd be happy to answer
questions. I've also mentioned my experiences with MBNA; I'm less
enthusiastic about discussing (and dealing with) them, though I'll
certainly give my fair and unvarnished opinion (can't say "fair and
balanced," FOXNews might sue me!) of them if asked.
PIREP: About twenty hours of flying later (ten just to get it home!), I
love the thing. Systems and performance are similar to a Cherokee
Warrior (same Lycoming O-320 D-series engine), but I get a little better
climb rate, better handling, and *eight inches* more cabin space! No
more students sitting on my lap! The useful load (on the older birds,
at least), is close to half a ton, giving me plenty to play with.
Handling is marvelous. Just as docile in the stall as the Warrior
(perhaps more so), with no wing drop. Fly it once, and you'll wonder
where it gets having as much roll authority as it does, what with the
little tiny ailerons. Solo, in cold air, with me, baggage, and full
tanks (probably about 550 lb total), I was seeing better than 1000fpm
climb, and cruising (high cruise) at 110ktas. Range is good; flew CPS
(east St. Louis) to 1K4 (~25nm south of Oklahoma City) with night VFR
reserves, at that high cruise (about 9.5/hr, I think), with a bit of
headwind.
I've let several people fly her, including an airline pilot (and an
A-26, and a Baron, and a 172, and various helicopters, and an A&P, and .
.. .) and a corporate (King Air) pilot, and everybody has loved her. BIG
glass windows, almost like a bubble canopy, and large gullwing doors,
are a nice touch, particularly to passengers.
A little history: she spent a large portion of her life as a trainer in
New York, then moved to New Jersey, where she was flown by a dentist for
fun and transportation. He sold her to a guy in Elyria, OH (from whom I
bought her), who used her for the same (he sold her because he's getting
into helicopters). Now I have her (along with a student of mine), and
we have her back out on the rental line. Not very many people familiar
with Socatas; I've described her many times as "a French-built
Cherokee," and even worked under a Cherokee callsign with approach while
they tried to figure out what to do with me. The local guys are finally
figuring it out. Students have been very receptive to her (particularly
the wide cabin!), and I'm also setting up a deal with the University of
Oklahoma's Aviation Club to let them fly her at-cost. They've been
wanting an airplane for four years now (I should know; I'm the one who
started the idea!), and I want to try to give them one.
Short answer: I think I found a winner here. The French got it right.
--Dave

--
Dave Buckles

http://www.flight-instruction.com
Old March 3rd 04, 01:31 AM
Dave Buckles

Dave Buckles wrote:

snip

Yes, I know it's bad form to reply to one's own post. Forgot to say it,
though: Jay, take your pick of any one or more of the pictures on either
site for the Rogue's Gallery; I'll send you more/different/whatever if
you want something else.
--Dave

--
Dave Buckles

http://www.flight-instruction.com
Old March 3rd 04, 12:12 PM
g n p

Congrats, excellent decision.
Me proud owner of SX-ADE, 1992 TB-9.
Anything you want, e-mail me privately.
Tip #1 Check for actual a/c weight and balance. Usually way off the example
in the POH.
George

Old March 3rd 04, 12:13 PM
Dennis O'Connor

umm, did you take economics 101 while you were there?

In any event, the best of luck...

denny

"Dave Buckles" wrote in

Old March 3rd 04, 01:05 PM
Jay Honeck

Way to go, Dave!

I'll send you an email off-group about the Rogue's Gallery...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 3rd 04, 10:45 PM
Judah

Boy that brings back some fond memories...

I got my private in your plane in 2001. Looks like it's been cleaned up a
bit since then. The upholstery on the seats look spotless and is that a GPS
surrouding the Avionics Pack? That wasn't there a couple of years ago!

It was a good plane to fly in - especially when you take a 250lb guy like
me, and sit him next to an 225lb instructor like mine! Besides having two
doors, and being fairly wide, things were just laid out in the right
place...

Good luck with it! And Congratulations!

Dave Buckles wrote in

Old March 5th 04, 03:04 AM
Charlie

That's awesome Dave-
I attended Embry Riddle for a semester back in 93... the Tampico was what I
flew every day... in fact, the one that I did my first solo in only had 100
hours on it. They're real fun to fly... nice and stable.

Enjoy!
Charlie

Old March 5th 04, 05:49 PM
Paul Sengupta

These can give you a bit of a headache.

Not because they are problematic, but because you keep
hitting your head on them. Or maybe it's just me...

Paul