Microphones

Old March 10th 11, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Microphones

On 3/10/2011 8:22 AM, Paul Tribe wrote:

Certainly I was taught to enter and egress a glider from the left
also, although no explanation was give as to why this was the
case - it was just "what you did". I learnt in K21s that have
transversely hinged canopies, but the microphone is on the right
too.

I enter and leave my glider from the "low" side - that's the side with
the wing on the ground; otherwise, it's a noticeably higher sill to
crawl over on my ASH 26 E. The boom microphone is easily pushed to the
side of the cockpit.

I think I'd like a panel mounted directional mike because I wouldn't
have to make an effort to put my mouth close to the boom mike while I'm
looking around for clouds and traffic, and while trying to coordinate a
photo shoot with another glider.

email me)

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what
you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz
Old March 10th 11, 07:20 PM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bildan View Post
On Mar 9, 5:58*pm, Randy wrote:
Hi All
A Question about Boom Mics. Why are they always mounted on the right
side of the cockpit? Is there any reason for not being able to mount
them on the Left side.
Thanks
Randy

I've sometimes wondered why a highly directional mike couldn't be
mounted in the instrument panel which would be completely out of
harm's way.
I have a friend in Auckland NZ who has a mike as you describe mounted in the panel in his ASW27. It works well

Colin
Old March 10th 11, 07:34 PM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Scholz[_3_] View Post
Am 10.03.2011 04:03, bildan wrote:
On Mar 9, 5:58 pm, wrote:
Hi All
A Question about Boom Mics. Why are they always mounted on the right
side of the cockpit? Is there any reason for not being able to mount
them on the Left side.
Thanks
Randy

I've sometimes wondered why a highly directional mike couldn't be
mounted in the instrument panel which would be completely out of
harm's way.

Actually there is someone in Germany offering such panel-mounted
microphones for 49 EUR in the classified ads on
http://www.segelflug.de/cgi-bin/clas...lassifieds.cgi

Search for "Einbaumicro" or Ad no. 10339. I guess you also could use any
other highly directional mike from your nearest electronics supplier....

--
Peter Scholz
ASW24 JE

Installation of micro instrument panel, adjustable gain, mounting hole diameter 14mm, connection cable length 0.5 m, operating voltage range of 8V ... 25V, suitable for all common radios, 49 € inclusive shipping
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini mike.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	45694
Old March 10th 11, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

On 3/10/2011 5:53 AM, Dave Stewart wrote:

Apart from the ergonomics I would think it's historical. People wore a
sword on their left so mounted a horse from the left to prevent it
fouling. They rode on the left as it was easier to fight someone on their
right side. When it came to cars people mounted from the left to stay out
of the road. The chauffeur would get in from the other side hence R/H drive
cars.

I've always guessed 'the sword (and horse/critter) thing' originated from
there being more natural righties than lefties. (Try drawing your sword with
your right hand from your right side; I've no doubt someone on the web sells
swords if you don't have one handy...) On the other hand, American Plains
Indians (so I've read) tended to mount their horses from the right side, but
since that history was written mostly by white guys, it may be suspect! I'd
contend there's something sinister about all this, but few would get the weird
humor (ha ha)...

Which raises the question "why is America the opposite?

Henry Ford. He (sensibly, it can be argued) decided to put the driver on the
left side of the Model T because it was 'generally the custom' over here with
horse-drawn carriages to pass on the right of oncoming carriages, and
(presumably) it followed that ladies typically entered carriages from the
right side. What I've read (attributions entirely forgotten) claimed Ford
decided to continue the lady-entrance-tradition (think 'horseless carriage,'
long dresses, dirt 'roads,' and few sidewalks outside of cities' downtowns),
as both likely - insofar as the ladies would be concerned (many of whom would
have to be convinced that spending money on the newfangled contraption for
'everyman' was in the house budget) - to be cleaner (in the event of
sidewalks) and safer (in the event of passing traffic).

I also think it used to be considered unlucky to mount from the right!

Dave

Never read that one! I generally entered my Zuni (think ~6-foot-long
removeable canopy; 'AS W-12-like' landing gear) from the low side. At camps
with ramps, right-side preferred because nothing projects above the side rail;
at my home field, operations favor the left side, which requires getting
legs/butt over ~6" of projecting flap handle.

Bob W.
Old March 10th 11, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 16:22:53 +0000, Paul Tribe wrote:

Certainly I was taught to enter and egress a glider from the left also,
although no explanation was give as to why this was the case - it was
just "what you did". I learnt in K21s that have transversely hinged
canopies, but the microphone is on the right too.

Your club's K21 is different from my club's pair, then. Their canopies
open fore and aft. Are you sure you aren't thinking of a K13, a G.103 or
even a Puchacz?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old March 11th 11, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

it may be suspect! I'd
contend there's something sinister about all this, but few would get the weird
humor (ha ha)...

Even those with an understanding of sinister and dexter may still find
it a bit wierd.

Andy
Old March 11th 11, 09:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Trev Barnes

At 19:43 10 March 2011, Bob Whelan wrote:
[...]

This is mainly historical, as canopies primarily hinged on the right.
Most people put GPS, etc on the right so all of the erroneous equipment is
on the right, such that in the event of a bail out you don’t have to fight
your way over all of the rubbish.
Any equipment that is removed from the cockpit is a bonus as it frees up
the exit route. I can give you an example of someone having to climb over
the GPS stick on mount to bail out in the 20 seconds before it hit the
ground, he won’t mount it there again. Flying is about good habits, so
putting all of the excess equipment in the same place is a good practice.

Panel mounts are now fitted to a lot of new gliders in Europe and are very
good, with no issues to report.

Old March 11th 11, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Tribe[_2_]

At 20:59 10 March 2011, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 16:22:53 +0000, Paul Tribe wrote:

Certainly I was taught to enter and egress a glider from the

left also,
although no explanation was give as to why this was the

case - it was
just "what you did". I learnt in K21s that have transversely

hinged
canopies, but the microphone is on the right too.

Your club's K21 is different from my club's pair, then. Their

canopies
open fore and aft. Are you sure you aren't thinking of a K13, a

G.103 or
even a Puchacz?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
org |

I'm not confused, but maybe my description was poorly written:

The hinges are aligned transversely and, therefore, as the
rotational freedoms are normal to the hinge axes, the canopies
open fore and aft.

The K13, G103 and the Junior etc. have longitudinal hinges,
allowing the canopies to open "sideways".

I have, of course, once made the mistake of loosing both
catches of a Junior canopy while ground handling. Luckily for my
wallet, we operate from a grass airfield....