Fatal Injury: hit by the prop

Old January 23rd 05, 02:44 AM

Default Fatal Injury: hit by the prop

I'm a student pilot and I fly out of Chandler, AZ. I thought that I
would post this accident because I have read reports posted by others,
and I always find them valuable as a reminder of safety. This plane is
a rental at my FBO and I have flown it quite a few times, so that makes
this extra scary. Nobody knows what the pilot was doing outside of the
plane. The plane is now sitting in the hangar back in Chandler. I
talked to a few of the instructors today about it.. nobody wants to fly
the plane, and the owner is planning to sell it.

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 2157H Make/Model: C172 Description: 172, P172,
R172, Skyhawk, Hawk
Date: 01/18/2005 Time: 0700

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: N
Missing: N
Damage: None

LOCATION
City: CASA GRANDE State: AZ Country: US

DESCRIPTION
ACFT WAS FOUND IDLING AT THE DEPARTURE END OF THE AIRPORT, THE PILOT
WAS
STRUCK BY THE PROP AND FATALLY INJURED, CASA GRANDE, AZ

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 1
# Crew: 1 Fat: 1 Ser: 0 Min: 0
Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0
Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0
Unk:

WEATHER: NOT REPORTED

OTHER DATA
Activity: Pleasure Phase: Standing Operation: General
Aviation

Departed: CASA GRANDE, AZ Dep Date: 01/18/2005 Dep.
Time:
Destination: CHANDLER, AZ Flt Plan: Wx
Briefing:
Last Radio Cont:
Last Clearance:

FAA FSDO: SCOTTSDALE, AZ (WP07) Entry date:
01/21/2005

Old January 23rd 05, 05:36 AM
Jay Beckman

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm a student pilot and I fly out of Chandler, AZ. I thought that I
would post this accident because I have read reports posted by others,
and I always find them valuable as a reminder of safety. This plane is
a rental at my FBO and I have flown it quite a few times, so that makes
this extra scary. Nobody knows what the pilot was doing outside of the
plane. The plane is now sitting in the hangar back in Chandler. I
talked to a few of the instructors today about it.. nobody wants to fly
the plane, and the owner is planning to sell it.

Mike,

Who's 172 is/was this? Chandler Air Service?

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ also...

Old January 23rd 05, 06:10 AM
BTIZ

well.. either it was intentional... or he got out to "fix something", did
not shut down the engine and walked into the spinning prop.. it has happened
more than once...
saw the oil check door pop open?
something banging outside.. like the passengers seat belt against the
fuselage in the prop blast? normally those don't make too much noise until
take off.

BT

ups.com...

Old January 23rd 05, 09:03 AM

The plane was with Angel Air out of Stellar. The pilot was a renter.

Old January 23rd 05, 09:37 AM

The plane was based out of Stellar with Angel Air. The pilot was a
renter.

Old January 23rd 05, 01:39 PM
Slick

I think this is why they teach us never to use the brake lock, for anything.
Instead they tell us to stand on the brakes during run up. You learn real
quick not to follow anyone too close when in line for take off and playing
with charts because you can get distracted and start moving but not notice
it.
"BTIZ" wrote in message
well.. either it was intentional... or he got out to "fix something", did
not shut down the engine and walked into the spinning prop.. it has

happened
more than once...
saw the oil check door pop open?
something banging outside.. like the passengers seat belt against the
fuselage in the prop blast? normally those don't make too much noise until
take off.

BT

ups.com...

Old January 23rd 05, 02:34 PM
Mike W.

"Slick" wrote in message ...
I think this is why they teach us never to use the brake lock, for

anything.
Instead they tell us to stand on the brakes during run up. You learn real
quick not to follow anyone too close when in line for take off and playing
with charts because you can get distracted and start moving but not notice
it.

What does the parking brake have to do with the pilot walking into the prop?
Getting anywhere near the front of an airplane with a running engine is
something you just don't do.
I'm figuring he did one of two things. It was cold out, so he thought he
would start it first, let the engine idle and warm up while he finished the
walk-around, or he forgot to pull wheel chocks.
There was a prop strike story not too long ago, a pilot left the engine
running at the FBO. He was either picking up or dropping off a young child.
He watched the child walk right into the prop. The moral here is, if anyone
is going to be near the front of the plane, shut it down.

Old January 23rd 05, 02:57 PM

My take on this, is that the engine should be shut down if anyone is
exiting the airplane for any reason. I think that "knowing" that the
prop is there isn't enough. People get distracted, hurried, etc.

This reminds me of a time when I was a kid and watched a friend of mine
stick his fingers into the prop swath of a model airplane. The prop cut
his finger to the bone. I asked him what happened, and he said "I guess
I just forgot it was there because I couldn't see it, and then just
reached in to adjust the idle screw"

Old January 23rd 05, 03:34 PM
BTIZ

What does the parking brake have to do with the pilot walking into the
prop?
Getting anywhere near the front of an airplane with a running engine is
something you just don't do.
I'm figuring he did one of two things. It was cold out, so he thought he
would start it first, let the engine idle and warm up while he finished
the
walk-around, or he forgot to pull wheel chocks.

he had already taxied to the departure end, it was in the original posting..
BT

Old January 23rd 05, 04:07 PM
mike regish

I always thought the paint on the prop tips was for decoration until my A&P
had me repaint them. It's there to make the tips visible when they're
spinning.

mike regish

wrote in message
oups.com...

This reminds me of a time when I was a kid and watched a friend of mine
stick his fingers into the prop swath of a model airplane. The prop cut
his finger to the bone. I asked him what happened, and he said "I guess
I just forgot it was there because I couldn't see it, and then just
reached in to adjust the idle screw"

Right prop, wrong prop? Wood prop, metal prop? Gus Rasch Aerobatics 1 February 14th 08 10:18 PM
Ivo Prop on O-320 Dave S Home Built 14 October 15th 04 03:04 AM
Prop Pitch Question Eugene Wendland Home Built 2 April 25th 04 03:22 AM
IVO props... comments.. Dave S Home Built 16 December 6th 03 11:43 PM
Metal Prop vs. Wood Prop Larry Smith Home Built 21 September 26th 03 07:45 PM