MOST UGLY GLIDER ?

Old February 20th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default MOST UGLY GLIDER ?

I did rather plagiarise the Most beautiful thread of course.

But is your t'other half really arguing, does he have permission to do that?

:-)

Malcolm...

"MickiMinner" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok, now an argument has REALLY started. My husband and I are
disagreeing about the ugliest glider. I say a genesis is (short
squatty), whereas my husband says the genesis is really quite lovely.
His vote is for the "whale" RHJ-?.
I dunno, but Malcom, I don't have pictures of either, but you really
made us spit out our coffee laughing while reading your new thread.

Old February 20th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

And you admit in writing that the T53 was above you, WOW !!

I don't mind admitting that a Kestrel 18 was above my K6 over Denbigh
though, (and the CFI was flying it, so it must be better...)

Malcolm...

"Robin Birch" wrote in message
In message cCUlhtvFIYkV-pn2-tLs9zUBNVz8l@localhost, Ian Johnston
writes
On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:44:36 UTC, Asbjorn Hojmark
wrote:

: That'll have to be a tie between the SZD-25 Lis

I'd never seen one of them before. It's lovely - I want one!

Ian

PS Ugliest? Dead heat between Kronfeld's "Austria", Slingsby/YS-53 and
Bijave.

Having sat in wave at Port Moak back in October and watched a T53 (The
original slingsby one, not the later YS) higher than me - I was in a Duo -
I am a little careful about what I say about them :-)

Robin

--
Robin Birch

Old February 20th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

:
: Having sat in wave at Port Moak back in October and watched a T53 (The
: original slingsby one, not the later YS) higher than me - I was in a Duo
: - I am a little careful about what I say about them :-)

Is that Eoin MacDonalds? I once got a wonderfully peeved reaction from
the owner of a private Ventus, 11,000' aboce Sutton Bank when he
looked round and saw me beside him in the club Ka8 ...

Ian
Old February 20th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Plastic gliders..

Has to be the PW5...
Closely followed by the Genesis with the runner up being that hideaous
motor glider Rutan Designed (Solitaire).

Wooden has to be the the following Flying plank, Bijave, Any of the
Fauvel flying wings.

Tin has to be anything SGS....(232 might be the one half decent one
they made if viewed from 200ft away)

Al

Old February 20th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Be nice now ! My whale isn't so ugly.
Perhaps you're just referring to the redneck paint job
(ie, many different colors and needing a paint job).
Its predecessor RHJ-7 is a bit dowdy, but not ugly...
See ya, Dave

PS: See what happens next time he wants a ride in it !

Old February 20th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In article ,
Asbjorn Hojmark wrote:

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 18:41:19 GMT, "Malcolm Austin"
wrote:

I see in another thread that some are looking for the prettiest gliders,
set me thinking, what's the ugliest (and picture links if possible please!

That'll have to be a tie between the SZD-25 Lis and the PW-5 Smyk.

http://www.piotrp.de/SZYBOWCE/dszd25.htm
http://www.piotrp.de/SZYBOWCE/dpw5.htm

-A

Hmm, That's the first time I've even heard of the Lis. I think it is
fairly attractive. The Poles have built some of the most beautiful
gliders ever. We should give them a break about the poor Smyk.
Old February 20th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At the National Soaring Museum we have over 75 gliders, and pictures of
many more.

There are no ugly gliders.

Old February 20th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

So what is a Smyk anyway???

Old February 20th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Peter Smith wrote:
At the National Soaring Museum we have over 75 gliders, and pictures of
many more.

There are no ugly gliders.

Let me pose the question a different way: "What is the best looking
glider?". Would you have an opinion then, or would you say: "They are
all equally good looking"?

Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder. Sociologists did a
study of beauty using infants who, presumably, have no preconceived
notion of beauty. They were shown pictures of all types of women and
their reactions were recorded. The babies definitely had a much more
positive response to what most of us would call beautiful women.

Tom Seim

Old February 21st 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"MickiMinner" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok, now an argument has REALLY started. My husband and I are
disagreeing about the ugliest glider. I say a genesis is (short
squatty), whereas my husband says the genesis is really quite lovely.
His vote is for the "whale" RHJ-?.
I dunno, but Malcom, I don't have pictures of either, but you really
made us spit out our coffee laughing while reading your new thread.

Here is a picture a RHJ-8
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/RHJ/C-FAJT.html
which is much nicer than an RHJ-7
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/RHJ/N7514.html

Aerodynamics of carrying water Gene Whitt Soaring 54 October 19th 05 07:24 PM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM
Restricting Glider Ops at Public Arpt. rjciii Soaring 36 August 25th 03 04:50 PM