"FAA Survey"?

Old September 11th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

Default "FAA Survey"?

Last week, I received a telephone call purporting to be from FAA,
querying Commercial-rated pilots, seeking "your satisfaction with FAA
services." When I answered that I am not currently exercising the
Commercial privileges, she ended the "survey."

Foolishly, I failed to take notes regarding the name of the caller and
callback information.

I know that FAA lost a laptop in Miami, in July, which contained
identity information on all Florida pilots. I called orlando FDSO; the
inspector I talked to was unaware of any survey being conducted.

My question: Is this part of a scheme to create counterfeit pilot
certificates for nefarious purposes, or what?

I did call the FBI, who advised me to collect the name and contact
information of any future caller.

Am I being paranoid, or what?
Old September 11th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
Last week, I received a telephone call purporting to be from FAA,
querying Commercial-rated pilots, seeking "your satisfaction with FAA
services." When I answered that I am not currently exercising the
Commercial privileges, she ended the "survey."

Foolishly, I failed to take notes regarding the name of the caller and
callback information.

I know that FAA lost a laptop in Miami, in July, which contained
identity information on all Florida pilots. I called orlando FDSO; the
inspector I talked to was unaware of any survey being conducted.

My question: Is this part of a scheme to create counterfeit pilot
certificates for nefarious purposes, or what?

I did call the FBI, who advised me to collect the name and contact
information of any future caller.

Am I being paranoid, or what?

Very odd that FSDO wouldn't know anything about it. Could you possibly
try Oklahoma City and ask?

FWIW, I'm a commercial pilot and haven't received such a call, although
I don't live in FL.
Old September 11th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

Government agencies do their business via official mail, not blind
telephone calls..

denny

Old September 11th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_1_]

A more likely albeit totally unsubstantiated scenario....

"After the recent tragedy that occurred at Lexington, Kentucky, blah blah
blah... single air traffic controller... blah blah blah.... FAA official....
bla bla bla... This (station, newspaper, ect) conducted an extensive
telephone survey of the nations commercial pilots. As a result of our
survey, this reporter has learned that most commercial pilots a (very
unsatisfied, satisfied, slightly satisfied, slightly dissatisfied,
dissatisfied, very dissatisfied) with the services of the FAA."

It wouldn't take much mental effort to search the FAA's pilot database
online then start calling pilots. When I was looking for an Aztec I
downloaded the aircraft ownership database, sorted it several times then
cross referenced the names with the pilots certificate database, looking for
pilots without a current medical. It took me all of an hour. A little
googleing for names and addresses and I soon had phone numbers of several
Aztec owners without medicals who indeed had their Aztecs for sale.

Jim

news

Old September 11th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 13:03:26 -0500, Jim Burns wrote:

It wouldn't take much mental effort to search the FAA's pilot database
online then start calling pilots.

In fact, one new airpark in this area did precisely that for marketing
purposes not too long ago.

- Andrew

Old September 11th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Jim Burns" wrote:

[...]

In my case, the caller identified herself as being with the FAA -- not a
TV station.

Old September 11th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Andrew Gideon wrote:

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 13:03:26 -0500, Jim Burns wrote:

It wouldn't take much mental effort to search the FAA's pilot database
online then start calling pilots.

In fact, one new airpark in this area did precisely that for marketing
purposes not too long ago.

I noticed that relatively recently the FAA did take into account pilots'
privacy -- and made good on opt-out requests (I don't remember how I did
it, but it is an option you can request); for instance my records no
longer show up when I do an online search. Now, of course, I suppose
there are a number of copies of older versions of this database floating
around.

--Sylvain
Old September 11th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_1_]

Fictional Authors Association

Old September 12th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bush[_1_]

Always reply that your number of
takeoffs is the same as your number of landings.

Bush

Old September 12th 06, 06:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BTIZ

Am I being paranoid, or what?

Nope..

BT