Homing verses Tracking

Old September 20th 04, 07:18 PM
John Bell

Default Homing verses Tracking

I got interested in the effects of homing on a waypoint as opposed to
tracking. I have seen the illustrations and have understood the concept for
some time, but I have never seen any numbers. If you are interested here is
the results of my playing around with Excel:

http://www.cockpitgps.com/other_arti...rack_error.htm

John Bell
www.cockpitgps.com
www.smallboatgps.com

Old September 20th 04, 08:59 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message

Maybe the recent spate of posts about cross-posting has made me sensitive,
but since homing/tracking is an IFR exercise, why post anywhere other than
rec.aviation.ifr?

Homing/tracking is a navigational exercise, navigation is not limited to IFR
operations.

Old September 20th 04, 11:08 PM
Bob Gardner

Your thinking that a VFR pilot crabs to maintain a track over the ground, I
guess. Hard to imagine how the same pilot would home to the same end point.
Ican track a radial, a localizer, or a bearing, but of the three I can only
home to an NDB. Homing/tracking just brings NDB/ADF to my mind.

Bob

ink.net...

Old September 20th 04, 11:17 PM
Casey Wilson

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message

Maybe the recent spate of posts about cross-posting has made me

sensitive,
but since homing/tracking is an IFR exercise, why post anywhere other

than
rec.aviation.ifr?

Homing/tracking is a navigational exercise, navigation is not limited to

IFR
operations.

Oh Geez! I'm trapped into agreeing with Mr. McNicoll on an issue.
Tracking is just as important in VFR as IMC. It saves gas, and time between
waypoints.

Old September 21st 04, 12:00 AM
Peter Duniho

"Casey Wilson" wrote in message
Oh Geez! I'm trapped into agreeing with Mr. McNicoll on an issue.
Tracking is just as important in VFR as IMC. It saves gas, and time
between
waypoints.

That still begs the question as to why you posted to r.a.student and
sci.geo.satellite-nav.

I agree with Bob...you "over-cross-posted".

Remember, when it comes to posting on Usenet, less is more.

Old September 21st 04, 12:28 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message

Your thinking that a VFR pilot crabs to maintain a track over the ground,
I guess.

No, I was thinking ADF.

Hard to imagine how the same pilot would home to the same end point. Ican
track a radial, a localizer, or a bearing, but of the three I can only
home to an NDB. Homing/tracking just brings NDB/ADF to my mind.

Mine too. Why is that limited to IFR operations in your mind?

Old September 21st 04, 12:34 AM
Bob Gardner

Can't say that I never used VOR for VFR navigation but I can't recall ever
using the ADF for that purpose.

Old September 21st 04, 01:00 AM
Roy Smith

In article ,
"Bob Gardner" wrote:

Your thinking that a VFR pilot crabs to maintain a track over the ground, I
guess. Hard to imagine how the same pilot would home to the same end point.
Ican track a radial, a localizer, or a bearing, but of the three I can only
home to an NDB. Homing/tracking just brings NDB/ADF to my mind.

I guess GPS has brought technology full circle. You can home to a GPS
waypoint. Just do "direct" and make your heading match the bearing.

I do agree with you that you can't home to a localizer, and homing to a
VOR would require an RMI (an instrument which I've never had the
opportunity to fly behind).
Old September 21st 04, 01:03 AM
Roy Smith

"Bob Gardner" wrote:

Can't say that I never used VOR for VFR navigation but I can't recall ever
using the ADF for that purpose.

Why not? If the airport you're going to has an NDB on the field, it's
the obvious way to find it.

None of my club's planes have ADFs anymore, but when they did, I would
often tune in nearby NDB's depicted on sectionals while on VFR trips, to
confirm my pilotage.
Old September 21st 04, 01:22 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message

Can't say that I never used VOR for VFR navigation but I can't recall ever
using the ADF for that purpose.

It works just as well as it does under IFR. Some years ago a booklet
listing AM radio stations by frequency and location was available for just
that purpose. Some years earlier than that they were depicted on
sectionals.