"Full length"

Old March 5th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

Default "Full length"

What does it mean when a controller says "Cleared for landing full
length", or "cleared for takeoff full length"?

I've never heard this said until I started flying out of this airport
I'm based at now which has a 11,800 ft. runway. Does it mean he wants
me to land further down towards the middle of the runway?

In the past, I've always disregarded the phrase "full length" as quasi-
meaningless "supplemental" information (such as "#2 for landing").
I've made about 20 landings so far here, and 3 of them resulted in a
plane behind me having to do a go-around, so maybe there is something
more to it.

But then again, why would it even matter. I'm I'm still on the runway,
the controller can't clear anyone else for takeoff anyways until I
turn off the taxiway... Can someone shed some light on this?

Old March 5th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

buttman wrote:

But then again, why would it even matter. I'm I'm still on the runway,
the controller can't clear anyone else for takeoff anyways until I
turn off the taxiway... Can someone shed some light on this?

I've never heard it on landing, but on takeoff it's used when the
taxiway doesn't go all the way to the threshold so full length lets
you back taxi down to get the "full length."

The term I hear on landing is "roll to the end." This means you
can continue straight ahead on the runway (usually at a higher
rate of speed) rather than slowing down and turning off at the
first practicable taxiway.
Old March 5th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 5, 12:17 pm, "buttman" wrote:
What does it mean when a controller says "Cleared for landing full
length", or "cleared for takeoff full length"?

I've never heard this said until I started flying out of this airport
I'm based at now which has a 11,800 ft. runway. Does it mean he wants
me to land further down towards the middle of the runway?

In the past, I've always disregarded the phrase "full length" as quasi-
meaningless "supplemental" information (such as "#2 for landing").
I've made about 20 landings so far here, and 3 of them resulted in a
plane behind me having to do a go-around, so maybe there is something
more to it.

But then again, why would it even matter. I'm I'm still on the runway,
the controller can't clear anyone else for takeoff anyways until I
turn off the taxiway... Can someone shed some light on this?

Not sure about landing, but for departure, it
means there may be another aircraft waiting
for takeoff at an intersection. By stating "full
length", they put one more bit of redundant
information in there to reduce the chance
that the plane at the intersection mistakenly
thinks he's the one cleared to take off.

http://www.faa.gov/ATpubs/ATC/Chp3/atc0307.html

Search that page for "full length". Note that
the phrase is required if another aircraft
is waiting at an intersection; optional if there
are no other aircraft waiting.

Old March 5th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gene Seibel

On Mar 5, 2:17 pm, "buttman" wrote:
What does it mean when a controller says "Cleared for landing full
length", or "cleared for takeoff full length"?

I've never heard this said until I started flying out of this airport
I'm based at now which has a 11,800 ft. runway. Does it mean he wants
me to land further down towards the middle of the runway?

In the past, I've always disregarded the phrase "full length" as quasi-
meaningless "supplemental" information (such as "#2 for landing").
I've made about 20 landings so far here, and 3 of them resulted in a
plane behind me having to do a go-around, so maybe there is something
more to it.

But then again, why would it even matter. I'm I'm still on the runway,
the controller can't clear anyone else for takeoff anyways until I
turn off the taxiway... Can someone shed some light on this?

On landing I would take it to mean I didn't need to hold short of
crossing runways, for one thing.
--
Gene Seibel
Gene & Sue's Aeroplanes - http://pad39a.com/gene/planes.html

Old March 5th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JB

On Mar 5, 3:37 pm, "Gene Seibel" wrote:
On Mar 5, 2:17 pm, "buttman" wrote:

[...]

Because we fly, we envy no one.- Hide quoted text -

Gene has it right. When I've landed (occassionally) at big airports
with long runways for heavy metal, I've heard the "full length"
clearance. Use as much of the runway as needed. Its the opposite of
"after landing, hold short of runway xx".

--Jeff

Old March 5th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"buttman" wrote in message
ups.com...

What does it mean when a controller says "Cleared for landing full
length", or "cleared for takeoff full length"?

I've never heard this said until I started flying out of this airport
I'm based at now which has a 11,800 ft. runway. Does it mean he wants
me to land further down towards the middle of the runway?

In the past, I've always disregarded the phrase "full length" as quasi-
meaningless "supplemental" information (such as "#2 for landing").
I've made about 20 landings so far here, and 3 of them resulted in a
plane behind me having to do a go-around, so maybe there is something
more to it.

But then again, why would it even matter. I'm I'm still on the runway,
the controller can't clear anyone else for takeoff anyways until I
turn off the taxiway... Can someone shed some light on this?

"Runway two four full length position and hold", and "Runway two four full
length cleared for takeoff." are used when aircraft are departing from the
approach end and also from intersections. "Cleared for landing full length"
is nonstandard phraseology and only the issuing controller can tell you what
it means. My best guess is he means all of the runway is available to you,
which is also what "Cleared to land" means.

Old March 5th 07, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Gene Seibel" wrote in message
oups.com...

On landing I would take it to mean I didn't need to hold short of
crossing runways, for one thing.

How would that differ from, "Cleared to land"?

Old March 5th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gene Seibel

On Mar 5, 3:52 pm, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:
"Gene Seibel" wrote in message

oups.com...

On landing I would take it to mean I didn't need to hold short of
crossing runways, for one thing.

How would that differ from, "Cleared to land"?

Differs from land and hold short.

Old March 5th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

What Steve said. Also, you are wrong in thinking that the controller can't
clear anyone else for takeoff until you have turned off onto a taxiway. If
the airplane taking off is a similar type to yours (light single, for
example), all the controller needs befor issuing the takeoff clearance is
3000 feet of separation. Controller's discretion, of course.

Bob Gardner

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

ups.com...

Old March 5th 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brad[_1_]

On Mar 5, 3:17 pm, "buttman" wrote:

You had me up to this point...

I've made about 20 landings so far here, and 3 of them resulted in a
plane behind me having to do a go-around, so maybe there is something
more to it.

Ha! Nice trolling. Are all instructions from controllers are quasi-
meaningless "supplemental" information, didn'ja know?

Old polish aircraft TS-8 "Bies" ("Bogy") - for sale >pk Aviation Marketplace 0 October 16th 06 07:48 AM
"Airplane Drivers" and "Self Centered Idiots" Skylune Piloting 28 October 16th 06 05:40 AM