"Braking Action: Nil"

Old December 7th 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

Default "Braking Action: Nil"

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Poor instructor was startled by the yelling, but since it wasn't
screaming he adapted quickly and agreed it was quite a sight.

Yep, we few humans who have had the fortune of witnessing a moonrise
from altitude are, indeed, truly blessed.

In the summer I've seen the moon when it looked like a giant orange
orb, so big that you could reach out and grab a handfull of moon
dust. And in the winter I've seen it crisp and clean, with its more
sharply-defined features looking cold and brittle in the sub-zero
air.

It's one of the things I truly miss about night flying.

If any of these experiences are also marked with any increased growth in
facial hair, I wouldn't mention it on my next medical.

Old December 7th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Angelo Campanella[_2_]

Bob Noel wrote:
A moonrise over the ocean is real pretty.

It's hard these days to know when there is a full moon... One mnemonic
is that in the days preceeding Easter (e.g. after Palm Sunday), the moon
is full, since that is how it is defined by the Church. Someone else
here might know the exact defininition.

Angelo Campanella

Old December 7th 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Angelo Campanella wrote in
:

Bob Noel wrote:
A moonrise over the ocean is real pretty.

It's hard these days to know when there is a full moon... One
mnemonic
is that in the days preceeding Easter (e.g. after Palm Sunday), the
moon is full, since that is how it is defined by the Church. Someone
else here might know the exact defininition.

It's when it's fully illuminated, of course!

When the earth, sun and moon are aligned with the moon on the opposite side
of the earth to the sun. Depends on defintion, so technical, it;s only
momentary, but for pratical purposes it lasts several days.
The occur roughly every 29 and a half days, so find a recent one on your
calender and calculate from there.

The church has **** all to do with defining a full moon. Easter is the
first sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox,(Northern
hemisphere of course before some asshole lawyer stats in) but that won't
tell you when the full moon occured.The church ignores actaul astronomical
data and are working off a supposed full moon based on calculations done
centuries ago.
Close enough to look at it, but you wouldn't want to try and navigate off
it using what the church says.
..

Bertie
Old December 7th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/MoonPhase.php

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old December 7th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Jay Honeck wrote:
Poor instructor was startled by the yelling, but since it wasn't
screaming he adapted quickly and agreed it was quite a sight.

Yep, we few humans who have had the fortune of witnessing a moonrise
from altitude are, indeed, truly blessed.

In the summer I've seen the moon when it looked like a giant orange
orb, so big that you could reach out and grab a handfull of moon
dust. And in the winter I've seen it crisp and clean, with its more
sharply-defined features looking cold and brittle in the sub-zero
air.

It's one of the things I truly miss about night flying.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

I have had a several cold night time flight experiences. I'll comment on
one - very cold here in North Texas years ago and clear from ocean to
ocean (well at least where I was flying). I was flying about 50 miles
north of Dallas and you could see this orange blanket (street lights,
etc) on the horizon. Then there were these "string of pearls" coming out
of the sky going into the blanket of lights. It was the DFW traffic
landing to the north. Two parallel rows of landing lights of about 6
aircraft in each path. OK and the other one while I have the bandwidth
is a "city tour" over downtown Dallas from about 1700 AGL. What a sight.
ATC let me circle downtown.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old December 8th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

It's one of the things I truly miss about night flying.

Hi Jay. Are you no longer flying at night? If not, why not?

Oh, we'll fly at night if necessary, but it's a risk we chose long ago
to avoid if at all possible. I've only flown an hour or two at night
in the last five years.

The "aim for a dark spot" forced landing method isn't a good one to
contemplate when you've got kids counting on you. Once they're on
their own, we'll go back to night flying.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old December 8th 07, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jack Allison

Jay Honeck wrote:

In the summer I've seen the moon when it looked like a giant orange
orb, so big that you could reach out and grab a handfull of moon
dust. And in the winter I've seen it crisp and clean, with its more
sharply-defined features looking cold and brittle in the sub-zero
air.

It's one of the things I truly miss about night flying.

Got to experience some of this a week ago on a short night from
Vacaville to home. Took off and after leveling at 3500 ft, noticed the
full moon rising over the Sierra Nevada mountains. Very cool.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado

Old December 8th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Adams[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:

Oh, we'll fly at night if necessary, but it's a risk we chose long ago
to avoid if at all possible.

Yea, I know what you mean. It's very nice, with the smooth air and city lights, but it is a concern,
especially in areas of rough terrain like we have out West.

Mike