Sport Pilot ever going to happen?

Old March 28th 04, 08:57 PM
Dillon Pyron

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 22:35:19 GMT, wrote:

So does anybody know how long it will be retracted before it goes back
to the OMB? Also, will it go to the OMB where it left off or will
they get another 90 days?

Dennis.

"SadlerVampire18" wrote:

For those wishing to read the latest Sport Pilot Temporairy Proposal Retract
by the FAA, go to
http://www.eaa.org/communications/ea...040325_sp.html

Bart

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

Ask about L1's also. There are no limits on the numbers, and many
companies are bringing in totally unqualified people, having their
employees train them then letting the employees go and either using
the L1's or shipping them and the jobs "home".

No, I'm not bitter.
--
dillon

Life is always short, but only you can make it sweet
Old March 28th 04, 10:34 PM

You can do that in a car just as easily and effectively. Or a helium
ballon if being airborne is mandatory.

Dennis H.

"SadlerVampire18" wrote:

...Or a great way to deliver Bio-Chemical Warfare agents, Dirty
Bombs.....etc.

Old March 28th 04, 10:42 PM

Dillon Pyron wrote:

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

Ask about L1's also. There are no limits on the numbers, and many
companies are bringing in totally unqualified people, having their
employees train them then letting the employees go and either using
the L1's or shipping them and the jobs "home".

No, I'm not bitter.
--
dillon

Life is always short, but only you can make it sweet

Its kind of like an Indian guy walks into your office with a pink slip
while you are writing code and says "Here, the boss told me to give
this to you....He layed you off...Now before you leave, show me how to
work this thing."

I don't hate Indians, just the corporations and laws that make it
almost mandatory that they are brought here.

Dennis H.

Old March 29th 04, 12:46 AM
Veeduber

You can do that in a car just as easily and effectively. Or a helium
ballon if being airborne is mandatory.

Or a garbage truck. Or an airport shuttle-bus. (Neither of which is inspected
in the literal sense; both of which are allowed to drive right up to the
terminal. [One out front, the other out back.] )

Or with a home-made RPV. (Think 'model airplane.' Now think BIG model
airplane.)

Using GPS and a solid-state autopilot the delivery error is about +/- 50m. At
about $20k a copy, with a 200 pound payload, 700 nm range and an average
service life of two trips, it's the cheapest way to fly dope since SAT.

Or so they say.

With regard to terrorists, the use of RPV'S (or their precursors) been in the
Threat Book since about 1996 (ie, since the availability of off-the-shelf
miniturized GPS receivers & autopilots... if this is news to you, check with
the model airplane builders).

The fact a potential threat has been defined doesn't mean anyone has paid any
attention. The use of kamikaze airliners went into the book sometime in the
sixties (it was already there, had been discussed -- and ruled 'not credible'
-- by the early 1970's)

As a point of interest, the WTC towers were designed to withstand the impact of
a fully fueled 707 -- the 'maximum credible threat' (aviation-wise) at the time
they were DESIGNED. By the time they were built the 747 was flying but nothing
was done to upgrade their structure to withstand the impact of a fully fueled
wide-body.

Most of the new 'Homeland Defense' crowd are bean counters. They'll do a fine
job making sure WTC doesn't happen again. Unfortunately, because they ARE bean
counters, the odds are about even money they'll be unprepared for the next
attack.

-R.S. Hoover

Old March 29th 04, 01:15 AM
Richard Carlisle

I don't hate Indians, just the corporations and laws that make it
almost mandatory that they are brought here.

They are not on the top MY list of favorite people. Add me to the list of
unemployed software people....thanks to the Indians.

Ross

Old March 29th 04, 01:20 AM
Richard Carlisle

Did all this come about because of a tax break for businesses that moved
jobs off shore?

They government does make it attractive to outsource, but the real reason is
the bottom line. A company can hire an H1B for 1/3 of what they used to pay
us and they can outsource to India for even less.

Most of my friends in the software consulting business are either barely
making ends meet on a fraction of what they were making two years ago or
have made a career change....which is what I did.

Ross

Old March 29th 04, 04:48 AM
RobertR237

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

Ask about L1's also. There are no limits on the numbers, and many
companies are bringing in totally unqualified people, having their
employees train them then letting the employees go and either using
the L1's or shipping them and the jobs "home".

No, I'm not bitter.
--

Well, I sure as hell am!

dillon

Life is always short, but only you can make it sweet

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old March 29th 04, 05:22 AM
Dillon Pyron

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 21:46:51 GMT, Richard Lamb

Its kind of like an Indian guy walks into your office with a pink slip
while you are writing code and says "Here, the boss told me to give
this to you....He layed you off...Now before you leave, show me how to
work this thing."

I don't hate Indians, just the corporations and laws that make it
almost mandatory that they are brought here.

Dennis H.

Did all this come about because of a tax break for businesses that moved
jobs off shore?

Nope, it comes from paying programmers and other skilled workers the
equivalent of $6/hr with no benefits.

Old March 29th 04, 07:38 AM
D. Grunloh

Cloud_dancer wrote:

puddling around for an hour, etc. Personally, I refuse to fly in an
aircraft that weighs less than I do! :-)

Han gliders and PPG's are out then?

The FAA has looked the other
way, because generally speaking, it hasn't been an issue. And also
because the FAA's original target weight was 500 lbs, but they got talked
down to 254 by some vendors who wanted to capture the market by setting
the limit just above their build weights

I wonder if that is an urban myth started by critics of quicksilver. Sure
some
people asked for more, but almost the entire industry expected the
limit to be set to 220 lbs. There were planes designed to that limit
and displayed at Sun-N-Fun with that claimed weight. CGS Hawk
was one of them. Almost everybody was surprised when the
limit came out at 254 lbs I remember precisly the moment when I
first heard the news.

--Dan Grunloh

. If/When Sport Pilot goes
through, the indications are that they will start enforcing 254/5gal more
vigorously - which is going to be a problem for about 80 percent of the
fleet of currently flying aircraft. That's going to break a much larger
part of a system that has been working well for years. Where's the gain
that makes *that* worthwhile?

And if you buy a factory built aircraft, you can't do your own work
and repairs on it, so it has to go to an AP, again increasing costs to
the BFI, and thence to the student. Too high a cost is what has shrunk
the American flying public from about 800,000 at it's peak down to the
current 500,00 or so.

Hrm, I know you can take a course for 2 levels of maint for LSA, I dunno
about the differing requirements for trainers though.

From what I can see, a training airplane has to be serviced by an AP. $$$
And they probably don't know as much about servicing my Hawk as I do.
Hell, I'm not sure I can fly into our fancy county airport where the AP's
are based without getting insurance to make the county manager happy. I'd
have to find an AP who makes housecalls. That's not gonna be cheap. And
they may not want the liability of working on that class of unfamiliar
aircraft. What if I can't find an AP who will service my plane? Do the
new rules *compel* AP's to work on UL's? I doubt it.

It is my expectation (although I cannot back this expectation up with
any facts whatsoever)..., that the planned obsolesence of these trainers
may be overturned, either by the final rule or an amendment later on....

That's my hope also, but generally speaking, whenever the government
'helps' me, I lose. EIther money or rights, and usually both, I lose. So
I don't have high hopes.

Most of my focus in sport pilot is on the new class of license created,
rather than the restrictions on existing UL's that are imposed.

But then it's "I got mine" at the expense of all those other folks who
were here before you. Eye's on the prize, and the heck with who gets
trampled in the process? :-)

Again, I don't mind them creating a new class. I very much mind them
breaking the ones that already exist. There are a lot more UL and fat UL
pilots at risk than the number of new LSA's who will be created. Look at
the recreational pilot license - there's how many of those, a few
hundred? Worth breaking the UL system as it works now for say 2000-3000
new pilots who could achieve much of what they want now just flying under
a loosely enforced part 103? Not in my book.

For me,
I expect it will allow me to get a SP lic for "about" half the cost of a
PPL and fly pretty much the way I would use a PPL anyway.... For my
father, who bought a high doller plane, only to have a minor medical
event that cause him to have to quit flying less than 30 days later :-(
it's an opportunity to fly, period.

He could fly a UL, either part 103 legal or a 'fat' one. Many of the UL
pilots in the air today either got medical'd out, or priced out, of GA
and have moved to UL's in response. If it's a high dollar airplane, it's
probably something more complicated or heavier/faster than a champ or cub
class anyway, and won't be available to him under LSA privileges. If it's
not, then a UL will give him a similar performance envelope at much lower
cost. And with a lot less fuss.

I believe OMB's 90 days was yesterday.... of course we would have all
fallen over dead in surprise if they had acted within the deadline...

And isn't that just an eloquent comment on the quality of government and
it's systems. We don't even expect it to obey the rules any more, and
would be surprised if they did.

Kevin