Drunk pilots

Old December 11th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jay Honeck

Default Drunk pilots

It is CAVU here in Indiana today... how about Mississippi?

Bee-utiful in the Upper Midwest today. We flew to Janesville,
Wisconsin, to have lunch with Jim Burns, and hit 207 mph on the way up
-- and just 126 mph on the way back!

Windier than hell at altitude, but smooth as a baby's bottom above a
(relatively) low haze layer. It was a great day to fly!

(And NOW it's time for a coupla beers... ;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 11th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Christopher Campbell[_1_]

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 14:14:36 -0800, Dudley Henriques wrote
(in article ):

Hi Walt;

It's indeed a fairly little known fact outside the military aviation
community that we who flew the "smaller" though somewhat "faster" bits of
Plexiglas and aluminum learned all our REAL bad habits from you multi guys!!
-))))

Dudley

"Walt" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dudley Henriques wrote:
"A Lieberma" wrote in message
. 18...
Mxsmanic wrote in
:

If an aircraft is taxiing out from the ramp and controllers notice

PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLL.

This question is easily researchable and doesn't require real pilots
experiences.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Allen

Absolutely researchable. All you have to do is remember the fighter
pilot's
golden rule on drinking and flying.
"NEVER drink and fly!!! Pull off the taxiway as you're on the way out to
the
runway and drink, THEN go fly!!!"
-)))))))
Dudley Henriques

And, when I was flying KC135's, we rigidly adhered to the rule: "No
smoking 8 hours before flying, and no drinking closer than 80 feet from
the aircraft."

That rule made us better at the job we did. I think.

--Walt

Man, I used to hear rules like that all the time -- and I'm a Mormon!

At least no one has mentioned the deceased insect.

Old December 11th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Christopher Campbell[_1_]

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 14:14:36 -0800, Dudley Henriques wrote
(in article ):

Hi Walt;

It's indeed a fairly little known fact outside the military aviation
community that we who flew the "smaller" though somewhat "faster" bits of
Plexiglas and aluminum learned all our REAL bad habits from you multi guys!!
-))))

Dudley

"Walt" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dudley Henriques wrote:
"A Lieberma" wrote in message
. 18...
Mxsmanic wrote in
:

[...]

DEAD BUG!!! _"""_o

Old December 11th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Christopher Campbell[_1_]

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 17:48:32 -0800, Christopher Campbell wrote
(in article m):

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 14:14:36 -0800, Dudley Henriques wrote
(in article ):

Hi Walt;

It's indeed a fairly little known fact outside the military aviation
community that we who flew the "smaller" though somewhat "faster" bits of
Plexiglas and aluminum learned all our REAL bad habits from you multi guys!!
-))))

Dudley

"Walt" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dudley Henriques wrote:
"A Lieberma" wrote in message
. 18...
Mxsmanic wrote in
:

[...]

or maybe _xxx-o: :-)

Old December 11th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Macklin

Default OT Telscopes (was Drunk pilots)

It was several years ago, cold weather, snow on the ground.
There was a big fireball every few minutes, sometimes two or
three at once. Even the police, sheriff and troopers had
stopped to watch.

"A Lieberma" wrote in message
. 18...
| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in
| :
|
| I prefer the solid ground for night sky viewing.
|
| Fully understand this!
|
| I've got a
| place with no nearby light pollution, millions more
stars
| are visible. One clear night a few years ago, there was
| snow cover but no clouds at all, I was out driving by
the
| airport and wondered why they had the strobes running,
then
| I realized it was a meteor storm, the flashes were so
bright
| they were casting shadows on the snow and leaving smoke
| trails in the sky.
|
| Let me guess, the Leonids? One night flight home, saw a
"fireball".
| Scared the bejeebers outta me it was so bright. And like
you saw, smoke
| trail followed it. At first, thought it was a plane
blowing up, but
| having seen meteors before, I knew better just from the
speed, length and
| angle of the flash. More lights upstairs then downstairs
on most of my
| night flights :-))
|
| It was late at night, so I stayed out several hours
| watching. I made just one mistake, I told my wife about
it.
| She was tired and had to get up to go to her college
class.
| I thought she would not want to be disturbed. I told
her
| and she has never forgiven me.
|
| Yep, though different situation here, it was the Northern
lights. Woke
| my wife up at 2 a.m. and it was -15F, but she didn't
regret it! Would
| love to see that from 5000 feet!
|
| I was kinda hoping the sunspot causing the radiation
commotion would have
| kept up so it would kick up some northern lights, but that
simmered down.
| Wouuldn't have been good for the GPS network though I'd
suspect?

Old December 11th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Macklin

For the 4th of July, they should make a fireworks display
using the proper metals to get red, white and blue
fireballs,

"Wade Hasbrouck" wrote in
message
news6SdnZtZ5PFaAeHYnZ2dnUVZ_uKknZ2d@cablespeedwa .com...

| "A Lieberma" wrote in message
| . 18...
| "Jim Macklin"
wrote in
| :
|
| I prefer the solid ground for night sky viewing.
|
| Fully understand this!
|
| I've got a
| place with no nearby light pollution, millions more
stars
| are visible. One clear night a few years ago, there
was
| snow cover but no clouds at all, I was out driving by
the
| airport and wondered why they had the strobes running,
then
| I realized it was a meteor storm, the flashes were so
bright
| they were casting shadows on the snow and leaving smoke
| trails in the sky.
|
| Let me guess, the Leonids? One night flight home, saw a
"fireball".
| Scared the bejeebers outta me it was so bright. And
like you saw, smoke
| trail followed it. At first, thought it was a plane
blowing up, but
| having seen meteors before, I knew better just from the
speed, length and
| angle of the flash. More lights upstairs then
downstairs on most of my
| night flights :-))
|
| It was late at night, so I stayed out several hours
| watching. I made just one mistake, I told my wife
about it.
| She was tired and had to get up to go to her college
class.
| I thought she would not want to be disturbed. I told
her
| and she has never forgiven me.
|
| Yep, though different situation here, it was the
Northern lights. Woke
| my wife up at 2 a.m. and it was -15F, but she didn't
regret it! Would
| love to see that from 5000 feet!
|
| I was kinda hoping the sunspot causing the radiation
commotion would have
| kept up so it would kick up some northern lights, but
that simmered down.
| Wouuldn't have been good for the GPS network though I'd
suspect?

| Allen
|
| I have seen the Space Station go over from 5500' in a
Cessna 172. That
| was pretty neat, it looked different than on the ground,
as you had more
| hozion and it seemed you see it "arc" more as it went
across the sky. Saw
| it when me and my instructor did our night x-country from
Boeing Field to
| Port Angeles, Wa, and back. Saw it on the return leg.
:-) Unfortunately
| the 172 doesn't have a power setting that will keep up
with it. :-)

Old December 11th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Walt

That's interesting. I'm familiar with Ameriflight but don't know any of
the pilots.

I don't think the "City Fathers" have much to do with the radar that is
being installed at Gallatin Field. It's being pushed by "big money", if
you want to call it that. Lots of private jets fly into and out of
Gallatin Field.

I know the controllers at Gallatin Field; some personally, others
because I talk to'em when I fly. To say they are "the worst" is a bit
of a stretch. I could expound on this statement but I won't. I don't
see the reason why. There are some local controllers who are a pleasure
to work with and others who, well, aren't.

Pretty much like most towers, I guess.

If you fly out of BIL then we are, in Montana, neighbors. We'll have to
hook up some time.

--Walt

Newps wrote:
Walt wrote:

Ameriflight, which has a base here, runs a lot of cargo and go into BZN
every day. They say, bar none, the BZN controllers are the worst. The
city fathers are installing a radar there, should be up and ready to go
next spring/summer. We hope to be working it from here at BIL.
Otherwise Salt Lake Center will get it and you guys won't notice one
iotas difference.

Old December 11th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques

I remember one time in front of the President of the United States; somebody
hollered "Thunderbirds...dead ant!!!"
You wouldn't believe the United States Air Force Thunderbirds... to a
man...down on their butts...arms and legs in the air.
God, I miss the good ole days!!! :-))))
Dudley Henriques

"Christopher Campbell" wrote in message
e.com...
On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 14:14:36 -0800, Dudley Henriques wrote
(in article ):

Hi Walt;

It's indeed a fairly little known fact outside the military aviation
community that we who flew the "smaller" though somewhat "faster" bits of
Plexiglas and aluminum learned all our REAL bad habits from you multi
guys!!
-))))

Dudley

"Walt" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dudley Henriques wrote:
"A Lieberma" wrote in message
. 18...
Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Old December 11th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Newps

Walt wrote:

That's interesting. I'm familiar with Ameriflight but don't know any of
the pilots.

I don't think the "City Fathers" have much to do with the radar that is
being installed at Gallatin Field.

They have everything to do with it. BZN does not qualify for radar but
the airport authority said we'll pay for it. So you're getting one.
Now who ever pays for it it doesn't matter. What you need to make sure
of as a user is that an approach control runs your airspace, not Salt
Lake Center. If Salt Lake runs the airspace, as they do now, nothing
will change. It's one in or one out. If we here in Billings run it we
will be able to use approach control rules, much more efficient use of
the airspace for you folks. Tell everybody you run into.

I know the controllers at Gallatin Field; some personally, others
because I talk to'em when I fly. To say they are "the worst" is a bit
of a stretch.

I didn't say that but a regular user did. I've flown in there several
times and the stuff they do makes me shake my head. They are not very
good at controlling a pattern. A King Air comes over the mountains from
Livingston and you are landing to the west and the controllers make
every one follow the King Air. Terribly inefficient.

If you fly out of BIL then we are, in Montana, neighbors. We'll have to
hook up some time.

Stop by for a tour at the new tower and see what Conrad got us.
Otherwise head for the mountains and dirt strips and look for the V
Tail, that's me.

The SSA-OLC KM Soaring 65 October 4th 06 02:00 AM
The allure of the skies beckons wannabe pilots. N9NWO Piloting 0 March 8th 05 08:58 PM
Older Pilots and Safety Bob Johnson Soaring 5 May 21st 04 01:08 AM