Old Iowa City Sectionals on line!

Old December 15th 03, 06:52 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Old Iowa City Sectionals on line!

Thanks to Steven McNicoll, a regular newsgroup contributor, we've now got
old Iowa City Sectionals (going back to 1939!) available for download on our
"History of the Iowa City Airport" website.

These charts provide a fascinating glimpse into our past, and graphically
illustrate the evolution of our national airspace, from the light beacon
days, through the A-N radio ranges, up to the current VOR system.

Check 'em out at http://www.alexisparkinn.com/iowa_ci...nal_charts.htm
..
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 16th 03, 02:50 PM
Jay Honeck

have you noticed the move of the magnetic variation during the years as
shown on
the chart?

Nope, I hadn't noticed that -- interesting.

I DID notice that the CAA/FAA seemed to be changing radio frequencies with
amazing regularity, however. It's a wonder anyone could keep it straight.

Of course, little guys like us probably didn't have radios, anyway. So all
they had to do was tell the airlines what the new frequencies were, and they
were done.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 16th 03, 11:44 PM
Hobbes1157

Jay and Steve,

I've got to hand it you guys. I love the work you're doing with aviation
history in the state of Iowa. As an Iowa aviation history lover I'm delighted
to see the interesting things you've done.

Thanks,
Nolan W.

Old December 17th 03, 03:23 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Thanks to Steven McNicoll, a regular newsgroup contributor, we've now got
old Iowa City Sectionals (going back to 1939!) available for download on
our "History of the Iowa City Airport" website.

These charts provide a fascinating glimpse into our past, and graphically
illustrate the evolution of our national airspace, from the light beacon
days, through the A-N radio ranges, up to the current VOR system.

Check 'em out at

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/iowa_ci...nal_charts.htm

"1945 -- The magenta triangles depict the A/N radio ranges, emanating from
Moline and Des Moines."

The image shows just a portion of the magenta feather of the east leg from
the Des Moines Range, it's on the left side of the image. The north-south
feather to the east of Iowa City is from the Burlington Range.

"1948 -- The light beacons are no longer depicted on the chart"

The airway light beacons are still depicted on this chart.

"1953 - Iowa City's VOR first appears, and Des Moines' A/N radio range
disappears"

The magenta feathers defining the range legs were shortened on the
sectionals sometime between 1948 and 1953. The Des Moines Range was still
in operation in 1953 (and in 1960 as well), but the eastern leg fell short
of the scanned area.

Perhaps a bit of explanation about these charts is in order. No doubt a few
people have thought; "Des Moines Sectional? There is no Des Moines
Sectional, Des Moines is on the Omaha Sectional." Sectional charts
underwent a major overhaul circa 1968-1970. The old series sectionals
covered less than half the area of the new series because they were printed
on just one side. They were initially just blank on the back, then
aeronautical information was added to the back. The airport information
that today appears in the Airport/Facility Directory was on the back, as
well as general information that is now in the AIM. The old series charts
generally covered two degrees of latitude and six degrees of longitude, it
took 87 charts to cover the 48 contiguous states. The new series charts
generally cover four degrees of latitude and eight degrees of longitude, it
takes 37 charts to cover the contiguous US.

Old December 17th 03, 09:59 PM
Jay Honeck

Thanks for the clarifications, Steven. I'll try to make the corrections
ASAP.

And many thanks again for the scans!
--
Jay Honeck