FAA's Proposed ADS-B Requirement May Cost Aircraft Owners $9K. Comment Period Extended

Old November 30th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default FAA's Proposed ADS-B Requirement May Cost Aircraft Owners $9K. Comment Period Extended

ADS-B COMMENT PERIOD EXTENDED
(http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#196664)
The transition from radar to ADS-B is expected to take more than 13
years and may cost you, personally, close to $9,000. The FAA is now
giving you an extra 60 days to add your thoughts on its Notice of
Proposed Rule Making -- the comment deadline is now March 3.
Currently, some forecasts expect the transition to cost the average
aircraft owner about $9,000 in necessary equipment upgrades should
ADS-B compliance become mandatory, as planned by 2020. All aircraft
flying within Class B and C airspace and above 10,000 feet would need
to carry the equipment. On the whole, the FAA predicts that the
industry faces a projected investment of between $1.27 billion and
$7.46 billion.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2007/pdf/E7-22544.pdf
You may send comments identified by Docket Number FAA–
2007–29305 using any of the following
methods:
• Federal eRulemaking Portal: Go to
http://www.regulations.gov and follow
the instructions for sending your
comments electronically.

• Mail: Send comments to Docket
Operations, M–30, U.S. Department of
Transportation, 1200 New Jersey
Avenue, SE., West Building Ground
Floor, Room W12–140, Washington, DC
20590.

• Fax: Fax comments to Docket
Operations at 202–493–2251.

• Hand Delivery: Bring comments to
Docket Operations in Room W12–140 of
the West Building Ground Floor at 1200
New Jersey Avenue, SE., Washington,
DC, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday
through Friday, except Federal holidays.

Go he

http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspubli...uickSearch.jsp
and enter '29305' in the Docket ID box. Click the docket link, and
you will see all the comments. In the right hand Add Comments column
you will see yellow balloons. To add your comment, click the top
balloon. It's in the second row titled FAA-2007-29305-0002.

If the government's intent was to discourage public comment, they
probably could have made the procedure more arcane, but not by much.
:-)

Docket: FAA-2007-29305-0002
Title ADSB Out Performance Requirements to Support ATC
Type Rulemaking
Sub Type Airspace Rules
Sub Type Level 2
Disposition Pending
Action Office ARM - 100
Docket Subject Subject: Automatic Dependence Surveillance -
Broadcast (ADS-B)
Docket Parties
DMS Docket No.
RIN
Docket Close Date nulldate
Old November 30th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

The process is no more arcane than when we comment on other proposals; it is
not driven by the FAA.

Bob Gardner

Old November 30th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 14:22:50 -0800, "Bob Gardner"
wrote in :

The process is no more arcane than when we comment on other proposals; it is
not driven by the FAA.

Bob Gardner

I was referring to all the hoops one needs to thread on the new
http://www.regulations.gov docket comment web site. I knew how to
navigate the old one at http://dms.dot.gov/submit . But that site has
been deactivated since 12 noon on Friday, September 28, 2007.

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2...07/07-4709.htm
[Federal Register: September 24, 2007 (Volume 72, Number 184)]
[Notices]
[Page 54315-54317]
From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access
[wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr24se07-85]

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

Office of the Secretary

DOT's Migration to the Federal Docket Management Systems (FDMS)

AGENCY: Office of the Secretary (OST), DOT.

ACTION: Notice.

SUMMARY: This notice announces a service disruption to DOT's
Docket Management System (DMS), which contains the public dockets
for all DOT agencies (except for the Surface Transportation
Board), the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), and the
United States Coast Guard (USCG). (Subsequent references to
``DOT'' in this document also apply to TSA and USCG.) Effective
September 30, 2007, DOT's DMS will be replaced by the Federal
Docket Management System (FDMS), a government-wide, electronic
docket management system. Please note that in preparation for
migration, effective Thursday, September 27, 2007 at 5 p.m. DMS
will no longer accept electronic comments/submissions. DMS
will accept, as well as process, faxed and other paper documents
up until 12 noon on Friday, September 28, 2007. If falling due
during this transition, due dates for filings in rulemakings and
adjudications will be delayed until October 1, 2007, unless
otherwise advised by the originating office. On October 1, 2007
FDMS will begin accepting DOT-related electronic submission. At
that time, it will display all open DOT dockets. Between October 1
and October 31, the remaining DOT dockets still will be accessible
in DMS. By October 31, the full migration of all dockets currently
in DMS is expected to be completed. The change in systems will not
change any requirements in DOT regulations.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Renee V. Wright, Program Manager,
Docket Operations, Office of Information Services, 1200 New Jersey
Avenue, SE., Washington, DC 20590; telephone number: (202)
493-0402;
fax number (202) 493-2251; e-mail address: .

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION:

I. Background

FDMS is a major component of the President's e-Rulemaking
Initiative, which provides easy access to the ...
Old December 4th 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

Personally I can't believe the lack of interest in this on this
newsgroup. I have posted about it twice and included a link to my
detailed and very awesome response he

http://tinyurl.com/2wem8j

It may help the airlines (not proven to my satisfaction) and probably
will help the FAA cut operating costs. For the huges cost to a GA
pilot there is precious litle benefit. The only one of minimal import
is aiding in SAR and I don't intend to be a SAR customer.

Ron Lee
Old December 4th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Edwin Johnson

On 2007-12-04, Ron Lee wrote:
Personally I can't believe the lack of interest in this on this
newsgroup. I have posted about it twice and included a link to my

I've just read your treatise and find it interesting and well done, Ron.

One reason for lack of interest may be the fact it hasn't been reviewed in
too many aviation magazines as a major component yet. Some of the CFI
publications have spoken of it. Although AOPA has written about it, they are
very concerned, as should be, with the impending questions in congress
regarding user fees, brought up anew by an ill-directed administration.

I followed with some interest the CapStone project in Alaska and while at
OSH one year had a chance to speak with one of the FAA fellows about it. It
definitely has value in increasing safety of flying, whether GA or larger
commercial. But, like any set of statistics, they may be made to say just
about anything you wish and easy to jump to wrong conclusions. The Alaskan
environment is, indeed unique, and the flying even more so. Thus the data
doesn't necessarily, as you pointed out, apply elsewhere. Almost a shame
they included the 45% reduction in accident rates, which is a completely
meaningless figure in their argument.

Some of your points are valid. I think we have to realize that, like many
proposals, some politician jumps to the conclusion that we can reduce costs
by eliminating everything else, hence radar. The same scenerio with GPS.
Why, they were going to completely gid rid of VORs and Loran by now
....hmmmm. Of course now they see that eLoran may be the salvation of the GPS
system for backups and not too many of the VOR approaches have been
eliminated. Even left are NDB approaches, in places.

I agree that costs are too high for the average GA plane owner, especially
if the 'In' features are desired. I'm wondering if, by the time of
implementation of any of this, that prices will have gone down. Of course,
with our opportunistic capitalism in the states, it might not have gone down
too far.

So it's a very good and useful system, but with broad assumptions in the
proposal, and unrealistic requirements of GA for such. I, like you, would
recommend a reassessment of the requirements. Whether you like their
attitudes or not, if AOPA decides to really pounce on this, I would predict
the congressmen would get another viewpoint quickly.

....Edwin
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes
turned skyward, for there you have been, there you long to
return."-da Vinci http://bellsouthpwp2.net/e/d/edwinljohnson