A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Schweizer SGS 2-33 Fatal Accidents?

Old February 21st 17, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Schweizer SGS 2-33 Fatal Accidents?

I read some of this discussion and it is all excellent. There are lots of viewpoints and lots of considerations.

One thing that was not mentioned was the difference between flying with an instructor, in a two-seater, and flying alone... in a single seater.

There is a big difference. With the instructor on board there is someone with vastly more experience to correct any errors. There is also a more clear route and a more clear focus and a more clear safe focus.

The shift to flying solo is that this back-up encyclopedia of experience is gone and that is a huge factor... a huge difference.

"....revealed no fatal accidents in any Schweizer two seat models in the U.S. in
the last 15 years (although there were 18 fatals in Schweizer single
seaters)."

Old February 21st 17, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 6:09:06 AM UTC-8, wrote:

"....revealed no fatal accidents in any Schweizer two seat models in the U.S. in
seaters)."

I personally have helped pull a 2-32 off a mountain that was a fatal so I think you statement is wrong. BTW the glider was not at fault, don't fly into the cloud cap.
Old February 21st 17, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

When was this? The original thread is quite old, so the info back then may have been valid (back to 1982).
Old February 21st 17, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 5:09:06 PM UTC+3, wrote:
I read some of this discussion and it is all excellent. There are lots of viewpoints and lots of considerations.

One thing that was not mentioned was the difference between flying with an instructor, in a two-seater, and flying alone... in a single seater.

There is a big difference. With the instructor on board there is someone with vastly more experience to correct any errors. There is also a more clear route and a more clear focus and a more clear safe focus.

The shift to flying solo is that this back-up encyclopedia of experience is gone and that is a huge factor... a huge difference.

seaters)."

And today's prize for replying to a 20 year old thread....

TWENTY YEARS

We're getting old.

22 years now since I was posting Omarama Worlds scores to r.a.s via dial-up uucp, two minutes after I pinned the results to the notice board, and two minutes before I had beer in hand ... thank goodness we used GPS scoring and I missed the all-nighters developing and examining turn point photos. If I recall, we sometimes had the scores out 20 minutes after the last glider landed.
Old February 22nd 17, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 9:27:35 AM UTC-8, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 5:09:06 PM UTC+3, wrote:

seaters)."

And today's prize for replying to a 20 year old thread....

TWENTY YEARS

We're getting old.

22 years now since I was posting Omarama Worlds scores to r.a.s via dial-up uucp, two minutes after I pinned the results to the notice board, and two minutes before I had beer in hand ... thank goodness we used GPS scoring and I missed the all-nighters developing and examining turn point photos. If I recall, we sometimes had the scores out 20 minutes after the last glider landed.

I cant help but wonder about the wisdom of replying to such an old thread with such a disturbing subject. But then I just did the same...
Anyway, just wanted to point out that this brought unnecessary sickening feeling...

Ramy