Reachable landing sites in iGlide

Old February 25th 17, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Reachable landing sites in iGlide

Okay thanks, I don't race (yet?). I upgraded to Advance to get some better wind data. It does work but takes several circles to get it going, maybe the GPS signal quality varies allot, (with the banking) etc.
I may go with the Air Connect Wifi device to plug in my C302 data? That way I could move the bad elf pro gps out of my way. Also, I could mount an older 5S iphone where the PNA used to sit. The 6+ is awesome but, but last year I smashed a screen while while setting up my glider. No big deal, $150 and it's good as new.
Old February 25th 17, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 10:32:56 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Okay thanks, I don't race (yet?). I upgraded to Advance to get some better wind data. It does work but takes several circles to get it going, maybe the GPS signal quality varies allot, (with the banking) etc.
I may go with the Air Connect Wifi device to plug in my C302 data? That way I could move the bad elf pro gps out of my way. Also, I could mount an older 5S iphone where the PNA used to sit. The 6+ is awesome but, but last year I smashed a screen while while setting up my glider. No big deal, $150 and it's good as new.

Using an iPhone 6+ alone, I have not seen any problem with GPS quality. The HDOP appears to be about as good as the on-board dedicated GPS engines. Have you tried loosing the Bad Elf and just using the internal GPS? You would have to ask Air if they support the C302 data stream. I know their serial interface for the Vario supports both LX and CAI formats. But - I don't think you will get much better information out of iGlide with it connected to the CAI (though I have never tried that). The reason it works better connected to an Air Vario is that instrument calculates wind inertially many times per second.
Old February 26th 17, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 4:33:55 PM UTC-5, jfitch wrote:
[...]

I don't think the Bad Elf is necessary but find in at least 50' more accurate.

iGlide Ben S Soaring 31 February 16th 20 04:14 AM
iGlide runner4065 Soaring 19 March 28th 16 11:12 PM
Iglide chris johnson Soaring 2 August 1st 15 03:22 PM
iGlide Mike Rinaldi Soaring 4 April 28th 15 12:48 AM
iglide [email protected] Soaring 1 June 2nd 13 05:07 PM