Airspeed of military planes

Old January 24th 04, 02:59 AM
Tetsuji Rai

Default Airspeed of military planes

Airspeed limitation below 10000ft is usually 250kts unless you have been
authorized by the Administrator. However I guess it's a bit slow for
military fighters. So I am curious how fast military fighters fly in the
real world. I guess it's very dangerous military aircraft fly much fast
among civilian planes.

Old January 24th 04, 03:19 AM
John R Weiss

"Tetsuji Rai" wrote...
Airspeed limitation below 10000ft is usually 250kts unless you have been
authorized by the Administrator. However I guess it's a bit slow for
military fighters. So I am curious how fast military fighters fly in the
real world. I guess it's very dangerous military aircraft fly much fast
among civilian planes.

Many of them fly 250 knots below 10,000'. Some are authorized to fly as fast as
300.

A heavy 747 climbs out at 282 knots...

Old January 24th 04, 03:35 AM
Casey Wilson

"Tetsuji Rai" wrote in message
s.com...
Airspeed limitation below 10000ft is usually 250kts unless you have been
authorized by the Administrator. However I guess it's a bit slow for
military fighters. So I am curious how fast military fighters fly in the
real world. I guess it's very dangerous military aircraft fly much fast
among civilian planes.

If they are in Special Use Airspace and Military Operating Areas, they can
go as fast as they want -- well, as fast as the mission test plan calls for.
An F-14 Tomcat at Mach 1+, 200 Ft AGL, and 1/2 mile away in a 60 degree
bank with full burner is a visceral thing.

Old January 24th 04, 03:42 AM
Tetsuji Rai

Thank you! It straightened things out. I was wondering this in a flight
sim.

"Tetsuji Rai" wrote...

Old January 24th 04, 04:30 AM
John R Weiss

"Casey Wilson" wrote...

If they are in Special Use Airspace and Military Operating Areas, they can
go as fast as they want -- well, as fast as the mission test plan calls for.

Not quite...

Supersonic flight is additionally restricted to designated Supersonic corridors
for non-emergency ops.

Old January 24th 04, 05:41 AM
BTIZ

"it depends"..

When I was flying the B-1, we would accelerate to 360 knots on climb out..
Coming back down into traffic pattern it was 300knts below 10K
Our flap / gear speed is 240knt (the buzzer comes on below 240knts if the
flaps are not out)

But for low level in IR training routes, we planned 540knt, 500-1500ft AGL
Those IR routes are not in MOA or restricted airspace, but can be, and they
are on the VFR charts for a reason.

BT

Old January 24th 04, 06:53 AM
Glenn Westfall

I'm an Air Force Air Traffic Controller and am currently working in
Okinawa, Japan. We have F-15's here at Kadena and it is not uncommon
for them to come back well above 400 Kts below 10,000. We usually
only worry about slowing them down if they are being sequenced to
follow another aircraft. Close to final, they will usually slow
themselves to 250 Kts or slower unless told otherwise.

Glenn

Old January 24th 04, 06:58 AM
S. Sampson

"Glenn Westfall" wrote
I'm an Air Force Air Traffic Controller and am currently working in
Okinawa, Japan. We have F-15's here at Kadena and it is not uncommon
for them to come back well above 400 Kts below 10,000. We usually
only worry about slowing them down if they are being sequenced to
follow another aircraft. Close to final, they will usually slow
themselves to 250 Kts or slower unless told otherwise.

I've heard that F-15's and Mig-29's are pigs below 400 knots :-)
The AOA is probably in the teens by 250 knots...

Old January 24th 04, 07:51 AM
Nathan Young

Hi there BT.

A couple questions if you'll indulge us.

At 540 kts and 1000AGL, I'd be damn worried about hitting a GA spam
can. I know the training routes are on the charts, but a lot of GA
pilots don't pay attention to those.

I assume most aircraft have a military version of TCAD/TCAS? Does
this give suficient heads up to keep separation from the slow moving
GA traffic?

Thanks,
Nathan

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 20:41:45 -0800, "BTIZ"
wrote:

"it depends"..

When I was flying the B-1, we would accelerate to 360 knots on climb out..
Coming back down into traffic pattern it was 300knts below 10K
Our flap / gear speed is 240knt (the buzzer comes on below 240knts if the
flaps are not out)

But for low level in IR training routes, we planned 540knt, 500-1500ft AGL
Those IR routes are not in MOA or restricted airspace, but can be, and they
are on the VFR charts for a reason.

BT

ws.com...

Old January 24th 04, 02:21 PM
Cub Driver

Close to final, they will usually slow
themselves to 250 Kts or slower unless told otherwise.

I hope one of those suckers never gets behind Zero Six Hotel in the
pattern!

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Updated List of Military Information-Exchange Forums Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 November 29th 04 03:16 AM
22 Aug 2004 - Today’s Military, Veteran, War and National Security News Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 August 24th 04 06:47 AM
22 Aug 2004 - Today’s Military, Veteran, War and National Security News Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 August 24th 04 06:46 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 05:26 PM
12 Dec 2003 - Today’s Military, Veteran, War and National Security News Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 December 13th 03 12:01 AM