Reachable landing sites in iGlide

Old February 5th 17, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Reachable landing sites in iGlide

Does iGlide show the reachable landing sites in the current McCready setting ?
Oudie changes landing sites color to Green for reachable sites.
In any case, how important is this feature ?
Dan
Old February 5th 17, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

It's a very nice feature to have. It shows at a glance which sites can
be reached at an altitude you've specified during your setup of the program.

I have no experience with iGlide, but with XCSoar there is displayed
(user selectable) a "glide amoeba" which outlines the area the glider
can reach given the current polar, weight, altitude, wind, terrain,
etc. Airfields are also colored green within the outline. With
ClearNav, there is a double concentric "glide amoeba". The outer one
shows the point where the glider will land under the above conditions,
and the inner one shows where the glider will be at a user selectable
altitude.

Check your user manual/help files for how to set it up on your device.

Dan

--
Dan, 5J
Old February 5th 17, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 6:22:07 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Does iGlide show the reachable landing sites in the current McCready setting ?
Oudie changes landing sites color to Green for reachable sites.
In any case, how important is this feature ?
Dan

Yes it does. If set up properly, makeable fields are green, marginal yellow, and unmakeable are red. The arrival altitude will be shown for each. A red dot will be drawn where you will impact intervening terrain. I like the feature, and find it more useful than the amoeba - it does not shade the terrain map, and the arrival altitude puts considerable color on the information.
Old February 6th 17, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

Go to know. I will have to try that setting. I've just been using the circle that shows what
is reachable.
Old February 6th 17, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

Isn't that only in final glide that yellow, red, green shows up? Otherwise area within the flight alt circle are reachable.
Old February 6th 17, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

The amoeba does not shade the terrain map unless you specifically set it
up to do that, and why would you? XCSoar prints a large orange X on the
map where you will land. All of these programs are pretty much the same
and can be configured as the user likes.

Old February 6th 17, 07:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 4:43:05 PM UTC-8, Casey wrote:
Isn't that only in final glide that yellow, red, green shows up? Otherwise area within the flight alt circle are reachable.

If iGlide is properly configured, it will show the colors and altitudes for every landing site. The zoom level at which they appear, and the format that in which they appear at different zoom levels is configurable. If you have no airport database (or have airports turned off in the database) and no turnpoint database loaded (with appropriate TPs marked as landing sites) then I suppose nothing would show up. I am using the pro version, but as I remember even the basic has this capability.

Yes, these programs pretty much all do the same things, it is how they do it that makes the difference.
Old February 6th 17, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 9:22:07 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Does iGlide show the reachable landing sites in the current McCready setting ?
Oudie changes landing sites color to Green for reachable sites.
In any case, how important is this feature ?
Dan

Thanks To all.
I am switching my Oudie 2 to iglide. Looks much simpler to operate.
Dan
Old February 6th 17, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Monday, February 6, 2017 at 12:46:18 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 9:22:07 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Does iGlide show the reachable landing sites in the current McCready setting ?
Oudie changes landing sites color to Green for reachable sites.
In any case, how important is this feature ?
Dan

Thanks To all.
I am switching my Oudie 2 to iglide. Looks much simpler to operate.
Dan

If you are going with iGlide, be aware that many of the configurable features are hidden in the xml files of the app. They are easily editable, but iGlide has no published documentation for them. Also, to get routes, you need the Adv version, and to get configurable turn points for racing, you need the pro version. If you need assistance email me and I will try to help.

In my opinion (remember, everyone has one...) iGlide is far easier to use than SYM - or any of the others. I own and have flown extensively with XCSoar, SYM, and Winpilot, often 2 at a time.
Old February 7th 17, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

If you are going with iGlide, be aware that many of the configurable features are hidden in the xml files of the app. They are easily editable, but iGlide has no published documentation for them. Also, to get routes, you need the Adv version, and to get configurable turn points for racing, you need the pro version. If you need assistance email me and I will try to help.

In my opinion (remember, everyone has one...) iGlide is far easier to use than SYM - or any of the others. I own and have flown extensively with XCSoar, SYM, and Winpilot, often 2 at a time.

I like iGlide but I keep having to reinstall "Aeronautical Data", "Map Data", "Flight Parameters", and "Flight Recorder" information. Airglide said its because I do not have enough memory remaining on phone, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

iGlide Ben S Soaring 31 February 16th 20 04:14 AM
iGlide runner4065 Soaring 19 March 28th 16 11:12 PM
Iglide chris johnson Soaring 2 August 1st 15 03:22 PM
iGlide Mike Rinaldi Soaring 4 April 28th 15 12:48 AM
iglide [email protected] Soaring 1 June 2nd 13 05:07 PM