Proposal to Airport for Soaring Club

Old February 22nd 17, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Proposal to Airport for Soaring Club

The crossed runways are a challenge at times. Usually the gliders stop and exit their runway before the intersection but many private gliders will roll thru the intersection to get to their tie-downs. As long as everyone is on the radio and talking it works fine.
Old February 22nd 17, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Yup, it always worked fine for me and, on exceptionally windy days,
there's the closed runway which crosses the other two. I've really
enjoyed flying there on two trips.

--
Dan, 5J
Old February 23rd 17, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 11:38:30 AM UTC-7, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 12:05:27 PM UTC-7, S9 wrote:
Hello all,
We have a municipal airport wanting our club to relocate to their airport. It is a good location and has both a paved runway and an excellent 150' wide grass runway. This location could be a good contest site and closer to the city than our current location. The club is considering making a proposal to the airport board about what the club would need to re-locate. In the meantime we are going to have a couple of weekends at this airport to try it out. BTW the board said they would build hangar and would support contests.

SO, what would you suggest we request in the proposal. Thank you for your comments.

S9

Steve,

I've made a suggestion by PM.

Oklahoma Soaring Association has a nice home at Hinton Airport, 48 movement/week, hangar rentals, easy staging, nice lounge, etc. Distance from Oklahoma City is a factor. 100LL for sale.

El Reno Regional Airport is half the distance from Oklahoma City. The airport is a different class and category than Hinton. 100LL/JetA. Looking at Google Earth, it appears the turf runway is not adjacent to the hard surface, but about 350 years west. It's covered with 1500lb bales in Google Earth. Mowing and grass height should be discussed for sure. Minnesota Glider Club has a mowing issue and use of soft surfaces at Osceola, WI. Could be an extended cost if the hay and baling revenue is foregone for use of the runway. That's far enough for concurrent operations with the hard surface. I'm presuming that's the case because it's listed as a separate runway in AirNav. If it's the turf adjacent to the hard surface, that's one runway and no concurrent operations. It appears to be just wide enough to stage on the far side as you will need 250ft clearance from the runway centerline. This airport is under the same ADO as Midway-Midlothian in Texas. You might want to discuss with Carole Walker at Big Q Aviation who cannot stage on the soft surface because a drainage ditch is at the 250ft mark. The city airport board was willing to waive the distance but the ADO said no way. The turf runway that about 1000ft west appears to be just a tick over 200ft wide, so should work well. The logistics of moving from the hangars to that area just mean your group would have to show up much earlier than you normally do and stay later. Would make a very good winch site. Too bad that got sold.

Jets probably won't fly a pattern but will call about 15 miles out. I suspect there are several governmental flights weekly regarding FCI El Reno.

Is the airport manager on a career climbing track? If OSA is being recruited, who else is being recruited? How busy will this airport get? Tower being discussed? Will the next manager be your friend? Regional airports often have towers and class D.

Just my $.02,

Frank Whiteley

I find Google Earth a very useful tool. El Reno Regional Airport (the proposed destination) has a very interesting layout. The grass runway is about 1000ft west of the hard surface runway and is listed as a separate runway. Several of our clubs operate from airports where the hard and soft surfaces abut each other. In those cases there are no concurrent operations. This airport would allow concurrent operations, so the 68/day movements is not as big of a factor as it might seem. The verge of the main runway appears to be 300ft wide, so the 250ft centerline clearance needed for this class and category airport is feasible if the verge were perhaps used for glider landings (say if a contest were staged there). The 200ft width of the soft surface is a tad narrow for staging and land backs during a launch cycle in my opinion. Of course if there really are 68/movements/day, closing the runway for a contest is probably iffy. This airport serves FCI El Reno and I suspect there are a number of US Marshall flights transiting the airport. Staging for normal club ops would mean starting earlier and moving the gliders 1/4 mile or more before operating. The airport manager is a big holder of airport structures, and it not on the career ladder apparently, so it's doubtful there are immediate cries for DHS fences or a control tower. Still I would have a comprehensive look at all board minutes, projects, and requests for money from local, state, and federal sources. I had a chat with S9 yesterday. They will probably operate there a couple of times. Perhaps it could be a contest site, where their home plate is probably not well suited for that type of event. Google Earth seems to show 1500lb round bales on the grass runway. Use might be seasonable, unless someone wants to make full time use of it.

I don't think jets fly patterns, they just announce several miles out. At least that's what I here. This airport is under the same ADO as Midway-Midlothian where Big Q Aviation was not permitted to stage on the soft surface because there was a drainage ditch at the 250ft clearance. Thus they had to stage from the hold line. The local airport board was willing to waive the distance but the ADO said no way. At the time, there were unfunded plans to bury a drainage line and fill in the ditch, giving room for staging on the soft surface.

Frank Whiteley

Hemet Airport: FAA Ruling Supports Soaring Right of Airport Access HoUdino Soaring 21 February 20th 11 02:44 AM
DFW Airport, American Airlines opposing new strip club Capt. Otto Pielutt Piloting 4 January 12th 11 07:49 PM
soaring club reporter arturo Soaring 2 June 30th 07 01:15 PM
Soaring Club in Naples FL? Mike Schumann Soaring 5 September 13th 04 11:01 PM
All Soaring Club Members Slick Soaring 2 August 10th 04 09:03 AM