Moving to Canada -- Converting License

Old January 4th 05, 07:09 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Robert M. Gary" said:
state rate. So the super Dr's end up coming to the U.S. for millions
(Neurosurgeons, etc) while the marginal Dr's stay in Canada. He also
said that some surgeries have such a long waiting list that weathy
Canadians simply pay cash for their surgery in the U.S.

Both of those are overgeneralizations. The doctor who worked on my dad's
heart attack in Toronto has been featured on the PBS program "Nova"
because of his innovations in heart surgery.

Whereas I, as a victim of US health care, have been turned away from
treatments prescribed by my doctor because the insurance companies won't
pay. The local pain clinic closed down because the insurance companies
had denied coverage so often. Oh, and I made an appointment for a
neurologist in October. It took some work because none of the
neurologists in a 75 mile radius are taking new patients, but my doctor
knows one and phoned her up to beg her to take me. Guess when I get to
see her? March 29th. I could move back to Canada, get back on OHIP, and
see my dad's neurologist in that length of time.

Which country is it that supposedly has health care rationing again?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
What is a committee? A group of the unwilling, picked from the unfit, to
Old January 4th 05, 07:12 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Robert M. Gary" said:
get an instrument rating in Canada. What is really different? I've
flown IFR in Canada under my U.S. ticket and just found that the
airline guys get priority. You sit there for your release as dozens of
airliners get released in front of you.

I've never had that happen in Ottawa, but at London Ontario I sat for
15-20 minutes in line at a runway intersection while two Dash 8s came in
and a King Air departed from the end of the runway. But I think in that
case it was because the first guy in line at the intersection was a very
slow sport aircraft and the controller was trying to open up a big gap in
the traffic for him. If I'd known, I would have claimed that I was
heavily loaded and needed the full length.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
One could teach a child to Google but one _still_ should
Old January 4th 05, 09:32 PM
Jay Somerset

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 06:28:43 GMT, tony roberts wrote:

Hi Jay
I had quite a detailed response for you and my computer crashed - so
here is the short version.

You cannot get the answers to the Canadian Written - you HAVE to know
your material.
But - there is a great site that offers free exams, based on the
transport canada ones. If you pass these, you will probably pass the
real one. It is totally free - here it is:

http://www.aerotraining.com/

and click on "test yourself"

HTH

Tony

Thanks.
Old January 5th 05, 01:57 AM
Andrew Sarangan

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in news:1104862994.803990.85130
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

He also said that since Canada pays the medical expenses, it
must also control the costs. As a result Dr's end up getting paid a
state rate. So the super Dr's end up coming to the U.S. for millions
(Neurosurgeons, etc) while the marginal Dr's stay in Canada.

And you don't think medical rates in the US is set by the insurance
companies?

Old January 5th 05, 02:38 AM
Rob Montgomery

The difference is that, in Canada, there's only one government playing the
medical game (per province) whereas in the U.S., a doctor doesn't have to
honor the "low ball" insurance.

-Rob

1...

Old January 5th 05, 02:21 PM
Robert M. Gary

Companies plural, yes. In Canada gov't singular.

Old January 5th 05, 02:23 PM
Robert M. Gary

That's true. My Dr only takes certain HMOs. My wife's Dr doesn't take
HMOs at all, just PPOs. They do get to pick and choose. How much
business do you want, what you are willing to do it for? Just like a
CFI. If I wanted to fly as a CFI 8 hours a day, I could easily do it at
say $30/hr. By charging $50/hr I reduce the demand to a managable
level.

-Robert

Old January 5th 05, 04:52 PM
Matt Barrow

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

Which country is it that supposedly has health care rationing again?

And the one lady I knew who moved to Canada to get free medical care for her
daughter, lost her daughter while awaiting treatment.

How about you pay your own bills and learn the definition of "rationing".
--
Matt
---------------------

Old January 5th 05, 05:00 PM
Chris Colohan

"Rob Montgomery" writes:
The difference is that, in Canada, there's only one government playing the
medical game (per province) whereas in the U.S., a doctor doesn't have to
honor the "low ball" insurance.

The plus side: since doctors in Canada have to deal with only one
insurer, there is _significantly_ less administrative overhead
involved in treating patients. Many doctors who move to Canada do so
because they are tired of paperwork and would much rather spend more
time treating patients. Some doctors are more than willing to trade a
slightly lower salary for this quality of life increase.

Chris
--
Chris Colohan Email: PGP: finger
Web:
Old January 5th 05, 05:27 PM
Matt Barrow

"Chris Colohan" wrote in message
.. .
"Rob Montgomery" writes:
The difference is that, in Canada, there's only one government playing

the
medical game (per province) whereas in the U.S., a doctor doesn't have

honor the "low ball" insurance.

The plus side: since doctors in Canada have to deal with only one
insurer, there is _significantly_ less administrative overhead
involved in treating patients.

The amount of paperwork says much the same regardless of the number of
providers. Doctors have to compile the same records and it makes not a whit
who the payor is.

Many doctors who move to Canada do so
because they are tired of paperwork and would much rather spend more
time treating patients.

Unless the doctors are also performing office functions, that statement is
bogus. As mentioned, they have the same amount of documentation to create in
any case, unless they don't document their work. That's highly
unprofessional.

Some doctors are more than willing to trade a
slightly lower salary for this quality of life increase.

In that case all they have to do is not accept ANY insurance carriers and
they can do that right here, right now. AAMOF, some already DO just that.

--
Matt

how illegal am I? Cub Driver Piloting 75 November 12th 04 07:51 PM
Trip Report - Canada (long) Andrew Sarangan Piloting 8 August 26th 04 03:34 AM
Could Canada Build Charles Talleyrand Military Aviation 22 July 11th 04 10:05 PM
French block airlift of British troops to Basra Michael Petukhov Military Aviation 202 October 24th 03 06:48 PM
Reflections on first trip to Canada from US Mike & Janet Larke Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 9th 03 12:57 AM