Flamed

Old August 21st 10, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Flamed

Not what you think;^)

Someone once described to me how quickly a 2-33 burned as he pulled it
out of a grass fire. This 'crash' was in the online media, but one
significant item was left out of the article. Read on.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...01X51612&key=1
Old August 21st 10, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Aug 21, 7:46*am, Frank Whiteley wrote:
Not what you think;^)

Someone once described to me how quickly a 2-33 burned as he pulled it
out of a grass fire. *This 'crash' was in the online media, but one
significant item was left out of the article. *Read *on.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...01X51612&key=1

Actually, the fire did get mention in a local TV report. The other
article is no longer available on the web.
Old August 21st 10, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgans[_2_]

"Frank Whiteley" wrote in message
Not what you think;^)

Someone once described to me how quickly a 2-33 burned as he pulled it
out of a grass fire. This 'crash' was in the online media, but one
significant item was left out of the article. Read on.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...01X51612&key=1

I can believe it. Those batteries are capable of heating a wire quite
impressively.

The problem must have laid in the fact that there was not a proper inline
fuse. I have a couple of these batteries, and on the hot terminal, about 2
inches of wire, then a 15 amp fuse. You have to protect against shorts, or
sooner or later, one will happen.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 21st 10, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Aug 21, 10:37*am, "Morgans" wrote:
"Frank Whiteley" wrote in message

Not what you think;^)

Someone once described to me how quickly a 2-33 burned as he pulled it
out of a grass fire. *This 'crash' was in the online media, but one
significant item was left out of the article. *Read *on.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...01X51612&key=1

I can believe it. *Those batteries are capable of heating a wire quite
impressively.

The problem must have laid in the fact that there was not a proper inline
fuse. *I have a couple of these batteries, and on the hot terminal, about 2
inches of wire, then a 15 amp fuse. *You have to protect against shorts, or
sooner or later, one will happen.
--
Jim in NC

If the actual terminals of the battery aren't well
protected, you can get a short before the fuse.
Seen it happen...

Careful out there, this electricity is dangerous stuff.

See ya, Dave
Old August 21st 10, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgans[_2_]

"Dave Nadler" wrote

If the actual terminals of the battery aren't well
protected, you can get a short before the fuse.
Seen it happen...

Careful out there, this electricity is dangerous stuff.

See ya, Dave

Yep, I built a small wooden box with a handle and cigarette lighter outlet
on it for use with odd things. About impossible for anything to get to the
terminals. Plus I use the cigarette lighter outlet for charging.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 24th 10, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Aug 21, 10:52*am, "Morgans" wrote:
"Dave Nadler" wrote

If the actual terminals of the battery aren't well
protected, you can get a short before the fuse.
Seen it happen...

Careful out there, this electricity is dangerous stuff.

See ya, Dave

Yep, I built a small wooden box with a handle and cigarette lighter outlet
on it for use with odd things. *About impossible for anything to get to the
terminals. *Plus I use the cigarette lighter outlet for charging.
--
Jim in NC

Thanks Frank for pointing this incident. Being aware of this potential
risk may save someones life. Every pilot should make sure their glider
battery is well insulated and has an inline fuse. A fuse box on the
panel is not sufficient! A similar incident consumed a whole glider
and trailer some 10 years ago due to a short while trailering the
glider. It is amazing how many things can go wrong which can kill the
pilot or destroy the glider. In 13 years of soaring I think I heard
about every possible way to kill yourself or destroy the glider, from
improper setup, obstructed controls to oxygen fire and many more. Just
about anything that can go wrong, did go wrong and killed or almost
killed someone. The more you know the more you can protect yourself.
Thanks to RAS I know more than I could ever learn otherwise.

Ramy
Old August 24th 10, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

would the RAS brain trust recommend hot glue over each terminal to
prevent shorting out as well as being a bit of strain relief for the
wire coming off the connection? I also need to build a box for the
battery in the Cherokee...Thanks for this post Frank I hadn't ever
given this subject much thought. I'm afraid of fire.
Old August 24th 10, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

On Aug 21, 7:46*am, Frank Whiteley wrote:
Not what you think;^)

Someone once described to me how quickly a 2-33 burned as he pulled it
out of a grass fire. *This 'crash' was in the online media, but one
significant item was left out of the article. *Read *on.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...01X51612&key=1

I am aware of the 2-33/grass fire incident you are talking about.
The description to me was from the time the fire started at the tail
of the plane he had enough time to open the canopy remove a seat
cushion and get away from the airplane. It burned very fast.

I lost a good winter vario in the glider.

Brian
Old August 24th 10, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Aug 24, 3:47*pm, Tony wrote:
would the RAS brain trust recommend hot glue over each terminal to
prevent shorting out as well as being a bit of strain relief for the
wire coming off the connection? *I also need to build a box for the
battery in the Cherokee...Thanks for this post Frank I hadn't ever
given this subject much thought. I'm afraid of fire.

Heat shrinkable tubing would be preferred.

-T8
Old August 24th 10, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgans[_2_]

"Tony" wrote in message
would the RAS brain trust recommend hot glue over each terminal to
prevent shorting out as well as being a bit of strain relief for the
wire coming off the connection? I also need to build a box for the
battery in the Cherokee...Thanks for this post Frank I hadn't ever
given this subject much thought. I'm afraid of fire.

There is something out there better than hot glue.

Go to a big box home supply house, and look in the area where professional
electrical tools are displayed, and near them and other things like
electrical tape, wire nuts and the like, you will find what you need. You
want liquid electrical tape, as I believe the stuff is named. You dip what
you want to insulate in the stuff, and it insulates the connection as it
sets up. It is good stuff, and similar to what you use to dip tool handles
into for rubber insulating grips.

Don't make that your only protection, though. An inline fuse, even one with
a pretty high rating, close as possible to the battery is your best friend.
So is mechanical protection of the battery and wires, all of the way to what
is consuming the electricity.
--
Jim in NC