RNC TFR: Special permission for MMU and TEB but not CDW?

Old August 28th 04, 01:30 PM
Andrew Gideon

Default RNC TFR: Special permission for MMU and TEB but not CDW?

There aren't enough wealthy pilots at CDW to contribute to Republican
coffers? Why else do the jet-heavy airports get special procedures while
Caldwell is left hanging?

Or does someone really believe that a 172 is more of a threat than a
Citation or Gulfstream or some such?

- Andrew

Old August 28th 04, 04:18 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Andrew Gideon wrote:

There aren't enough wealthy pilots at CDW to contribute to Republican
coffers? Why else do the jet-heavy airports get special procedures while
Caldwell is left hanging?

Or does someone really believe that a 172 is more of a threat than a
Citation or Gulfstream or some such?

Reading the NOTAM indicates that the FAA is well aware that a Citation would be a
greater threat than a 172. In addition to nearly all of the restrictions on traffic
into CDW, anyone going into MMU is restricted to a 6nm corridor when the tower is
open. It appears that no flight plan is necessary for MMU traffic when the tower is
open, but pilots still need to get a squawk code. Sounds to me like they did CDW
pilots a favor.

George Patterson
If you want to know God's opinion of money, just look at the people
he gives it to.
Old August 28th 04, 05:19 PM
Andrew Gideon

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Sounds to me like they did CDW pilots a favor.

I'm sorry. Perhaps I'm missing the obvious; what is the favor?

- Andrew

Old August 28th 04, 07:50 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Andrew Gideon wrote:

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Sounds to me like they did CDW pilots a favor.

I'm sorry. Perhaps I'm missing the obvious; what is the favor?

They did not restrict pilots approaching CDW to a specific corridor. Until recently,
I was based at Old Bridge. If I want to fly from there to CDW today, I simply file a
flight plan, get my squawk code, and make a beeline for Caldwell. If I want to fly to
Morristown, I can skip the flight plan, but I still need to call ATC to get a squawk
code, so I haven't saved anything there IMO. I can't fly a beeline, however; I have
to circle around to the northwest of MMU and approach the airport from that
direction. That also puts me in the situation of sharing a relatively small piece of
air with some much faster traffic. With a direct approach from Old Bridge, I would
not have to do that until very close to the airport.