Avgas Where is the ceiling?

Old April 21st 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Avgas Where is the ceiling?

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Not to degenerate this to a political argument, but numerous studies have
been
done to determine the "true" price of gasoline in the U.S.... not what
the pump price
is. The studies vary, but usually it adds an additional $2-$6/gallon
that we pay for
the fuel, only indirectly through other taxes.

Could you expand on that, please?
--

He may be referring to THIS report:

http://209.200.74.155/doc/Real%20Pri...20Gasoline.pdf

from the US-based "International Center for Technology Assessment".

It was done way back 1998 or 2000, I believe, and concluded the "true" price
could be from around 4.60 (then), up to more than $14 a gallon... and that
the consumer was shielded from this in various ways.

Old April 21st 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Juan Jimenez wrote:

That's what they were saying in the 70's during the oil embargo... It will
come down.

Well, it'll only come down maybe 40c after the summer.

It's very different this time compared with the 70s. There's no
embargo, only peaked out production and much higher consumption from
U.S, China and India.

100LL will hit $5/gallon average sometime the next 3 years, guaranteed.

Old April 21st 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Hooray! autogas STC rules.

I just paid $2.96/gallon for autogas on my Grumman. It's quite a jump
from $2.62 I paid a week ago but more than $1 less than 100LL this time.

Old April 21st 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

To truely appreciate the price of low gas price in U.S. (compared with
Europe), we need to account about 1/3 to 1/2 of our military budget and
consider that a fuel tax. Imagine a U.S. w/o any need of foreign oil
and we can produce all the fuel we need within the country, there's
absolutely no need for a military the size we have right now. 2,000
Nuclear warhead is more than enough to deter any potential threats.

Old April 21st 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Mark" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Doug Palmer" said:
100 LL just jumped from $3.82 to $4.54 at our airport, and at HAF we

Brief pause while the Europeans in the group laugh themselves silly at
our so-called high prices

Who gives a %#^& what the euros think. They have high prices because its
mostly taxes which were created by their elected leaders. Its their own
fault.

....as long as you realize that what taxes you are not collecting on
gasoline, you are ultimately collecting somewhere else, so you end up paying
for it anyway, one way or another.

One estimate has 12.5 billion in annual subsidies to petroleum companies
(and that's back in 1998). That is coming from somewhere.

http://209.200.74.155/doc/Real%20Pri...20Gasoline.pdf

Old April 21st 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"M" wrote in message
oups.com...

To truely appreciate the price of low gas price in U.S. (compared with
Europe), we need to account about 1/3 to 1/2 of our military budget and
consider that a fuel tax.

Can you back those numbers?

Imagine a U.S. w/o any need of foreign oil
and we can produce all the fuel we need within the country, there's
absolutely no need for a military the size we have right now.

Even now, our defense budget, as a percent of federal expenditures, is lower
than even during the Carter yearsm, and much less than in the 1950's.

2,000
Nuclear warhead is more than enough to deter any potential threats.

And if someone breaks into your house, a 155mm howitzer is really not
appropriate.

Old April 21st 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

If you burn 10 gallons an hour and fly 100 hours a year, then an
additional dollar a gallon is $1000 more a year to fly an airplane the
probably costs about 410,000 or more a year to keep. So lets not get
overboard here. Yes fuel prices hurt, but the increase is less than 10%
of the total cost for most of us.

Old April 21st 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

That "410,000" should be "$10,000".

Old April 21st 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Icebound" wrote in message

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Not to degenerate this to a political argument, but numerous studies
have been
done to determine the "true" price of gasoline in the U.S.... not what
the pump price
is. The studies vary, but usually it adds an additional $2-$6/gallon
that we pay for
the fuel, only indirectly through other taxes.

Could you expand on that, please?
--

He may be referring to THIS report:

http://209.200.74.155/doc/Real%20Pri...20Gasoline.pdf

from the US-based "International Center for Technology Assessment".

It was done way back 1998 or 2000, I believe, and concluded the "true"
price could be from around 4.60 (then), up to more than $14 a gallon...
and that the consumer was shielded from this in various ways.

I always have a problem with any report that takes into account, as an added
real cost, money the government DOESN'T take away from a person or company.

That study could have just a easily have said the actual cost of gas is
$100.00/gal but doesn't because the government decided not to tax gas at
X00%.

Old April 21st 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 2006-04-21, ktbr wrote:
Eventually you will see more of this type of processing waste
into energy. But you must realize that it would take a massive
contruction effort to build enough of these plants to make even
a small dent in the total oil needs of the United States.

What would likely happen is market forces would cause a migration rather
than a big conscious effort to build these things. Additionally, the
economics of things like thermal depolymerisation are different - it's
not so much as the traditional having a huge oil well, going to a huge
refinery. The best infrastructure would probably to have the plants
on-site where the waste is already. Such as the one right next to the
Butterball factory.

But, say, $100/barrel oil will ensure that companies go prospecting for
more oil. Suddenly, oil sources that weren't economical become
economical - as do alternate fuels - when oil isn't as cheap as it is
today (and for what you can get out of oil, it's still cheap stuff at
$70 a barrel).

This is very true and not just for NEW oil. South Arkansas has MANY oil
wells that get shut off when the price falls below about $45/barrel and they
don't get restarted until the price goes above $55.

The bad part is a lot of those wells can't restart affordably when the price
goes up and the oil is affectively lost forever.

Avgas STC Mike Granby Owning 12 September 6th 05 07:18 PM
Avgas price and the light plane ownership M Owning 56 July 10th 05 04:55 AM
Avgas Prices aluckyguess Piloting 14 May 6th 05 07:23 AM
service ceiling of F-22 zxcv Military Aviation 7 March 14th 04 10:31 PM
Class C Ceiling Mzsoar Soaring 1 August 18th 03 08:50 PM