Microlight aerotow....can it be done?

Old March 3rd 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Microlight Pilot

Default Microlight aerotow....can it be done?

Can anyone in the group tell me who is using a microlight trike for
aerotow? Thank you for any information.

Old March 3rd 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chipsoars

On Mar 3, 12:19 pm, "Microlight Pilot" wrote:
Can anyone in the group tell me who is using a microlight trike for
aerotow? Thank you for any information.

To aerotow what?

Old March 4th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

they do it for hang gliders.....probably nothing heavier
tim

Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

oups.com...

Old March 5th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bikensoar

Please visit the Wings & Wheels website atwww.wingsandwheels.com

"Microlight Pilot" wrote in message

oups.com...

Can anyone in the group tell me who is using a microlight trike for
aerotow? Thank you for any information.- Hide quoted text -

There are a number of ultralights being used to tow hang gliders,
including trikes. The trike has a
pusher engine and they have come up with an ingenious way to deal with
the tow rope and prop
clearance. The tow rope goes into the prop hub..

There are dozens of hang glider aerotow flight parks all over the US.

Sparrowhawk gliders have been towed with no problems from these
ultralight tow vehicles.

George Young (sparrowhawk #6)

Old March 6th 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Roberts

Trikes have been tested towing gliders in the UK in
the past. I believe it was done at Husbands Bosworth.
As far as I know they were using Rotax 912 equiped
trikes towing single seaters.
Someones bound to come on with more info, or correct
me on this.

I have seen Technam Echo and Technam Golf tugs (3 axis
microlights) used at Omarama in NZ. In fact one day
an Ash25 was put on the back of the Technam Echo to
see what it was like. Ash Pilot reported better climb
rate than with the 172 (which to be fair was fecking
rubbish tug). aparently the echo has quite big
control surfaces and the ash got well out of position
several times with the echo reporting no lack of control
authority.

Several different microlight 3 axis tugs have been
used in Europe. There was an article in S+G a few
years ago on various types used in Germany I think
it was.

Luke

Old March 6th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Roberts

[...]

Exclusive Ed Byrne daily comedy clips on MSN Video
http://specials.uk.msn.com/edbyrne/

Old March 7th 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
alex8735

Picture of a trike towing an ultralight glider: http://www.kesselsweier.de/cam/triketow.jpg

I have also seen hanggliders, a grunau baby and an sg38 behind a
trike. I do not think it would be reasonable to tow anything heavier;-)