O2 Mask On Pilot?

Old August 15th 05, 10:23 PM
fred

Default O2 Mask On Pilot?

At some point in time I remember hearing that above a certain altitude the
pilot or co-pilot must be wearing an O2 mask on commercial flights. Am I
right? Details?

Old August 15th 05, 10:59 PM
Bob Gardner

91.211

Bob Gardner

Old August 15th 05, 11:05 PM
fred

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
91.211

So what the devil is "91.211"?

Bob Gardner

Old August 15th 05, 11:14 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"fred" wrote in message

So what the devil is "91.211"?

FAR 91.211, applicable to the US.

§ 91.211 Supplemental oxygen.

(a) General. No person may operate a civil aircraft of U.S. registry-

(1) At cabin pressure altitudes above 12,500 feet (MSL) up to and including
14,000 feet (MSL) unless the required minimum flight crew is provided with
and uses supplemental oxygen for that part of the flight at those altitudes
that is of more than 30 minutes duration;

(2) At cabin pressure altitudes above 14,000 feet (MSL) unless the required
minimum flight crew is provided with and uses supplemental oxygen during the
entire flight time at those altitudes; and

(3) At cabin pressure altitudes above 15,000 feet (MSL) unless each occupant
of the aircraft is provided with supplemental oxygen.

(b) Pressurized cabin aircraft. (1) No person may operate a civil aircraft
of U.S. registry with a pressurized cabin-

(i) At flight altitudes above flight level 250 unless at least a 10-minute
supply of supplemental oxygen, in addition to any oxygen required to satisfy
paragraph (a) of this section, is available for each occupant of the
aircraft for use in the event that a descent is necessitated by loss of
cabin pressurization; and

(ii) At flight altitudes above flight level 350 unless one pilot at the
controls of the airplane is wearing and using an oxygen mask that is secured
and sealed and that either supplies oxygen at all times or automatically
supplies oxygen whenever the cabin pressure altitude of the airplane exceeds
14,000 feet (MSL), except that the one pilot need not wear and use an oxygen
mask while at or below flight level 410 if there are two pilots at the
controls and each pilot has a quick-donning type of oxygen mask that can be
placed on the face with one hand from the ready position within 5 seconds,
supplying oxygen and properly secured and sealed.

(2) Notwithstanding paragraph (b)(1)(ii) of this section, if for any reason
at any time it is necessary for one pilot to leave the controls of the
aircraft when operating at flight altitudes above flight level 350, the
remaining pilot at the controls shall put on and use an oxygen mask until
the other pilot has returned to that crewmember's station.

Old August 15th 05, 11:19 PM
Happy Dog

"fred" wrote in message news:Tk8Me.

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
91.211

So what the devil is "91.211"?

So what the devil is Google?

+oxygen +"91.211" 480 Hits.

moo

Old August 15th 05, 11:59 PM
Dave S

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

(ii) At flight altitudes above flight level 350 unless one pilot at the
controls of the airplane is wearing and using an oxygen mask that is secured
and sealed and that either supplies oxygen at all times or automatically
supplies oxygen whenever the cabin pressure altitude of the airplane exceeds
14,000 feet (MSL), except that the one pilot need not wear and use an oxygen
mask while at or below flight level 410 if there are two pilots at the
controls and each pilot has a quick-donning type of oxygen mask that can be
placed on the face with one hand from the ready position within 5 seconds,
supplying oxygen and properly secured and sealed.

I flew on an air ambulance Lear 25 for a while.. and I can say I NEVER
saw the cockpit crew remove the masks from the hangars and place them in
"the ready position" even though we routinely went to FL 450-490. I am
wondering how many operators follow this rule.

Dave

Old August 16th 05, 12:09 AM
Bob Moore

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote
(ii) At flight altitudes above flight level 350 unless one pilot at
the controls of the airplane is wearing and using an oxygen mask that
is secured and sealed and that either supplies oxygen at all times or
automatically supplies oxygen whenever the cabin pressure altitude of
the airplane exceeds 14,000 feet (MSL), except that the one pilot need
not wear and use an oxygen mask while at or below flight level 410 if
there are two pilots at the controls and each pilot has a
quick-donning type of oxygen mask that can be placed on the face with
one hand from the ready position within 5 seconds, supplying oxygen
and properly secured and sealed.

The Part 121 requirement for Certificated Aircarriers is more restrictive
than for Part 91 Operators. The FL350 is replaced with FL 250.

Bob Moore
Old August 16th 05, 12:29 AM
Sylvain

fred wrote:

So what the devil is "91.211"?

14 CFR 91.211

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text... .1.3.10.3.7.6

--Sylvain
Old August 16th 05, 12:37 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
21...

The Part 121 requirement for Certificated Aircarriers is more restrictive
than for Part 91 Operators. The FL350 is replaced with FL 250.

But still not applicable to the Greek 737 that went down yesterday, although
a similar requirement may have existed for them.

Old August 16th 05, 04:13 AM
GeorgeB

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 23:37:07 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 121...

The Part 121 requirement for Certificated Aircarriers is more restrictive
than for Part 91 Operators. The FL350 is replaced with FL 250.

But still not applicable to the Greek 737 that went down yesterday, although
a similar requirement may have existed for them.

What would have been the effect if the O2 bottle for the cockpit had
been inadvertently filled with breathing air rather than O2? I seem
to remember that this was discovered to have happened somewhere in the
US in the last few months? I would think that a casual test would
have found it normal, but that the PPO2 would have been substantially
too low even with a pressurized mask?