ASW 20 BL polar file

Old November 14th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard

Default ASW 20 BL polar file

I think what Bert was saying was that a little lift
on the glide, and your 20 will match a 20B. Or a little
sink on the run, and your 20B will fall behind a 20.

I would start off with the stock 20 polar, or maybe
shift it better by 2 or 3 MPH for the same sink rates.
Fly this, and see how your plane does relative to
that polar. Just think how happy you will be if your
glider is better than the polar you enter into your
glide computer (you get home higher than you thought
you could!) and how sad you will be if it is not as
good as the polar (you keep meeting cows and farmers
within 5 miles of your home field).

Remember, the differences between serial numbers of
the same model can be far mor than the difference between
models.

Start conservative, and work up to what it really can
do.

My nickel's worth.

Steve Leonard

Old November 14th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bert Willing[_2_]

No. What I was saying is that the airfoils of the B/C models didn't bring
any significant improvements in performance, simple as that. Now if you want
to believe the manufacturer's data with 46:1 for a BL, that would be purely
wishful thinking... Nothing wrong with it, except when low on long final :-)
:-)

In comparison, my Ventus CM with 17.6m is given with 48:1, and has been
measured with 46:1 (and that is what you get as an answer if you ask
Schempp-Hirth today). There is no way that a 20BL will perform as well as a
Ventus C.

The ASW20 was measured by the Idaflieg with 41.3:1 at somethingh like 95kph
(36 kg/m2) in 15m.
The B-model has a higher wing loading, that's about it.

It is very true that a good ASW20 will easily burn a not-so-good ASW20B/C.

Bert

Old November 14th 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
--=JJay=--[_2_]

Bert Willing pisze:
No. What I was saying is that the airfoils of the B/C models didn't bring
any significant improvements in performance, simple as that. Now if you want
to believe the manufacturer's data with 46:1 for a BL, that would be purely
wishful thinking... Nothing wrong with it, except when low on long final :-)
:-)

In comparison, my Ventus CM with 17.6m is given with 48:1, and has been
measured with 46:1 (and that is what you get as an answer if you ask
Schempp-Hirth today). There is no way that a 20BL will perform as well as a
Ventus C.

The ASW20 was measured by the Idaflieg with 41.3:1 at somethingh like 95kph
(36 kg/m2) in 15m.
The B-model has a higher wing loading, that's about it.

It is very true that a good ASW20 will easily burn a not-so-good ASW20B/C.

OK that answer told me much more I'm looking for this polar and
manual to help my friend who is soon going to fly one in Africa. He
doesn't know this glider and will not have much time to experiment so he
wants to prepare as good as he can before going there.
Burt and Steve, thank you for answer.

PS
I'm still looking for manual in English

regards
--
--=JJay=--
www.aeroklub.deblin.pl, my photos @ airliners.net - http://tiny.pl/rcwl
Old November 14th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus Graeber

I'm still looking for manual in English

A quick search with Google revealed this:

http://mgrim.nl/_downloads/asw20l/as...ght-manual.pdf

It is for the ASW 20 though, not BL or any other derivate.

Markus

Old November 14th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
--=JJay=--[_2_]

Markus Graeber pisze:
I'm still looking for manual in English

A quick search with Google revealed this:

http://mgrim.nl/_downloads/asw20l/as...ght-manual.pdf

It is for the ASW 20 though, not BL or any other derivate.

Thanks a lot It was so obvious that I didn't even try to look for it
on google

regards
--
--=JJay=--
www.aeroklub.deblin.pl, my photos @ airliners.net - http://tiny.pl/rcwl

ASW 20 BL polar file --=JJay=--[_2_] Soaring 2 November 14th 07 01:02 PM
K8 Polar Mike Schumann Soaring 2 July 22nd 06 04:10 PM
WinPilot polar file data points [email protected] Soaring 0 April 21st 05 03:18 AM
HP-11/Sisu Polar [email protected] Soaring 7 February 17th 05 10:46 PM
Do you have a Winpilot polar file for ASK-23 Bo Soaring 0 March 18th 04 12:03 PM