A somewhat different perspective on germs.

Old May 12th 20, 04:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

Default A somewhat different perspective on germs.

Be advised the following is a link to a Gerorge Carlin video with extremely strong language.

DON'T WATCH IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED.
https://youtu.be/JSbT7JVNEU4
Old May 12th 20, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Excellent. No wimp there.

He spoke at the National Press Club in 98, Washington was a lot the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc0ZHsoHAlE

Old May 12th 20, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 1:02:09 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Excellent. No wimp there.

He spoke at the National Press Club in 98, Washington was a lot the same..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc0ZHsoHAlE

He is right that there is, in normal circumstances, no need to get obsessed by avoiding all "germs" but ignoring that we should be very concerned about e.g. safe food hygiene. Sadly he appears to have no understanding of current knowledge about the difference between exposure to the types of "germs" (e.g. many natural soil bacteria) that don't do us any harm but do stimulate our immune systems, versus the types of "germs" that we would do better to avoid. Lumping all the countless varieties of pathogenic bacteria, viruses and fungi together as "germs" (a non-medical term) just shows ignorance.. I presume he is a comedian because if not he is, on balance, totally misleading.
Old May 12th 20, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

Ahhem, I will admit that this made me laugh: "I presume he is a comedian because if not he is, on balance, totally misleading."

Old May 12th 20, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Szikora

In our sport, it is hard to avoid all the germ(an)s!
Old May 13th 20, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 10:49:05 PM UTC-5, Mike N. wrote:
Be advised the following is a link to a Gerorge Carlin video with extremely strong language.

DON'T WATCH IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED.
https://youtu.be/JSbT7JVNEU4

Years ago, I knew somebody who had OCD. He couldn't open public bathroom doors. It's socially acceptable for women to go to public bathrooms in pairs but honestly it was...disquieting to see a guy wait for somebody else to go then try to beat them out the door once it was opened.
Old May 15th 20, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 11:49:05 PM UTC-4, Mike N. wrote:
Be advised the following is a link to a Gerorge Carlin video with extremely strong language.

DON'T WATCH IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED.
https://youtu.be/JSbT7JVNEU4

A recent reread of" guns, germs and steel" , by Jared Diamond, an
examination of the threats to mankind. In the chapter on germs, the author
cites a virulent virus as being the #1 threat!
Here we are!
JMF
Old May 15th 20, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Yes, GC was (passed away a number of years ago) a comedian.....look up his name and "7 words..." (not work safe).... in part, I agree with him.....minor germ hits keeps your immune system working.....sheesh, I had a friend that took Purell on camping trips.....a little dirt won't likely hurt you and make you healthier...

As to what peeps do across the globe coming out of lockdown....sorta depends on where you are.
Pilot issues are more likely needing a signoff, thus close to others.....flying solo can be OK.....