So the Discus 2 is 20 years old this year.

Old July 2nd 18, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

Default So the Discus 2 is 20 years old this year.

Makes you wonder it all that time why there hasn't been a better
performing Standard Class machine. Have we reached the limits of modern
unflapped aerodynamics, or is simply that there is no perceived demand for

a new standard glass glider and therefore not economic to produce?

Old July 2nd 18, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Next big jump will be in materials, lighter and stronger of course that = more $$$$$$
Old July 3rd 18, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 07/02/2018 01:09 PM, Paul T wrote:
Makes you wonder it all that time why there hasn't been a better
performing Standard Class machine. Have we reached the limits of modern
unflapped aerodynamics, or is simply that there is no perceived demand for

a new standard glass glider and therefore not economic to produce?

The mainstream vendors are shipping 80-90% of their production as
powered gliders now, those with gasoline engines generally need 18M or
more to keep the wing loading reasonable. The strength improvements
with carbon fiber are being used to increase the aspect ratios, which
gives getter performance. Looks like the vendors have largely lost
interest in standard class ships, along with the customer base.
Old July 3rd 18, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

While announcing the new neo-winglets for the LS8, DG stated that similar improvements to standard class gliders can be achieved through upgrades compared to a completely new development. The economic risk is far lower, though. The LS8 is back in production since 2017. A similar upgrade is available to the ASW24 whose successor never really made it into the Standard class ranks.

Same goes for Schempp-Hirth who added the FES to their D2c design. This model became quite popular in the last years. In 2017, the 2nd place in 15m-German nationals was achieved in an D2a.
Old July 3rd 18, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

So, 80-90% of the production from mainstream companies are now “airplanes”, albeit with high aspect ratio wings.
How sad.
Old July 3rd 18, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Monday, July 2, 2018 at 12:15:06 PM UTC-7, Paul T wrote:
Makes you wonder it all that time why there hasn't been a better
performing Standard Class machine. Have we reached the limits of modern
unflapped aerodynamics, or is simply that there is no perceived demand for

a new standard glass glider and therefore not economic to produce?

I lament the passing of interest in this class. My first glider was an ASW-24. I had 75 hours in Grob's/ ASK-21's and baby Grob's. Taught myself XC flying in that bird. Standard is as simple as it gets, so you can concentrate on our early xc adventures, plus it has lots of performance. I had a goal of getting 400 hours that year, flew every chance I got, played hooky from work, took soaring vacations, ended the year with 275 hours and a boat lot of experience flying the Sierra Mountains. If I had super powers I would have Standard class, eighteen meter, and open. The standards could be 15 meter or 15/18 meter. The eighteen meter birds would be 18 or 18/21 and the glorious open birds would be legal to 900Kg.